Please talk me out of a PS4 right now: resistance waning...

Hey all. What with the manufacturer’s temporary 50 bucks off through the 18th, the 1TB PS4 Pro at Costco is going for 339. Kinda jonesin’ here. The prospect of getting to play Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, and the new Spiderman game when it comes out is appealing.

OTOH, I’m swimming in a backlog so huge on PC that I’ll probably never play all of the games I already have.

I should probably at least wait till the holidays, right? There may be a price drop, better deals/bundles, etc.

Don’t forget The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy, Bloodborne, and TLoU: Remastered, and the upcoming Death Stranding, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, and TLoU2.

Yeah, some of those exclusives leave me cold. The Last Guardian with the silly catbird thing? Pass. Ghost of Tsushima does look pretty great though, as do the Uncharted and Last of Us titles.

There’s no downside to waiting effectively forever.

I still plan to get a Wii one of these days. The original one.

If you’ve waited this long, what’s the driving factor for right now? It was 350 last year too for Pro. It might be slightly better this holiday.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the better waiting looks. I’ve gotta buy new clothes and I’m behind on my charity giving for the year too, and for sure there are going to be some good bundles come the holidays (and maybe a permanent price drop).

The reason I purchased the slim PS4 is because it was 199. The pro only went down to 349. I am guessing , really guessing, they will do better this year. It was barely a discount last year.

I’m not going to talk you out of it, but one thing I will point out is that all those titles you mentioned are flagship & mainly exclusive single-player narrative driven games and unless you’re retired, unemployed/underemployed or employed in the gaming review industry & have a solid fortnight to devote to each, the next one tends to get released just as you finish the last one (~every 3-4 months.)

Not sure what your PC backlog is like but if they’re multiplayer, you might be able to fit them between these PS4 releases. My own gaming interests fall squarely in the category I mentioned in the previous paragraph, and I would have missed out on some great stories & experiences had I not bit the bullet & splashed out on a Pro myself late last year.

I got a PS4 at launch, and the reason why I’m staying away from the Pro without any kind of temptation is that I know that eventually the PS5 will come out, and this time, it will likely have backward compatibility. So if I do want to see improved versions of Horizon: Zero Dawn, for instance, I can still get that on the PS5, most likely.

Like Appleseed, I actually enjoy the fact that PS4 flagship exclusives are good, but sparse. It makes the PS4 an excellent 2nd console to own. I do my primary gaming on PC & Xbox (or both, in the case of Play Anywhere games), and every few months I dust off the PS4 to play another exclusive. It works out really nicely. And I can’t say enough nice things about The Last of Us Remastered. It’s not for everyone, it’s hard to get into during the first 3rd of the game, but the payoff is so worth it.

I’m tempted to pick upa PS4 pro, too. Horizon, Bloodborne, Transistor and maybe a handful of others are the big draws for me. I found the Uncharted games so tremendously mediocre that I have no interest in TLOU. My backlog on Xbone is so big, I can’t really justify it, but the price is tempting.

Reasons not to bite:

• Another system just means even more games to buy and backlog. Remember you’re going to get free games every month as well (XCOM 2, Trials Bikes, and… uh, Black Ops 3 just this month i think). I literally can’t even play the free games fast enough, if i’m even interested in them (i’ve got at least 6-10 free PSN games downloaded and waiting for me to try, like Metal Gear Solid, Mad Max and Deux Ex Gold Bar edition).

• You’ll need a PSN subscription to play online, which you may or may not care about.

• Sure Horizon Zero Dawn and Last of Us is great, but are they that great? Go read a book or garden!

• Clothes are usually overrated, but dammit man throw at least on a towel. Just not sanitary.

Given Papageno’s list of temptations was Horizon, God of War and Spiderman, getting PS+ seems unlikely. Clearly he isn’t interested in multiplayer, and paying for just the “free” games is an awful deal.

Red Dead Redemption 2 will push me over the edge and I’ll be getting a PRO this fall for sure.
Hope Costco has a good deal around that time. :)

How bored are you? Because if you’re bored at all, HZD is well worth the price of a PS4.

No… it’s not? It’s actually a pretty good deal? For less than the price of a new game you get about 35 games per year, several of which will be AAA games, a few more quality indies, and yeah some junk. But it’s definitely worth the price. Just in the last 3 months, we’ve gotten CoD:BO3, XCOM2, Rayman Legends, Beyond: Two Souls, Mad Max, Trackmania Turbo, and Bloodborne.

That’s not going to be exclusive, though, right? Is there still no PC version confirmed?

Zero PC news on RDR2, and I am not waiting a year for a possible PC release.

RDR was my absolute favorite PS3 game. :)

Has anyone made a top 10 PS4 game exclusives list for us looking to join the PS4 wagon so late in its journey?

Obviously Horizon Zero Dawn, Dad of War, and Uncharted 4, but what else?

Yeah, I bought it at release myself, but for the 360, and didn’t regret it.

There are bunch you can Google, but here’s mine, in no particular order (already released games that I’ve actually played only):

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  2. Uncharted 4
  3. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
  4. God of War
  5. Bloodborne
  6. Tearaway Unfolded
  7. Infamous: Second Son
  8. Gravity Rush 2
  9. Little Big Planet 3 (also on PS3, but almost unplayable on that console)
  10. Driveclub
    Honorable Mentions: The Order: 1886 and The Last of Us Remastered (I don’t know that a remake of a PS3 game counts.)

Not included, because I’ve never played them:

• Yakuza 6
  • Until Dawn
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • The Last Guardian
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Knack 2

Upcoming:

• Spiderman
  • Death Stranding
  • TLoU 2
  • Ghosts of Tsushima
  • Days Gone

(edited for formatting)

Actually, come to think of it, I bought my PS3 Slim at Costco in 2010 during the holidays, 4 years after release. Included Uncharted 2 and like 50 Sony music MP3s. Now it’s mainly a Blu Ray player.