PlayStation 5

You’ve undoubtedly seen my take on that piece of paper. :)

Agreed that the colors are cool. I’m happy with the basic white. As wacky as the PS5 looks in pictures and ads and stuff, I think it’s cool sitting behind the left side of my TV. If they were going to make the equivalent of a PC in a console box, this is how to do it IMO. Fun lights. Weird, wavy case.

I wonder if these will have the XOTRIANGLESQUARE print on them?

PS5 Remote Play from a PS4 over the Internet works and is mildly astounding.

I know some folks like @stusser like to tout Streaming as The Only Future, and I still totally disagree that’s the case, however, I had an opportunity to try out Remote Play from my PS4 Pro located in Norristown, PA to my PS5 located at my home in Reading, PA and I came away impressed.

I’m not sure how many have tried this or even know it’s a thing, but basically if you turn on some settings on your PS5, it will basically be waiting for you to connect to it from anywhere on the Internet and allow for streaming play. If you have a PS4 elsewhere, you simply run the app while logged into your account and it’ll locate and turn on the PS5 and slap you right down at the main screen as if you’re sitting in your living room.

At my girlfriend’s place, Internet speed isn’t a huge priority so this was a 20Mb line I was dealing with. Downloads for Warzone/Vanguard were going to take awhile. Ultimately I did get those installed and played them local, but when I was done with that for the night, I tried to connect to the PS5… and it worked! At first, the picture quality was suspect, and so was I. It stabilized fairly quickly. As I moved around the menu, I could detect a little bit of controller delay, but not a ton of it, and it reminded me of playing say the Genesis Mini or some other recent retro device that has some lag. It’s enough for you to notice at first, but it does become “OK” over time.

That said, I thought I’m going to push this with an action game and I wanted to play something graphically intense that requires fast action but is a bit forgiving so Rift Apart was the choice. I played for about an hour. I got two warnings about instability in the connection, but for the rest of the time it was damn near like sitting in my own living room… albeit at a lower resolution (1080p monitor) and not as sharp and crisp as it is at home. I could probably have convinced someone that I had put a PS5 in my PS4 Pro, though. It really does get that close that the untrained eye likely would be fooled.

Obviously, you’re missing some of the experience in a PS5 game. No haptics, which frankly I really like on PS5, and as a gamer, you definitely feel like it’s just not quite as good as it should be (and is… back home) but given I’m sort of living between two places lately, it really did give me options I didn’t think I had.

This is certainly an edge case usage for PS5, and remote play for anyone is going to be something you use sparingly, but I’ll be goddamned if it doesn’t just plain work. I think what impressed me most was the connection to a sleeping PS5, playing, and then putting it back to sleep as if I was right there.

Still not interested in an all streaming future. I think that’s bullshit for a lot of reasons. As a supplement to me owning hardware? It probably has a place.

I had no idea they supported streaming outside the house, I thought people were using VPNs and zerotier and whatnot to get around that limitation.

State of the art today is just as you described, slightly laggy but not too bad and 1080p. That will improve over time.

It’s all built right in and it works. I was as clueless as you are. Didn’t even know it was a thing. If you have both consoles, it’s right up front on PS4 as an icon on the ribbon. I was truly like, “naaaahhhh… that’s not going to work” and then all the above happened.

Really rare that tech, like, delights you. Very cool. And you didn’t need to open a port-forward or anything, right? So it must be proxied through their servers or something.

I did nothing more than enable the right settings on the PS5 to make it accessible while sleeping. That’s it! On a PS4, it tells you what to do on the PS5 to make it happen.

I’m pretty sure since both consoles are connecting to Sony HQ Servers, it just matches you up there and then probably streams more directly after that? Not sure of the deets obviously, but I bet someone on the Internets has sniffed out what’s up.

To add… I’ve used the PS5 a lot and I’m consistently impressed with the console and the fact it has exclusive games I want to play will keep me locked to it through the generation. The other stuff I think they do extremely well is recording gameplay and then getting it to YouTube, or streaming via Twitch. Their built in methods for all that just plain work and are super easy for anyone to use in a very short amount of time.

The User Experience of PS5 never really leaves me wanting and in fact often astounds me if I stop to think for a moment about how much stuff they pack in there around the games themselves.

After a quick google it looks like it does require a port forward, but you probably have UPnP enabled on your router so it handled all that stuff.

https://remoteplay.dl.playstation.net/remoteplay/lang/en/troubleshoot.html

Added to the prior post, but yeah, I’m sure I have that enabled.

I’d say that the cases where you’re actually streaming from a datacenter and not just some residentially connected PS4 are likely better. Certainly, that was my experience playing on Gamepass’s cloud service. Really just much better than I would have expected.

In this case were you streaming from the PS5 to the PS4? The language used made it somewhat unclear if you were doing that, or going the other way.

Possibly, if your master console’s host’s internet connection sucks. Otherwise I’d expect them to perform pretty similarly.

Playing on PS4. The stream is coming from the PS5. No reason to go the other way.

Ya, this was exactly what I was thinking… Although there’s KIND of a reason to go the other way, in that you can avoid downloading and installing it on the new system.

But the big gain is what you’re doing, in that it lets you play the new hotness on the old system.

If both Sony and MS covered this fully with streaming from datacenters, then it’d eliminate the need for developers to bother supporting the last gen stuff, which would be better for everyone.

MS has a ton of stuff streaming from xCloud but it certainly isn’t 100% of the library, particularly on 360 and earlier.

No way my home internet would let me stream my PS5 outside of my house, but I have really enjoyed streaming within my house to my iPad. Really nice experience.

I wonder what kind of upstream bandwidth you need at the PS5 home?

It’s only 1080p, I’m sure 15Mbps is more than sufficient. Consistency and latency will matter more than bandwidth for most people.

I mean, in my case I have 300Mb at home. I knew that wouldn’t be an issue. The GF also uses Hulu Live for TV and there could easily be at least one more device streaming when I’m gaming, so that 20Mb connection on the receiving end handled it all in stride. *shrug*

I’ve been pretty adamant that this is not the future, but I do see that it can work if you’re willing to lower your standards. Personally I am not unless circumstances interfere, and I suspect that one user using one PS5 is a lot better situationally than one user hitting a data center (where I’m betting real money they’ll have a lot of virtualization eventually if they don’t already), so this is the ideal option IMO. It’s a nice value add for sure.

Also, this was all with Comcast/Xfinity. We’re both customers with them.

New yearly stats page with free avatars too:

Not working for lots of people atm

They’ve fixed the issues if anyone else was having problems with that link.

Here’s mine, no surprise to anyone who knows me:

14 hours online, 125 hours in VR

Wow! That’s an amazing testimony to Dreams. I started Dreams a couple of years ago but never got through that tutorial - if you could summarize it, what is it about Dreams that makes it so compelling, to a newbie?