PlayStation 5

Yes MS still wants you to buy an Xbox. If you play a third-party cross-platform game like Assassin’s Creed 17 on Xbox, MS makes money from the license fee. If you play it on Windows or PS5, they don’t.

Since all XSX exclusives will also play on Windows, there’s no incentive for people with gaming PCs to purchase their console. This is a wildly pro-consumer move, I’m very happy they did it, and ultimately I think it’ll work out well for them in conjunction with the super attractive Game Pass, which is what they really care about anyway.

Sure, but is the money from those fees bigger than the money they get by selling games and gamepass to PC gamers who would never buy the xbox?

Microsoft makes money selling the game via the Windows Store on PC. If they could just fix the *%#$ing thing…

Well that is the question, isn’t it? Either way, they would prefer everybody buy an Xbox, which is the question I was responding to.

Sure but it is contradictory. When they make games accessible on PC they do it with full understanding that PC gamers are unlikely to buy another x86 machine from them - and they are ok with it. Likely because they actually ran the math.

Yes they did. And what you said, if someone isn’t going to buy an Xbox, they would like to get them into Game Pass, is correct. But their ideal scenario is you buy both.

But Ubisoft only sells their games on Uplay and EGS.

And Origin.

This has nothing to do with the PS5, but I used to watch Mark Cerny playing Marble Madness at my local arcade when I was a kid. He always had all the high scores (“M.C”), which makes sense as the designer of game.

DF taking a closer look at the RT implementations one could spot in the trailers last week.

Their answer is the same as Microsoft’s. It’s up to publishers. And it’s been available for 9 years under the name Cross-Buy. Sony themselves aren’t making any cross-gen games as far as we know, so it wouldn’t apply to anything they’re making.

I assume the PS5 will use 5 Ghz wifi rather than the current 2.4?

My PS4 Pro uses 5 Ghz.

Man, put a wire in those consoles!

Seriously! Best thing you can do for better online play is use wired Ethernet if you can.

Yeah, I think 5Ghz was added for the Slim and the Pro. PS5 will have it.

Is it crazy to anyone else that we’re less than six months from launch and we don’t know the price yet? Don’t they usually announce that at the E3 thing?

Usually, yes, although the x360 was announced in an August. They’re playing chicken this cycle, with the uncertainty of the pandemic and all. Microsoft didn’t announce Lockhart yet and Sony is holding back the price on their digital-only system.

Honestly, I expect both the full PS5 and XSX to be extremely expensive. The real battle will be between the digital-only PS5 and Lockhart. Question is how closely they’re priced, and whether Sony can box Microsoft into a corner by releasing a real PS5 digital-only at a price competitive with a severely underpowered Lockhart.

That may lead to MS canceling the Lockhart entirely, or dropping the price on the XSX, or (my guess) bundling free games or store credit to make it a better value. But it depends on who blinks first, they’re each waiting to see what the other will do.

Yeah, I know they’re both playing chicken. It’s still crazy that everyone just seems to accept it. If MS doesn’t announce prices at their even in a few weeks, I’ll be even more annoyed.