PlayStation 5

These:

The one listed were 3600 not 7000 right?

Edit: maybe I had them confused with the sd thread I was following.

The Best Buy link was to a PCIe gen 4 ssd. Manufacturer indicates reads up to 6600mb/s.

Worth acknowledging that some cheap gen 4 drives are much slower, but the specs should indicate that.

Right on. Thanks!

2tb 980pro is $180 on Amazon. I bit

After a couple months I suddenly have the common coil whine issue (or PSU capacitor, whatever) that people complain about on the Internet. Never noticed it until I started playing DMC 5 at 120 fps. Now it happens even in 60 fps games like Ghost of Tsushima. I can change tabs on the menu and it will change pitch.

Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. It’s still better than a jet engine fan. Just kind of weird that it started all of a sudden.

Hunh… I have never ever heard my PS5 except when a disc spins up. It’s behind the TV to the left, but still… not a peep.

You should play DMC 5 at 120fps as an experiment.

For science!

I feel like moving it behind a TV would be enough. It’s quieter than a refrigerator. I’ve never been picky about noise so I was really shocked to notice it. I think it’s the way the symptoms appeared (tabbing between menus) that threw me.

Anyway, no worries. Most people get used to it, and supposedly it even goes away on its own sometimes.

Really? Was it that way from the beginning? Like you can just pop in the PS4 game disc and it works?

Yes, I initially played on-sale PS4 disc copies of Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II and Death Stranding before upgrading them to PS5 versions.

Discs. Digital downloads you already owned on PS4. It has full backward compatibility.

How did I not know that? Guess I just assumed they were leaving the previous gen stuff in the dust just like they did going from the PS3 to the PS4.

In that case I’m getting a PS5 Disc version (eventually). Or I’ll wait for the “Slim” or whatever.

Shame I can’t play my PS3 games though. My PS3 controller’s battery is probably super dead.

PS3 to PS4 would have been way harder because of the PS3’s unique architecture. PS4 basically used PC components and so does the PS5 so I suspect backwards compatibility took very little work. I do think there are a small handful of games that don’t work on the PS5 but I think it was mostly games that nobody would ever want to play again anyway.

Wrap up for your year activity is now available.

166 hours in VR. 1 hour in multiplayer.

Most played:

• Dreams
  • Gran Turismo Sport
  • Wytchwood
  • Chocobo Mystery Dungeon Every Buddy
  • Taiko no Tatsujin Drum Session

Both MW and MWII include my Warzone time since that’s how the game is launched through those titles.

They won’t make one for me because I don’t meet their minimum hours requirement. :(

My PS5 was exclusively a Final Fantasy machine and I’m ok with this. Not many other long games (or games, period) that I dug into this year.

You put a lot of hours into this? Meaning, you like it? I grabbed it on sale for my Deck, but haven’t dug in yet- wondering how far I should move it up the queue.

My list:

Spider-Man: Miles Morales – still need to finish this!
Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga – good couch co-op game
SnowRunner – My “goto” game when I can’t decide what to play
Grim Fandango Remastered – always a classic
It Takes Two – bailed on this game when it got too difficult (split second timing on certain puzzles and jumps). Lots of fun up until that point.

My Main gaming is on PC but PS5 has done ok this year