PlayStation 5

I don’t think 500 would be as big of a deal as when the PS3 came out personally. Heck people are tossing crazy money after stupid phone upgrades almost all the time now.

If it’s backwards compatible with the PS4 I would trade in my PS4 probably net 50 bucks to put towards the PS5.

Yeah, $500 is probably the new $400 for consoles. Xbox One X people… it set the new standard.

Yeah, consumer habits may have changed. As someone mentioned above, a good video card costs about as much, and people buy those plenty.

Per a CPI inflation calculator I googled:

Not that it’s a perfect measurement or anything.

So backwards compatibility and 60 fps no lag, no-hitching 2k-4k support for most current gen titles? That would be awesome.

I hope whatever they do with the controller they can make the battery life similar to a Nintendo controller. I constantly have to plug my PS4 controllers in.

Yeah I do. Of course these days they’re asking for 1200 dollars for just a video card. The higher ups at these companies seem to think they can just jack-up prices. Meanwhile, the 1k phones are selling and not a few peeps are just gaming on those.

You are not fucking kidding.

I don’t really need to play longer in one sitting than the battery life, but constantly plugging them in is a giant hassle.

I know I keep harping on this but there’s no hardware configuration that “solves” FPS across the board, whether we’re talking about new PS5 games or the backward compatible possibilities of PS4 games.

Many existing titles have locked frame rates (typically 30 FPS) that won’t just automatically jump to 60 FPS if you put them on better hardware. And some of those are titles that could run at higher than 30 FPS now, but have intentionally opted for a consistent 30 FPS than an uneven 40-50 because a steady frame rate can look better than a higher but inconsistent one. In theory, titles that through some combination of ambition and bad optimization still couldn’t hit a stable 60 FPS PS5 could still look “better” at a stable, locked 30 FPS.

You could see that in a small way with the introduction of the PS4 Pro. Some titles were reworked to take advantage of the PS4 Pro for higher resolution, better frame rate, or both. That required work from the developers. Some titles did see improved frame rate with no developer intervention with the system level “Boost Mode” enabled. But not all titles, and not consistently.

So could some PS4 games jump up to a steady 60 FPS on the PS5? Definitely! But it’s not just a thing that will happen across the board, for several reasons.

500$ for that configuration seems extremely cheap. A comparable PC could probably be had at ~1000$. Of course, PCs are way more flexible, but still - I wonder how they plan to make up for those subsidies. With consoles so far, that has always been with expensive games - but by now, who knows, maybe microtransaction income shares alone can pay for the loss of selling consoles cheap…

I like this. Seems that will be BC compatible, and thats great. If it even let some games meet 60FPS, even better.

$500+5 years of online junk fee= $800.

Higher resolution for 30 fps is fine too. Whatever gets no hitching, smooth, no fps drops.

I bought a charging cradle for my controllers, which has proved to be one of those quality of life things that seem frivolous, but in practice just smooth out everything and ease frustration. I love it.

Very nice. I wonder if it’s worth it for a single controller that I rarely use? How long do these batteries last with no charge before they die permanently? $15 is not expensive, but I have limited space for yet-another-device and yet-another-AC adapter.

[edit]

Never mind. Bluetooth doesn’t work properly when connected to PC anyway.

Sounds great, but also sounds like $600.

Shmancy new SOC, lots of memory, 1T SSD? If they get it to $500, I raise my monocle in salute.

I just gave up and bought a second controller, then just swap it with the one in the cradle when needed. If you wait a while you can get a controller in a fancy color.

This also lends credence to a recent leak showing the system/controller off. If that’s accurate, I have to say I really like the new controllers. Currently PS4 controller is, to me, the third worst between the XBone and Switch but this looks like it might level the playing field there.

https://mammothgamers.com/2019/04/is-this-our-first-look-at-sonys-ps5-controller/

I have my doubts. My guess is 256GB, but at most 512. Even next year, a 1TB SSD will still be $70-$80 alone.

EDIT: Maybe a 1TB version for $149 more than base.

To be honest I rarely have more than one or two games at a time going (one is the honest max) so if the thing was 256GB I’d be fine. But I also have a lot of bandwidth and a 2TB data cap so it’s easy for me to say that now, I guess. I also like to buy physical discs though, and there again one or two installed games at a time would be plenty, especially given how fast installing a game might theoretically be.