Portal 2 Announced

I can’t tell if you’re joking about the original writers not being involved or just didn’t read the Eurogamer article.

I didn’t read the eurogamer article.

The article doesn’t say anything about the writers.

And, fine, there’ll clearly be some writing. But DotA 2 has GlaDOS saying stuff and I wouldn’t consider that to have much in the way of writing.

Yeah, I think “flavor audio for a Bridge Constructor game” has a lower bar to clear writing-wise.

No need to get snippy, I’m not trying to ensnare you in some elaborate Internet “aha!” moment. But if you consider yourself a fan of the Portal games, and I do, then the fact that a property is planning to use its characters but potentially the writers who made them interesting might be a little worrying. If the idea is that they’re just using portal mechanics, that’s something else I guess. And I’d probably still buy it.

I assume there’s a missing not there. And yes, I’d obviously prefer anything Portal related to have the writers on board. Which is why I’m kind of glad this is what it is and not a “real” Portal game. I’m not sure I want to play a Portal that doesn’t have the original team on board. I’ve played mods, even very good ones, and they’re just not the same.

But there have been plenty of non “real” games which have used the Portal characters. DotA as I mentioned. Poker Night at the Inventory. Lego Dimensions. Defense Grid.

But there’s a subtle, and yet distinct difference in those games and what we are talking about in this thread - none of those are Portal games. I’ve never played Dota, Poker Night or Lego Dimensions but I think I know enough about them to say that they all have their own thing going on, whether MOBA or poker or just building stuff, that any added stuff like GlaDOS or the turrets or whatever is extra flavor for something you’re already probably enjoying.

But this game appears to be marketed as a Portal game, I mean it’s in the title. OK, it’s not Valve, but it’s their IP. Now if your response is this is the same thing, this is a game about building bridges and all the Portal stuff is added flavor, that’s fine, I drop my argument. But I probably won’t buy the game either.

That’s basically my argument, yes. This is a bridge building game which is adding stuff for extra flavour to something you’re probably already enjoying. There are going to be new systems, sure, which wasn’t true for DotA, say, but it’s fundamentally a Bridge Constructor game, in the same way that the official Portal expansion to Defense Grid was still Defense Grid. I don’t get where you’re seeing this as a Portal game rather than a Bridge Constructor game.

It’s in the game’s title, for pete’s sake! Why wouldn’t I think that?

Because it’s Bridge Constructor Portal, not Portal Bridge Constructor. Or, you know, watch the teaser.

That’s one hell of a semantic argument. You should be an attorney.

I think you’re getting tripped up on the wrong expectation. Maybe just because of the way this thread was bumped and we had a day to speculate wildly—optimistically even, if that’s your thing.

But this isn’t a new Portal game, and no one is going to be confused about that if they just see it read about it through the normal channels. It’s a Portal “flavor” of an existing game.

Wait, so it’s Portal 3?!

ALL HAIL PORTAL 3 WRITTEN BY CHET & ERIK COMING OUT VERY SOON!

Ha, yes, I can’t see any way this could possibly go wrong. Anyway, I have officially lost what little interest I had in this game a couple hours ago, I’ll probably pick it up in a Humble Bundle in a year or two.

Bridge Constructor is great though.

I just watched a trailer for it and it puts me in mind if World of Goo, which is a decent enough little game.

They play very similarly, or at least exercise similar brain muscles. It’s not as charming as that game though.

Well Macrumors went and proved me wrong right away:

“The next iteration of the popular Portal franchise…” is exactly the sort of confusing message I thought would be avoided.

So… if Valve is going to start licensing their IP to other developers…

can they give the Half Life license to 4A Games??

We can hope!