Please help me identify two old movies

I was just thinking back about movies I saw as a kid, and there are two movies I’d like to see again, but have no idea how they are called, and google keyword searches haven’t helped me, so I thought I’d try here. There goes:

The first one would probably fall into the “horror” category. If I’m remembering this correctly, it’s about a chef who regularly enters cooking competitions, and he is very eccentric and thinks he’s the best cook there is. At some point, a lady pisses him off. I don’t remember if she’s on a jury that harshly dismisses his effort at a cooking competition, or if she is another competitor, who wins the competition. The lady has some poodles. She adores them, talks to them and treats them like their children. Then at one point, our pissed off cook catches the poodles, then kills them and makes a meal out of them. The lady gets to try the meal, and while she is eating, the cook tells her what she’s eating, which obviously makes her go insane.

That’s all I remember of it (and the movie might be in black & white). Here’s the second one, of which I really don’t remember a lot, but anyway I’ll try. Maybe it’ll ring someone’s bells:

It’s a black & white movie. It’s about a mysterious woman who is a famous thief, a la Robin Hood. Nothing is known about her, besides that she has a tattoo (I think it was a rose, but I’m not sure) on her back, at shoulder height. A ransom is put out on her head, and then there’s this handsome guy who wants to identify and arrest this woman. He ends up making the acquaintance of this very pretty lady (I’m not sure if she’s the daughter of the sheriff or some other rich guy, or if she is rich herself) and ends up with her in his arms, when he sees that she has exactly the tattoo the thief has, and realizes it must be her. I don’t remember how it ended, because I was sent to bed shortly after this point in the movie :( (I was about seven years old when I saw it, I think).

Thanks!

The first is obviously some Disney-fied take on Titus Andronicus. Were all the characters played by animals?

I have no idea about the second, but I just want to say that I heartily approve of rose tattoos on a person’s back at shoulder height.

-Tom

Heh. I said “Back at shoulder height” because typically, if you speak about shoulder tattoos, people think about something like this:

I remember the tattoo because in that movie, it was important as it was the only clue that could lead to the thief. Oh and, I too approve of ladies with rose tattoos.

You’re the man, Tom. Searching for “Titus Andronicus movie poodles” yielded this:

Theatre of Blood (1973), aka Much Ado about Murder. United Artists. Actor Edward Lionheart (Vincent Price) is into killing off critics, one by one, basing the murders on plots from Shakespeare plays. Meredith Merridew (Robert Morley) owns two Poodles, his “children”, which get cooked à la Titus Andronicus.

From this weirdo site.

Edit: And there was I, thinking the movie was about a cook. Well, it has been about 25 years ago that I’ve seen that film.

Hi folks,

I used to watch late night movies on local UHF stations. There are a couple of movies I remember seeing bits of, but never saw the endings of them, or even caught their titles. A few years of casually Googling was not enough to strike gold, so if these sound familiar to anyone, please let me know what the movies were.

The first movie was about an older gentleman who was forced to go on a date with a beautiful, free-spirited, younger woman. That might sound like the old Kim Basinger/Bruce Willis movie Blind Date, but this took place 15-20 years earlier, during the height of the generation gap. The movie was in a psychedelic Technicolor, and the older guy was constantly confronted by the weirdo things the younger folks did. There was one scene when he took her dancing, but was quickly worn out by the go-go dancing everyone in the dark club was doing. When the music slowed the tempo, he gasped, “Thank God!” and took her into a left-hand-on-hip, right-hand-on-the-lady’s-left-hand pose, but realized that everyone else was moving their arms around in a freaky-deaky slow motion dance. Later the couple went to some mansion (imagine something like Stately Wayne Manor, or Harold’s house in Harold and Maude) for a party. At one point they get separated. The older guy is fencing someone in a drained swimming pool while the younger woman is having a Tarot card reader check her romantic future, and realizes it’s probably this guy when the “knight of swords” Tarot card flips up.

Then in real life, it was time to join my dad for an early, early fishing trip, so I never found out what happened.

The other movie was a black-and-white Grandpa movie set in the Pacific theater of WWII. I don’t remember any of the cast members, but I did see one scene where a bunch of low-level American navy rats or Marines are discussing strategy. It might have starred some big Hollywood names of the past, but I wouldn’t have recognized them then. They theorize what their higher-ups are going to plan next, whether it was sending a cruiser (or small fleet?) up to take out a fuel base to keep pressure on the Japanese. I don’t remember if these guys were based on land, a destroyer, or a bigger capital ship, which would have made scanning through some Wikipedia lists a lot easier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No idea on the first movie. The second sounds like it might be In Harm’s Way.

Wow, what a great resurrection of this topic. It’ll always be relevant as long as you resurrect it asking for people to identify two old movies, not just one.

Sadly, I cant be much help on either movie Djscman, neither rings a bell for me. The WW2 movie does a little bit, in that I watched a bunch of WW2 movies back in the day, but I don’t remember the details and names, so I’m no help there.

Wow, there are some huge names in that film, but I don’t think I’ve heard of it before. I’ll try to track it down. Thanks for the tip!

I am not sure about the second movie being In Harms Way, possible I guess. But do you remember John Wayne being in it. He did several movies that would fit the description you gave. You might just check the Wiki on John Wayne and look at his WW2 movies.