Please recommend some post-apocalyptic fiction

Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard is IMO a great post-apocalyptic adventure. Please put out of your mind the terribad film; the book itself is excellent.

Actually, it was either this thread or one of the few other post-apocalyptic book threads that got me to consider zombie fiction as post-apocalyptic fiction. I don’t know why that never occurred to me before. I just viewed it as: zombies are fantasy, silly, and I don’t watch and read zombie stuff, while post-apocalyptic fiction was one of my favorite genres in books, despite really only having read about 7 novels in the genre.

Once I started thinking of zombie fiction as post-apocalyptic fiction, I really started enjoying things like The Telltale Walking Dead game, and then Walking Dead the TV show, and a few other things. It was an eye opening revelation.

I haven’t seen the movie, but the book is the least favorite book I’ve ever read, let’s just put it like that. My brother recommended it to me. His tastes and mine are usually in sync, so it came as a real shock to me. Afterward I went to him and said I couldn’t believe he made me read such trash. His only response was “Was it trash? I remember really liking it, but then I read it when I was really young”.

Another good one by Walter M. Miller Jr. is Dark Benediction. It is a novella, but can be found in the short story collection of the same name.

I’m not arguing that zombie fiction isn’t post-apocalyptic, but rather that as a sub genre of post-apocalyptic fiction it’s large enough to be its own topic of conversation, and threatens to overwhelm the thread if introduced. Almost like some kind of infection or invasion of some kind.

I’m not much of a fan of zombie fiction. There really isn’t much there, especially in terms of quality, IMHO.

Yeah, unfortunately the popularity seems to have meant a flood of inexpertly written zombie novels with nothing new or interesting to say, often heavy on the author’s paranoid survivalist fantasies.

I was half thinking that maybe Asimov’s Foundation series might work here, at least part of it, since it deals with the attempt to cache human knowledge so that it survives through a coming dark age and allows a full recovery of civilization. But there ain’t really much of an apocalypse exactly, and recovery is definitely part of the story so I guess the scope kind of knocks it out of the running.

The Breaker series has been recommended a few times here, but not in this thread:

https://www.amazon.com/Breakers-Books-Edward-W-Robertson-ebook/dp/B00E9YL3HM