Please help long time Qt3er select computer model

Yeow, I have been out of the loop. My big strategy for not spending too much on computer parts is to just ignore the hardware sites. The downside of this is that you don’t relize they have stuff like the All-in-Wonder cards. Have to add it to my wish list.

Yes, those TiVo’s are looking good. I am still on the fence about what to buy myself for Christmas. I could go Tivo, upgrade my cpu and memory, or get digital camcorder.

Ah, this just in… I am going to “get” a wonderful new fuel injector for my 88 Bonniville, which just crapped out last night on the way home from work. So much for my plans to just get all those toys listed above. Now I really do have to decide.

Wow, Tim – I didn’t expect anyone to actually take me up on that. :)

I have no desire to overclock (I think it’s pretty tough to do with my motherboard, anyway), but a 1.2 certainly would be helpful, until I finally broke down and bought a new one, which will be sometime after I get a job. Hopefully not much longer than a month or so, and then I’ll get it back to you. That is, if you do indeed know of a guy who has an extra, and doesn’t mind being parted with it for a little while.

TiVo is a must have for anybody that likes television at all.

It absolutely revolutionizes the way you watch TV. In fact, once you get a TiVo, you basically don’t watch TV anymore. You just watch the pre-recorded shows.

I only sit and click through live TV once in a great while, and that’s only if I’ve exhausted all the show’s I’ve TiVo’d

Go with the Tivo.

Tivo is like a cult, but not one of those “drink this delicious kool-aid” type cults. We swear!

40-hour Tivo series 2, only $199 after rebate, no shipping, free LOTR DVD.

https://www.metrononline.com/solutions/tivoshop/main.asp?AddToCart=15&userAction=4&programcode=tivo

I bought one for my Mom, of all people.

Can you hang tight until after Christmas? We shall see what Old Saint Nick has up his sleeve in a few weeks, then I’ll drop you some email.

It absolutely revolutionizes the way you watch TV. In fact, once you get a TiVo, you basically don’t watch TV anymore. You just watch the pre-recorded shows.

I only sit and click through live TV once in a great while, and that’s only if I’ve exhausted all the show’s I’ve TiVo’d

Absolutely accurate description of my behavior since I got TIVO. We’ve had it over a year, and it is terrific. Our favorite aspect has been the shows in syndication we’ve seen, especially Buffy and Cold Feet. We never would have seen each and every one if we had relied upon the vcr. Farscape was another good one, as Friday night is usually a night out. During the basketball season it is perfect for Celtic games. No commercials, no sitting through free throws, no half time, etc. I LOVE IT!!!

Ha!

It’s very tempting. I missed the last of The West Wings earlier this month, before it went into reruns; that’s about the only TV I watch faithfully, but even so, it’s a real pisser when you miss something. Watching TV as little as I do, how the heck am I ever going to see that particular episode?

I’m thinking about buying my next computer from Monarch Computer. They have a good rating at reseller ratings, but I don’t have any personal experience with them. Do any of you?

One thing I like about their web site: you can customize extensively, and the prices are very good. Gamepc also offers extensive customization, but the prices are not so good. :(

Can you hang tight until after Christmas? We shall see what Old Saint Nick has up his sleeve in a few weeks, then I’ll drop you some email.

Absolutely. The earliest I can buy a new one will probably be January, unless a good job literally falls into my lap before then.

But I can certainly be patient. My old comptuer still works, it’s just…old. :)

Thanks, Tim. Very kind of you! I’ll owe you one if this pawns out.

IT IS HERE!!!

Now I just have to figure out how to set it up. It should all go smoothly except for hooking up the cable modem. I wasn’t here during the installation. Is this going to be a major hassle?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I ended up with something very close to what I originally posted.

Depends on whether or not you’re using a router. If it’s the only computer, should be smooth as buttah – just plug in the cable to the NIC. At least, ours was that simple.

If you need IP addresses and the like, I hope you still have the sheet your cable company gave you, and ‘winipcgf’ will be your best friend. :)

Note that most modern cable modems use DHCP, and they’ll grab the IP automatically. Adelphia is literally “plug-and-browse.”

Well, it is if they include the right driver disc. I put my neighbor’s cable modem in (which, interestingly, had both Ethernet and USB connections) last week and they included the wrong driver disc. (Drivers needed since there was no NIC and they were using the USB…) Cable company weenies.

You shouldn’t have any problem with the cable modem if you have a router.

If you don’t have a router, you might have trouble because your cable company might have captured the MAC address of your old ethernet card and set that to be the only authorized ethernet card address to connect to that cable modem. If that’s the case, you need to call them up and tell them that you got a new computer, and they’ll walk you through getting the MAC address (using either winipcfg in win98/me or ipconfig at the command prompt in NT/2000/XP).

Anyone else thing they shoulda ported winipcfg to XP???

ASJunk