Plugging something into onboard USB 3.1 port borked Windows 10?!

I finally got around to transferring my newer motherboard and processor (Z170-A, i7 6700) and SSD with Windows 10 installed to my newer case (FD Define R5). Everything fired up nicely on boot, and I was starting to install software today, when it occurred to me to plug in the USB cord from my monitor into the only remaining free USB port on the back of the case which was a 3.1 port.
Bad mistake as it turned out. The system immediately crashed something about unhandled exception. And when it rebooted it just crashed again. None of the repair options worked at all, so now I’m reinstalling Windows, o Joy.

At least Windows installs are around a half-hour now with SSDs and even quicker if you are installing off a flash drive! :)

I have two 3.1 ports on the back of my z270, both work fine. Did you install drivers? I have no idea if they require special drivers or not, I usually just install whatever is on the mobo drivers disk and never look back.

I was having issues with the USB 3.0/3.1 on my Gigabyte Z170X with Windows 10. Took awhile but eventually tracked down the issue to being that Intel didn’t release drivers for Windows 10 so it just uses some generic Microsoft ones that don’t work to well. I fixed the the issue by using drivers I found here. No idea if this is what caused your problem but it might be related.

Yeah, I’m certain in retrospect that it was a problem with USB drivers for my motherboard, combined with the fact that the monitor probably doesn’t have Windows 10 drivers (at least Windows didn’t find any automatically). Without the latter, those four lovely USB 3 ports on the monitor are useless.* :-(

*Am I not correct in that assumption? The monitor is an ASUS PA248Q (this one: Amazon link , and I love it to death (1920x1200 resolution is way better than just 1080p), but I don’t know what’s up with it showing up as a Generic PnP monitor. I updated the motherboard’s USB drivers, but given the previous experience I’m understandably loath to repeat it.