Portal Knights Megathread: I figure a title later

Portal Knight is a minecraft-like game with focus on combat.

The world is divided in floating isles and you move from isle to isle unlocking portals.
Each isle gets progressive harder and this lead to progression in difficulty and gear.

The game seems to support peer2peer networking and split screen coop, and is actually funny to play with a small kid.

Heres some random videos that I think may give the game justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7noOvkD-ZqY

Thank you!

I’ve been playing this one with my 7yo son, who used to love Minecraft. He’s loving it so far. As for myself, I’m a bit tired of the Minecraft formula, but having new things to discover is always fun. So yeah, I’m enjoying it, just not as much as him. :)

That said… I wish it had interactive beds to be able to skip nights (or days). Or interactive chairs so you could sit. Or anything that you can interact with that isn’t a crafting station, container, or a door of some kind.

Still… I’d recommend playing it, much more so if you can play with a kid.

I want to say that I like the design of some of the isles. They have quality to it, feel like places with different design. And I agree with rhamorim that the game is in need to more interactivity options. Like being able to knee, use beds for something and so on. Anyway since the focus is on combat this is mostly ignorable.

My cousin is playing with a mage, the mage seems OP has hell, I have played with warrior and rogue that need to be more careful about what they do (but the rogue have pants with double jump and thats kind of cool).

The game have periodical events and that helps from making the game feel stale.

Oh yeah, it looks great. Some of the areas have indeed some nifty designs (and pretty much all of them look really good).

And mage is not OP, at least not at the point I am in the game. :)

I played this a bit and after you go through the first few areas I found the game a bit repetitive and dull. I played both the mage and archer types. There are only a few monster types and you mostly fight them the same way. There is no loot other than crafting materials and after several levels you seem to have to grind to level up, which isn’t fun. Also some of the portals are hidden and I do not have the patience to mine out a world to find it. In one level there are multiple portals and the find portal ability keeps finding the same one, which really sucks.

Do not disagree. Anyway finding portals is kind of the game. Most of the time are on the surface or the end of a dungeon. You are supposed to explore. Theres a item that make funding portals easier, but dont wotk for me.

Yeah, its a magic compass. However, it will only find one portal. So if the one it picks is the obvious one, and there are 2 others, then you are SOL.

I had picked this up in early access ages ago and jumped back in for the full release. It’s, ok. Unlike say Minecraft, I don’t find myself with the desire to actually build anything. I unlock the portals, upgrade my gear and fight stuff, but I just can’t bring myself to build up a base beyond the crafting tables and a garden. I enjoy it in short bursts but overall it just doesn’t have the same draw as Minecraft or Terraria does.

And yes, finding the hidden/buried portals absolutely sucks.

Actually, the magic compass will show all portals in the level. The way it does so, however, is not very user-friendly for people not used to certain kinds of radar readings.

How? I had one and it always took me to the first one. I was even in one level and standing next a different portal, used the compass and it still pointed to the same one, so it is not proximity based. How do you tell it to switch portals its tracking?

I’ll try to answer from memory.

First, it only tracks unactivated portals. That means that when you activate a portal you should go through it, or you’ll have trouble finding it later, since the compass won’t help. Second, it shows little squares in the general direction of the portal. If there are two or more portals and you stand between them, you’ll see the little squares on both sides, which means it’s tracking both.

If the squares are all around you, you are directly above (or underneath) a portal.

Or maybe I’m just imagining things. It’s not completely unlikely either. I’ll check it when I get to play.

Then there must be a bug. It definitely kept tracking the exact same activated portal. Even on levels that I had fully explored with multiple portals, it always tracked a certain one and never showed more than one being tracked.

So, 13 posts isn’t very mega.

I just picked this up on the switch, and it has potential. Some things are crazy annoying, like the inventory. But overall, it’s kind of neat.

I a very cool game. I abandoned it because a bug wipe my savegames, and I don’t like to redo progress.

I played it with my cousin, thats the best thing, local coop.

I picked this up on the Switch as well. I never played the Steam version, but was enjoying split screen local mode with my other half. So far, it is a pretty fun Minecraft meets action RPG. It is a lot like Dragon Quest Builders actually. This is good with me as the straight crafting and building of Minecraft and its like turn me off pretty quickly, but the hunting for monster parts in recipes, underground dungeon exploring (or just finding a dungeon), and quests of Portal Knights all keep me interested. I like that the world is built procedurally and there are lots of links to new worlds to be discovered and built with meaner monsters, more quests, and new gear to be made. It is sort of like what I thought No Mans Sky might have been like, but it is a sort of Stargate-Diablo-Minecraft.

I like it. And I like it for Switch especially. It’s great fun playing local split screen docked or portable on a stand as you explore a world with someone. Thumbs up.

Have the improved the game-play? My gripe with this game was that after a few levels of exploration you had seen it all. The only difference was in how many HP the monsters had. My sense of exploration didn’t last very long at all.

Not really, no. They did change the “diminishing returns” design in crafting as you level up, which was a good change, and they added different quests and such, but otherwise, gameplay is as limited as it was before.

Maybe I am just in the early parts. I’ve gone through about 6 portals and I am still enjoying finding new areas and progressing my gear/ crafting options. I have a Mage and I am now getting some tier 2 spells going. Events are popping up all over and they seem to offer a lot for a Minecraft game. I had a Zelda like trials one and another had an old world overrun by very tough critters making combat really intense.

The monsters are more diverse than I expected. They seem to offer more combat variation than I am used to in a crafting game.

Also, for a procedural game, it is filled with cool exploration nuggets. I love trying to figure out what is hidden behind some odd wall or under some out of place flooring. They seem really good at hiding stuff. I had one moment last night that had me poking behind an odd wall only to discover it had a lake behind it and the room filled up with water and jellyfish as I tried to plug it back up. Said water continued to waterfall into new rooms as I went down the dungeon. It was pretty neat. But maybe in another dozen hours it will be old hat.

I still argue that Portal Knights is a darn good game for someone’s Switch library. I am not at all certain I would have been as enamored as I am if I had to sit at a computer or my tv every time I played.

How does co-op work? What if you’ve been playing solo and someone wants to jump in? Do they get comparable gear, etc?