PlayStation VR - $399, October 2016

Interesting comment about foveated rendering from the Wired article:

Unfortunately, at least in my experience, the technique left me feeling like a lot of the virtual worlds around me were out of focus and somewhat removed.

I wonder how much this would bother me.

I’m also curious to know how well it works for glasses wearers. I found no mention of it with these first impressions.

I really enjoy my Oculus Quest 2 and this looks great…all about the software of course but I can see an instant buy from me. Thank gawd you can tweak the IPD…my eyes are almost cyclopsish.

Me too. I hope they put protective bumper thingies in this time if nothing else.

I wasn’t going to risk scratches on my glasses & the PSVR using them with the first one.

For my taste, there was not enough stuff I wanted to play for my PSVR

What really worked for me and I completely enjoyed was:

1. Polybius
  2. Tetris
  3. Thumper
  4. REZ
  5. Beat Saber
  6. Wipeout

I did not enjoy the low res of Star Wars.
Skyrim and other FPS made me feel sick very fast.

I hope the new VR will have the performance and FOV and whatever needed so that I don’t feel sick.

This is my big hope too. It does seem like PSVR2 includes every technology we’ve got to try to help minimize it.

Fwiw, I played with the original some and had no issues with my glasses

You might be in the minority if you used it a lot non-seated. Reddit was full of people damaging stuff for awhile. I’ve got almost 500 hours in VR (Dreams!) so my chances were 0% :)

They said today stuff won’t be backwards compatible on the PSVR2.

Some will get updates ofc, hopefully all the good ones.

That will give Bethesda the opportunity to sell us yet another version of Skyrim!

Aww crap. I had a few PSVR games I never got around to that I figured I’d just play on the PSVR2, guess now I’ve gotta setup the old system if I want to play them.

Very surprised to see that.

Kind of takes the urgency out of the purchase if I have to wait for a critical mass of games for the new setup as opposed to using my existing psvr library while I wait.

Yeah, seems a bad decision given the limited library, but maybe it was just too hard to map the controllers and tracking at a system level (or maybe there were dumb licensing reasons). The headset seems really cool but I can’t justify buying it for what is probably going to be a handful of essential games at most, especially given that I already have 3 VR headsets.

Interesting to see they got Supermassive to do a follow up to their Until Dawn VR game in the Dark Pictures series. Cosmonious High looks cute.

I will continue to eye VR curiously from the sidelines. This is definitely out of my price range as someone who is only slightly curious.

Quest 2 and next year 3 for me. Hate wired VR. And I have no room in my game room for VR space. But will watch and my kid will probably want this.

I plan to wait and see if it will work on the PC, even if it’s via an unofficial mod. Otherwise, not sure I’d get enough use out of it to justify the price.

I would’ve jumped on this even at that price if I could play my PS4 VR games. Hearing a month or two back that those won’t be compatible with the PSVR2 means I’ll probably still get it at some point, but I’ll probably wait for a must-have game or a sale instead of preordering.

Pretty much exactly this. I could buy it on release if I really wanted to, but why?

Too rich for my blood.

The headset price is fine for me… I’m willing to pay a premium not to deal with Facebook.

Won’t be a day one buyer though.

I hope this generation is better for content pricing. I mostly only bought exclusives on the first PSVR. Everything else would’ve been significantly cheaper on PC.