Poli-Sci: The Perils of Presidentialism

Jeff, I’d say that that’s a difference between majoritarian and proportional systems. Westminster democracies are indeed the winner-takes-all usually-one-party government that tries to win by gaining the median voter and gets punted for going too far to either side. The proportional parliamentary systems usually have minority or coalition governments with non-government party influence through the committee system, and thus often low levels of accountability, but the systems are made so that they correctly reflect the entire spectrum of political opinion, and gains legitimacy by mirroring the population correctly. Also, the parliament rules are obviously made to handle party strife while maintaining efficiency.

See also the bit about "Independent Democrats were more liberal than weak Democrats and about as liberal as strong Democrats while independent Republicans were less conservative than strong Republicans but just as conservative as weak Republicans. "

It looks to me like both aspects might stem from “drag” coming from the ongoing shift of American politics rightward, such that “leaners” are often people who’ve been left behind by their party, rather than in between the parties per se.

Israel has a similar problem. The other thing that happens there is that you get a very small group of king-makers who can force major concessions out of the other two parties to give them a majority.

Related.

It’s very long, but the short version seems to be: American Presidentialism is not always such a great system.

We see this dynamic every day in the US. Congress is unwilling or unable to do the job of governing, so the President figures out a way to get around them. I think I’ve brought it up previously in this thread, but look at the stuff that’s happened lately: Congress allows wars without direct authorization. Congress refuses to deal with CO2 emissions so the President goes around them and uses the EPA. Now we have Congress refusing to raise the debt ceiling and the President (at least theoretically) contemplating all sorts of exotic measures (magic platinum coins, option scams, Constitutional showdowns, etc) in order to get around them.

I’m not sure where this ends, but I am sure it cannot continue.

I do wonder how much crap can pile up in the system before a crisis can make it collapse.

We may find out if the Tea Partiers block the debt ceiling bill tomorrow.

Let’s assume this deal causes another recession - as bad as or worse than the last one. Who will people vote for? I think the intensity of the division between left and right will grow stronger - as each side blames the other for the crisis. If left-wingers stop voting for moderates and compromisers, it really could end up in a political deadlock. It’s going to get worse before it gets better, anyway.

So what’s wrong with splitting up the federation into Jesusland and the United States of Canada, anyway?

Maybe us and the French are still getting used to living in one house? We don’t need another roommate.

I don’t like cold weather.

How about Jesusland and the United Atlantic States of America?

Matt Yglesias highlights another example of the executive getting to unilaterally make law because Congress won’t bother.