Poor Romero

Think the only game that I’d spend over 100$ on a kickstarter for would be another Midwinter.
That said; If they do a nice pitch I might drop in 24$ or something for the cheapest Doom pack…

That’s really thoughtful of you, Major Malphunktion. To me, I assumed Romero and Carmack would have consulted with a bunch of developers behind successful Kickstarters before launching the campaign. He seemed to be taking his time, dropping hints over the past year, and getting his name back out there with his very successful Doom level re-imaginings. Maybe with the brouhaha surrounding the Doom 4 beta made him do something impulsive?

I think with a decent gameplay presentation and a clear road map their next crowd-funding campaign could be reasonably successful. He was on the right track with the delightfully cheesy Force Awakens-style teaser.

Oh neat! Next time you see him, let him know that I, a fellow Dave, read [i]Masters of Doom[/i]many years ago based on a recommendation from this board. I enjoyed it, and re-read it several years ago. I heartily recommend it to the sort of people who read this forum!

I also read Johnny Magic and the Card Shark Kids and liked it, but didn’t enjoy my time with it nearly as much as Masters. At the end of the day, John Romero is a far more interesting John than is John Finkel.

Suppose it should have coincided with the Kickstarter having a demo up and running, so people could immediately go - AWESOME TEASER -> AWESOME DEMO -> TAKE MY MONEY. Instead of Awesome Video -> waiting… -> Lackluster Kickstarter –> No money.

But hindsight being 20-20 and all that.

UA is looking SO GOOD… the latest videos I saw of it made me start drooling in anticipation (that’s to say, more than usual!).

I played his latest Doom level (the E1M4 replacement). It’s short, not bad. Interesting use of multiple levels and windows to restrict the size of the targets.

It felt like it was made by someone who thought about level design in a smart way rather than just throwing new graphics and a ton of enemies into a Doom WAD.

I hope it’s Blackroom, which sounds like it might’ve picked up a publisher a while back.

Skipping Kickstarter this time it seems?

Yay more washed-up dev garbage.

Guys, it’s OK to rest on your laurels. There will always be cons to attend, and stalker-y underage groupies to marry.

Man, this comment from 2016 is haunting.

It will be announced on Dec 10th, Doom anniversary, so I expect it to be Doom related.

I stand by it, the Kickstarter was fine. They failed in executing those promises.

I hope Tim Cain at least produces something memorable working for Obsidian.

And here it is, it’s a free new episode for Doom

I wouldn’t be against paying for something like that. But the problem is, it looks like a competent wad circa ~1995. The level has increased so much in the Doom scene in the last two decades. The minimum for a project in where I would give money would be something like Deus Vult II or Ancient Aliens.

I just want a copy of the Alien wad.

So there’s going to be a few limited edition boxed versions that have some DOOM bling in them. Not sure how he can do this and not get sued by Bethesda.

What Doom bling?

A beautiful demonic over-sized box, inspired by the id Anthology™ box, individually numbered and signed personally by John Romero and featuring the artwork of Christopher Lovell.

A 16GB 3-1/2-inch floppy disk-themed USB that includes the free megawad data and extras.

A 2-disc booklet styled case that includes the free megawad data and full soundtrack by Buckethead and behind-the-scenes information on the original game and the megawad’s development.

A beautiful 8" x 10" art print signed by the illustrator, Christopher Lovell.

A SIGIL-themed coin.

A pewter statue of John Romero’s head on a spike.

An XL-sized SIGIL T-shirt.

2 stickers: 1 SIGIL and 1 Romero Games.

WARNING: This item is limited to TWO per customer.

I wish Buckethead would play with a gosh darned pick. ヽ༼ ಠ益ಠ ༽ノ

The finger picking for the power chords sounds awful 90% of the time. (Same thing with the Dire Straits.)

I think it’s pretty cool. Will be worth the price (free) for sure.

Shacknews has a very thorough article about the making of Romero’s still-unreleased Sigil episode.