PlayStation 5

Ah, I guess that’s possible… I guess I would have expected them to just ship back a new unit to him.

That’s super trash then, because it means they didn’t really fix it, and now they want money to fix it.

Crazy thing is I barely use this thing. When I first got it, I plugged it in and played Spider-Man for a night. The next day it was bricked, wouldn’t turn on at all, so I got it repaired by Sony. It took like a month to get it back (this was in Nov/Dec 2020).

See?

I probably haven’t turned the PS5 on since October 2021 when we lost power for a week after a big storm. I was using it to watch blu rays. On a whim I wanted to watch a blu ray and tried it again last week and dead.

So it’s not like I use it heavily. And there’s no power problems. I have it plugged unto a surge protector, and my entire house runs through a Tesla Powerwall so there is no interruption in power, ever.

This PS5 is just defective.

i’m assuming this is unrelated, but regarding that first bricking, you didn’t have that issue where Spiderman was CAUSING the PS5 to be bricked? Because I recall that being a thing.

No that was a software issue but it would power up. Mine doesn’t power up at all. The power supply, i assume, is dead.

If I may ask, did you file your warranty claim with Visa or Mastercard, or the bank? The way (most) credit card warranty benefits work is they double the length of your existing warranty up until 1 or 2 years, so it sounds weird that they would tell you 90 days for anything. Those claims get filed at Visa (Card Benefit Services) or MC (https://us.mycardbenefits.com/). If you talked to the bank, I could easily see them getting confused and trying to submit a billing dispute, which has a much shorter time limit to submit.
That said, every single card has its own unique snowflake collection of feature, so its entirely possible that you really have a very crappy version of the benefit, especially if you’ve had the card for a while.

Damn, that sucks. Especially when there’s no consumer protection laws that says shit you buy is supposed to work?

Yeah and they denied it. I’m going to call them to make sure they did it as a warranty claim but I think I’m SOL.

I dunno man… having trouble with both of the new consoles seems to indicate a problem in your house and not necessarily with these devices. You really ought to check out the power situation in your home.

Appreciate it but my first time it failed when I was living in an apartment and this one failed in the house I bought last summer. My house really won’t have any power issues due to the Powerwall. Totally different setups. It’s the console.

I guess I’m not up on Powerwall technology. Why is it that the Powerwall could not be a problem with your devices?

That said, having it happen in two different locations does usually preclude it being a power source issue.

Do you have mutant powers that affect electronics?

My sister’s PS5 died the same way this week - won’t boot up and can’t even eject a disk. My guess was the power supply. Hopefully we aren’t seeing the beginning of a repair plague like the 360 for year old systems.

Did she have it plugged into a surge protector or directly into the wallapuctus?

Bravo. Brah. Vo.

Been a while, go get one.

Thanks for the link and Ugh, I got all the way through shopping and payment info, right up to the moment of truth and then chickened out (or wised up?) and closed my tab.

I just splurged on a new OLED TV and this would go so nicely with it… but I reeeeallllly shouldn’t right now. It was $600 in the cart but then you add renewing my PS Plus subscription and a game or two and it’s just too much.

Thanks @triggercut ! PS5 is finally available to the peon masses. I saw the message many hours past your post and still managed to get a PS5 with a drive (which I wanted for Blu-ray and ultra HD movies I own/rent). I had to get Forgotten West too, but I enjoyed the first one so that’s way better than paying scalper/bundle prices. I also got a Pulse 3D headset as my gold one is falling apart and I really liked it. As a side note, Sony didn’t contact me for my “invite.” I just jumped in based on the post here. That’s sort of frustrating, but it’s in the past now. For me anyway. Sorry @merryprankster

So…how easy is it to upgrade the SSD? Can I do it afterwards or is it better to do right away? Is there a list of recommended SSDs? Depending on price I’d probably get a 2TB just to be good for the life of the console without having to uninstall everything I’m not actively playing. But maybe 1TB could work with the default drive too.

It looks like PSVR from PS4 still works, but I need to contact Sony about a free adapter. I’ll get on that as the only threat to retiring the PS4 now is family revolt over the loss of Beat Saber.

I bought my son this drive: SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RK2SR23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?tag=qt3-20

and this heat sink:

And you just plug and play in the expansion slot. The drive has worked perfectly now for 6 months…he has many, many games on the thing.

I found the default drive to be enough space for me. I mean sure it would be nice to have it a bit bigger, but unless you play more than 6-7 games at once you probably will be fine. Of course that’s assuming you have a good connection to download stuff.