Portable Mp3 players

I ripped my whole music CD collection at 256K and it’s about 16 Gigs.

Just so everyone knows, that whole “does anyone have 20 gb’s of music” is simply a cut-n-paste from the ad…not a challenge or statement of disbelief. you can continue to beat on that, but i just thought i’d let you know you have the wrong man. :)
Huong

Just a heads-up… eCOST has the 20GB Firewire iPOD on sale for just $269. This is the old form-factor, but the it’s still an awesome little device.

In an effort to increase my post/call ratio so I can leech some more I’ll chime in. I’ve had a 128meg MUVO since December and am pretty happy with it so far. I drop it on a daily basis and havn’t had any problems with it, the sound is good, and is small enough to sneak in almost anywhere.

Recently picked up the new model iPod, 15Gb version. Software doesn’t work on anything before Windows ME, so being the Win98SE whore that I am, I finnagled some open source t00lz to mount my HFS iPod as a drive in Win98SE and run the previously mentioned ephpod program to manage my music.

Firewire transfer = NICE! Having an Audigy isn’t so bad. They won’t have USB2.0 out for another month or so and I prefer the firewire anyways.

15Gb = NICE! I only have MP3s of music I own on CD (except for some Russian stuff I can’t find to order). My entire collection (VBR’ed between 160-256k) takes like 12Gb, so I still have some room and this is including stuff I never listen to, so I could remove it if I needed the room.

Sound quality = NICE! Just like on the PC. As good as I rip it, it plays. Now the earbuds are rated at 22Hz and not 44Hz like most people rip their MP3s, but you can always get other headphones (no GBA-SP proprietary plug nonsense). Anyways I can’t hear the difference.

Interface = NICE! Very easy to use even one handed. No jokes please. :o

Cost = TEH SUCK! Damn things are pricey. Picked one up on a Dell “mistake” though where they had certain coupons cascaded and so on, so I got the $430 (after CA tax) version for $320 (no tax or shipping). So my cost was acceptable, but YMMV.

This is not a problem. Headphones, and other audio reproduction devices, are rated for the maximum frequency they can reproduce.

Digital recording devices are measured at their sample rate. It takes at least two samples to record a waveform, thus the 44Hz sampling rate of, say, a .wav file means it can record frequencies up to 22Hz.

A googling for “Nyquist” will provide several better and more comprehensive explanations for those interested.

In summary, your ear buds are perfectly adequate for the task as long as they fulfill the primary requirement of all audio reproduction equipment: sounding good to you on the music you wish to listen to.

i bought a 30GB iPod the day they released. i marvel daily at how i survived 10-12 hour days of work without.

i was not impressed with the earbuds the iPod comes with; they hurt my ears after hours of use. i bought a pair of these and they may be the best earbuds i have ever owned. where i used to have to really crank the volume while mowing the lawn, these babies pretty much keep out all noise but the music i want to hear. and comforable? omg they are so comfortable.

so no matter what you get (although i recommend an iPod :wink: ) think about the earbuds…!

Thx for the link to ecost. Damn tempting but the thing that gets me with the ipods are the cost (I’d be paranoid of dropping it) and the battery where you have to have someone put in a new one unless you want to brave opening it up.

I finally found a decent flash memory based player:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90118452&loc=111

The Digitalway fl100 uses SD cards (reportedly the player can use 512mb cards) and comes with 128 or 256mb onboard. I mainly want it for working out so I don’t need even 5gb and this thing has FM radio too.