PlayStation 5

Thank you. I’ll have to check that out.

I ended up buying Demon Souls when it was discounted to $44. Though I haven’t played it yet as I still have Hitman 3 to finish. But I also seemed to get The Show for free?? Or is that just the PS5 tricking me into thinking I own it and I have to purchase it in-game?

Do you have to actually open up the playstation to install a new drive or is there just a cover that you pop off to get access to the slot?

There’s a specific bay for it after you pop the cover.

Wow, that seems like a huge pain in the butt. I don’t really like the idea of being stuck with just one proprietary solution, however this solution might actually be worse. I got to think there are a lot of people who own consoles that aren’t comfortable with 1) trying to figure out what drive is compatible, 2) possibly have to purchase and install a heatsink to said drive, and then 3) having to take apart their console in order to install the SSD. It will be interesting to see where things are at in like a year from now. I think I prefer the Microsoft solution to this if they have more drive options available then just the one. Maybe by then Sony at least has drives that are marked “compatible with PS5” or certain drives sold as PS5 drives to make it a little easier?

Drive makers are already marketing their stuff as PS5 compatible. In short order “will this work in a PS5?” will be one of the top questions on Amazon for any SSD just like you see about MicroSD cards and the Switch. Anyone scared of adding a heatsink can just avoid those models, but that’s a cheap and easy option for anyone who wants it.

And installing an m.2 drive in the PS5 is way easier than upgrading a drive on the PS3 or PS4 which plenty of people managed. Both of those required you to reinstall the firmware from a USB drive and could involve a backup and restore process that took tens of hours to complete. It’s even easier than adding an SD card to a 3DS, which required removing the entire back casing.

Finally success in the PS5 market during today’s Walmart drop. It supposedly doesn’t ship until September 28, but if all goes well I will now be the owner of a new PS5 before the holidays.

Congrats! It’s a nice system even if the true PS5 exclusives have been pretty slow to arrive. Still really happy I put the effort in to get one.

Congrats!!!

My favorite part about this thread is randomly hearing how terrible PS3 and PS4 were at certain things now that PS5 is so much better!

I’ll go back to quietly enjoying my retroactive console slander now.

Congrats! Hope there’s something out there for you to play on it.

I know I was pretty happy to have been able to grab a PS5 all those months ago but, to be honest, it’s sat unused far more often than played. There’s really not a whole lot I’m interested in at the moment; even Fenyx Rising, which is the only game I purchased, is only a sometime-draw. And all those many free games from PS+ just languish in the backlog (years of PS+ games). Weird.

Bring on Diablo IV and it’ll make up for it, though. That’s going to be worth the cost of PS5 alone for entertainment value.

I mean, it was nice to be able to replace the hard drives at all on those systems. But people have a super bad memory about what doing that involved.

I never beat the original Insomniac Spider-Man, but I really enjoyed Miles Morales and thought it really brought the pretty.

Controller started to experience stick drift over the past couple days. Reading online apparently Sony expects you to provide your own box and pay shipping. Screw that. My brand new controller with the protection plan is going to start mysteriously acting up in the next couple weeks.

I’ve used it fairly heavily as my main gaming system due to the lack of video cards… which doesn’t make it any less disappointing that it’s broken in under a year.

Anyone else mess around the Hunter’s Arena: Legends (PS+)? I didn’t have high expectations going in. The tutorial is awful. The combat has all these different moves but there was no way to tell why you would use one over another.

I figured I could let that slide and maybe figure it all out as I played more. But the interface. Good god. My PS5 is hooked up to a large TV. The main UI is fine if a bit on the small side. It was difficult to read the tutorial instructions and figure out what buttons they wanted you to push. If you try to read the text on what certain items do, you can forget it. I swear it’s a 3-point font. I asked my son to take a look as I thought maybe it’s just my aging eyes. Nope. He could not read anything if he was more than 3 feet from the screen.

In a time when user accessibility settings are becoming the norm, this is just inexcusable. Not worth the zero $$ I paid.

Booted up PvZ: Battle for Neighborville (also on PS+). At least everything is readable.

I’ve had a PS5 on back order for three (?) months or something like that. The retailer rang me yesterday and said it’s arrived. Brilliant I say i’ll be in tomorrow to collect.

and then…

At 11:59 PM last evening New Zealand went into Level 4 lockdown. Which means only essential shops open…

$%#^@(%%$#!@#

Seems like various UK retailers are getting meaningful stock on a somewhat regular basis now (like every couple weeks). Still selling out very quickly, but in some cases it’s a matter of hours rather than seconds. I might actually try to get one.

Damn that sucks. Well at least you’re in New Zealand which is very cool.

Managed to get a “pre-order” from GAME just now. A bundle, but stuff I was probably going to buy anyway. Should be delivered by the end of the month.

Incidentally, I know that transferring saves between PS4 and PS5 can be a pain. Is that only the case between PS4 and PS5 versions of games, or is it also true when you’re running the back compat version on the PS5? And is there any benefit to having a s Spiderman save for Miles Morales or is it completely independent?

Back compat it’s the same as moving saves between 2 PS4s I think. PS4 to PS5 version is usually a one way thing and varies game to game, some require you export it with the PS4 version fist, others can just import the PS4 save and some just do it automatically (rare) but they’ve been sorting that stuff out and getting better over time.