PlayStation 5

Only 30 hours left!

IIRC, it does that in the background so you can play games while it works…

Yeah, Wi-Fi wasn’t the best option for that.

The transfer actually hung on my PS5 after 5 hours, which required a factory reset to fix, undoing everything. To recover the PS4 I had to boot to safe mode and update the system software. Now I’m trying to transfer only selected saves, one account at a time. Nice when new tech works so well.

I used psplus to upload all my saves to the cloud on PS4 and then downloaded the saves to PS5 from cloud. Took 30-40 minutes, though.

I tested Control Ultimate edition (start of the game) with performance mode/graphics mode on/off on my 1080P TV.

Well, if you want smooth 60 FPS then you need to use the performance mode. There are fake reflections in this mode, they look immersive enough.

Switching back to graphics mode, the reflections go further than the fake ones, and it looks great, but the 30 FPS even without enemies felt uneven. And I am only on 1080P … So it is the same as on a 4K TV?

Same with Demons Souls, but there aren’t many ray tracing situations in Boletaria. Some puddles of water I guess… So 60 FPS for me here, too.

Also, when hearing about the amazing vibration of the new controller, yeah, didn’t do much to me. Even in Astro playroom. Different surfaces rumble different. Overhyped! There are some neat rumble effects in DeS, like when a guy threw a fire bomb from above, I had a faint rumbling to warn me of incoming damage.

It sounds harsh, I know, but I am okay with the system, letting me play my older games on 60 FPS and great new looking games on 60 FPS, too. I can live without RT.

Mine refused to do an automatic transfer, so I just ended up manually doing the saves and redownloading games.

Demon’s souls has no ray tracing. You get higher resolution in cinematic mode and other very minor changes. It’s not the recommended way to play.

Games like Miles Morales and Ratchet & Clank have a 60fps with ray tracing that works great.

Devs are still figuring out Ray Tracing, some of the early stuff like ports of old games may not be the most representative of performance. Insomniac, who seem to have the best handle on reflections on PS5, even evolved what they offered as originally you got RT/30FPS or 60FPS but they were able to patch in RT/60FPS. Metro Exodus which uses it for lighting but not reflections was able to hit 60FPS.

Doom Eternal got an update for 1800p/60 FPS and RT for PS5. I will check that out.

Nothing harsh about that. There’s a reason so many games are offering 60 FPS performance modes and that’s been my preference for every game that offered it. I think I tried RT in Control for all of 30 seconds before I got tired of the low FPS smearing and sluggish input. The combat in that game greatly benefits from a higher frame rate.

I’m excited to see what games built specifically for these new consoles can do in the future once developers have settled in. The peek at the Dead Space remake had some good visuals, for example. Still need to play Ratchet and Clank but I heard there were some nasty bugs that needed fixing.

Yeah, I remember the wifi transfer hanging for me and, despite all the warnings of stopping it, I did so without any consequences for the PS4 or PS5. I used PS+ to have the saves in the cloud but, really, I wasn’t going to access them or continue any games anyway, so it didn’t matter.

I hadn’t heard the warnings about the wifi transfer before attempting it or I wouldn’t even have bothered. They really should have put big warnings on that option by now, even recommending people don’t do it.

Showcase event is live now:

So TLDR there is a lot of janky looking stuff coming out

Insomniac is working on both Wolverine and Spiderman 2.
Gran Turismo 7 looked good - couldn’t tell if there was a mix of open world and circuit racing. No release date though. Must have missed it. March 2022.
KOTOR remake was a surprising opening.

Lots of awesome looking stuff in there. If you want to have the best game trailers, get the Deathloop guys to make them for you. Holy smoke that game… wow. Also, Ghostwire: Tokyo gets even more amazing the more I see it. I cannot wait to play that one.

One thing’s for damn sure, PlayStation has a lot of exclusives coming.

March 4, 2022 for Gran Turismo. That’s purty.

Sony making the Marvel Gaming Universe too as apparently Wolverine takes place in same world as the Spider-Man games.

Nice on GT in March. That’s one of the main series of games I play on the PS and it’s been a long while since I touched Sport. Since last time I played GT, I jumped to a 65" 4K tv from my old 1080 46" That’s going to make this new iteration look leaps and bounds better than anything I saw before.

That was a really impressive showcase. Tchia looked fantastic. Forspoken continues to impress. Project Eve looked crazy and exciting. Ghostwire looks better every time we see it. Wolverine out of nowhere is a huge get, especially made by Insomniac who are killing it. Even KOTOR remake being a PS5/PC exclusive was a shock, and a big deal.

And that’s not to mention God of War Ragnarok and Spiderman 2 which both look fantastic.

Next Spring on PS5 is just going to be insane between Horizon, Gran Turismo, and Forspoken.

I have KOTOR on Xbox/360 and iPad and have never completed it. Maybe I need to get a PS5 just to complete my collection of platforms I haven’t played it on?

Yeah, you want the full set, otherwise you’re wasting your time!