PlayStation Now coming to PC

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/08/23/playstation-now-coming-to-pc-dualshock-4-usb-wireless-adaptor-unveiled/

[quote]
This will bring a wide selection of PlayStation exclusive titles to Windows PC for the very first time, including entries in the Uncharted, God of War, and Ratchet & Clank franchises, as well as beloved PS3 games like The Last of Us and Journey. Current subscribers have a new way to access PS Now’s library of over 400 games, and the PC app provides a new way for even more gamers to discover and play the service.[/quote]

[quote]
Here are the recommended specs for running PS Now on your PC:
Windows 7 (SP1), 8.1 or 10
3.5 GHz Intel Core i3 or 3.8 GHz AMD A10 or faster
300 MB or more; 2 GB or more of RAM
Sound card; USB port
A minimum 5Mbps connection is required to use PS Now on any device. We recommend a wired Internet connection for the optimal experience.[/quote]

No launch date yet.

Traditional consoles dying confirmed.

Isn’t this just the virtual console service that let’s you play older titles for high prices? It isn’t like there will be any PS4 titles in this library.

Finally I can play Journey! I know Tom, like everyone else, loved it!

Er… wait.

(Also, yeah, they’ll never allow PS4 titles to be played this way, but old n’ stinky PS3 is fair game.)

It is and it isn’t… it lets you play the games through an OnLive-style streaming service. You will never have the actual game code on your PC, hence the 5Mb connection recommendation.

I’m kind of shocked at this. I thought they would have had this on PC since day 1. I didn’t know they only had the service on PS4 until now. It’s just streaming, so it makes no sense to restrict to PS4.

But yeah, agreed that the service doesn’t appeal to me. The day they add Demon’s Souls though, I’ll subscribe just so I can finally get back to it and finish the game. That’s got to be cheaper than buying another PS3 that works.

The streaming lag might be a problem for Demon’s Souls or God Hand. I’d really only want to play a handful of hardcore action games, assuming they even bother to make them available.

Yup, but the subscription isn’t a high price. I picked it up @ 30$ for 3 months (currently 45) to play some of the more expensive titles like the Ateliers & Class of Heroes 2G.

This is great news for anyone who missed the PS3 exclusives. Lots of fun ones on the service. I’ve only encountered problems with a few rhythm & micro machine-ish racing games with a lousy 5mbps connection.

I’m definitely intrigued, haven’t owned a Sony console since the PS2 so looks like I may get to try stuff like The Last of Us and Uncharted after all. Aw but I don’t have a 3.5 GHz processor, maybe I can’t do this, bummer.

I’m happy to retain my PS3 for PS3 games (and older…). Nothing compares to playing on original hardware no matter what the system.

Plus, that Capcom Humble Bundle that just showed up is pretty cool. I’ve gotten a lot of cheap stuff for PS3 here at the end of its time. Now’s the time to fill gaps in your collections.

Wow 3.5 Ghz seems really extreme. I doubt that’s actually required in practice.

Right. That’s doubtful. It’s just video after all. Your Internet connection is going to be the big throttler.

It’s actually been available on PS4, PS3, PS Vita and a number of smart TVs up to now. Expanding to PC was always part of the plan going back to the 2013 PlayStation Meeting where both PS Now and PS4 were announced. I think they’ll get it on Android and iOS eventually as well.

My lag is surprisingly better than I thought it’d be. I think I’d have no problems with Demon’s Souls. God Hand would be pretty rough with the average TV’s added lag.

I’d be happy to try firing up anything on the list if anyone is curious if a game performs well. Currently playing Asura’s Wrath and having no problems A ranking stuff.

This would be lovely if I wasn’t stuck with a data cap.

What? Aren’t you always banging the backward compatibility drum at every new console launch like it’s the most important feature (or omission)?

This worked surprisingly well on my PS4 when I tried the one week free trial. No lag at all with Red Faction Guerilla.

Yeah but I can play that on Steam. The PS3 exclusives are what’s interesting.

That’s a good point. I just went through the list of current PS Now games on wikipedia with this thought in mind. And here’s the names I jotted down:

Echochrome
Flower
God of War: Ascension
God of War: Chains of Olympus
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
God of War HD
God of War II HD
God of War III
Ico
Infamous
Infamous 2
Infamous 2: Festival of Blood
Journey
Killzone
Killzone 2
Killzone 3
MotorStorm: Apocalypse
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
Shadow of the Colossus
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
The Last of Us
The Sly Collection
Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception
Warhawk

Did I get everything? Let me know if I missed something.

Several of those are already on PS4 as remasters by the way. So I’d recommend the remasters on PS4 instead. Like Last of Us. The remaster includes the DLC and improved graphics and controls better with the PS4 controller. Same with the Uncharted games. They control way better on PS4. God of War 3 remastered controls the same, and is still boring on PS4. I’m still not sure why I loved the first two so much but can never get into God of War 3.

The Pixeljunk games are also listed, but I think all of those have been ported to the PC already, right? Or are there still some that are exclusive to PS?

If someone has a PS4, they already had access to PSNow. But for a lot of us PC types, this is an opportunity to play them (sort of) on our preferred platform.