Portal is Game of the Year

Do you agree?

That you are a retard?

I haven’t played it yet, but I still think S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (hand tired now) is the game of the year so far.

Man, what? S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is the last thing I’d expect to come up in a game of the year thread post-OrangeBioHaloWars: Enemy Peggle.

No doubt soon to be OrangeBioHaloWars: Enemy Peggle Guitar Band Mario of Duty 4.

I have to agree with STALKER being game of the year so far. There are definitely things I didn’t like about it, but I’m heavily bias in favor of sandbox games which is enough to tip the scale.

Imagine Portal on a life-sized Peggle board.

They gave us Peggle with Portals, now do it the other way around!

Except Porggle sounds like something Gary would have to explain to us and then we’d wish we hadn’t asked.

I don’t agree (how could anyone make the GotY call before so many big titles are out, anyway?), but I would call it the funniest/best-written game of the year.

It’s definitely awesome, but it’s not even the best game in the Orange Box. I’ll give it ending of the year, though.

It’s easy. The game is 3 hours of perfect.

I can guarantee that any other game that comes out this year won’t hit the perfection bar. Especially not when they are long, and probably boring at times.

They’re all so different it’s tough to compare. TF2 is my multiplayer GOTY and I’m sure I’ll be playing it for years to come, but as a single-player experience Portal is the highlight by far.

Yeah, it’s not exactly a fair comparison, but I’d still put Ep. 2 a notch above it as a single player experience, I really just found it unfailingly superb. I mean, don’t get me wrong at all, Portal is super duper awesome and I love it and it’s great, but it’s not the highlight of the package for me. I do agree that TF2 is multiplayer GOTY.

Do they still do Developer of the Year awards? If not they should bring it back this year just to give it to Valve.

That’s wonderful how you have defined out of existence even the possibility of any other game being better. It could be possible, of course, that a game which provides 30 hours of not-quite-perfect-but-still-very-good gameplay is overall a superior experience.

But don’t let that interfere with your godlike certainty.

Orange Box does deserve GotY, not because of Ep2, but because of TF2 and Portal.

Porggle Pants!

I made it about 20 minutes into Ep2 before becoming bored of the same old crap. Whereas Portal kept me up until 3 am this morning (and I had to be up for work by 6:30am).

I’ll take 3 hours of perfection over 30 hours of not-perfection any day.

By the way the developer commentary is fascinating, very much worth listening to.

Yes, I know, the Half Life 2 haters are out in force right now, you don’t need to remind me.

Too early to tell, but it’s certainly a strong contender. I have very high hopes for Mario Galaxy. I’m also looking forward to Mass Effect and I’m hoping that finally Bioware will nail it and make an awesome game.