Portal. Steam? WTF?

I have to agree. It’s pretty lame in 2008 to complain about a service not working well with dial-up.

Wait, if it does not need a patch, why is it updating? It has updated to 60% and then has started over.

What version of the game should I have? Thanks.

How do I do that?? Thanks.

I’m complaining about needing such a service for a game I bought. If I wanted to use a service that allows me to purchase and download over the Net, I would not have taken a trip to the game store.The fact the service works like shit,makes it worse.

It works fine once you move out of the stone age.

File -> Go Offline…

(ellipsis is part of the command, not indicative of sub-text, ie snark, on my part)

What the hell, where do you find these?

Since you are so smart, how about an intelligent rebuttal to this:

I understand quite a few of these games sold ok without something too advanced for us cavemen.

I just want to know how it’s possible for someone to accrue over 1700 posts on this forum, yet somehow be so utterly clueless about Steam.

Although his propensity toward triple-posting does seem to suggest an answer.

I’m thinking /b/tard.

Thank you. Do you know what game version I should have?? Because I can download patches elsewhere,and install from a cd…

I’ve heard of Steam, but never needed it.Nor did I read the threads in detail (I do remember complaints) since I did not desire to pay and purchase on the net.

Because I don’t play many shooters, I guess I’ve
never needed it for a Valve game before.

No, because all 4chan images are stored on their servers after upload and deleted when the thread times out. All of Adree’s are from normal sites, and 4chan doesn’t provide that.

2 things:

-Nice formatting :S

-You played Bioshock, that’s a shooter with really minimal RPG elements.

Mass Effect has much more objectionable DRM than Steam.

So responding to each poster’s points is now a no no, too?? Guess I have not been here long enough to learn that…

The Shock games are the only shooters I’ve played since Doom.:)

I guess, to make it clearer, I did not play Half Life or its sequels.

It’s generally more acceptable to edit your posts, or do it all in one post, rather than triple posting.

I’m with ya, Lloyd. I only have a few hundred posts, but several are about my Steam-hate. I bought HL2 a few years ago, and stayed away from Valve games for years after that nasty experience. I still feel a bit pissed when a company (Valve) insists that I log onto their server every time I want to play a single-player game.

But I also have to agree with those who are saying “get with the program”. I have been assimilated with the Orange Box. I get the love for Steam now. No CD’s. Auto updates, slick interface, cool offers. If you don’t have broadband, get it. Not just for games. Steam works, and it makes stuff better.

But I do still have a lingering worry…will I be able to have a nostalgia experience 10 years from now? Will my Orange Box work at all in 2020? What about playing on a laptop that I purposely don’t want to have hooked up to the intraweb? When the Valve folks decide they’ve collected enough millions of $$, what will stop them from turning off the power, locking the doors and moving to their mansions in Nantucket, thereby rendering the games useless if I want to re-install on a new machine? I know that technology will move on and make HL2 quaint, but Gog.com seems to be making a decent business of quaint games…

“Durn kids! I like my moving pictures black-and-white just purty fine without 'em new-fangled color and fancy sounds!”

Not sure how that answers my “lingering worry”. When Valve is gone, will my game work? As I said, I like the system as it stands today. It’s tomorrow that bothers me.

holy shit, this whole thread just seems like a retread of topics that have been discussed many, many times before. lets talk about the benefits/shortcomings of drm while we are at it!

btw, Lloyd it does suck that you have to update portal on a slow internet connection. steam does not work the best for you right now. but, you probably should have done a little research if you knew that portal --> made by valve <-- steam