Portland, I am Coming..,

I come from California, but the parts that regularly see snow. There was a pretty big storm back in 2017 that put a foot or two down on the ground at the lowest elevations of the city and the city shut down for two weeks.

Beyond that, it’s not a ton of snow. It is more than 0 though. The worst part is it is that borderline temp where it melts and refreezes as ice every night for a week after the storm.

Looks like I’ll be moving to Portland this spring/summer. My daughter lives in Beaverton with her husband and their not-yet-born baby and I want to be closer. I don’t know Portland well at all at this point but so far my research is pointing to Hillsdale as being a good fit for me. It’ll probably be another month or two before I can start scouting in person.

Hillsdale is fine. Easy access to I-5, but beware that on our rare snow days things could get fun.

Welcome to the area soon!

Can concur about the snow in Hillsdale. My boss is there and if Portland has any snow, it’s always worse up there. It’s a great place though, some of my favorite food spots on the west side are there. Sasquatch Brewery, Baker and Spice, City Thai.

I mean its only like 800-1000’ of elevation, and you wouldn’t think that’s super significant, but around us since we don’t go much below freezing often that means the difference between rainy 34° and snowing 30°. That 4° temperature difference really matters with our just flirting with the freezing point winters.

Yeah, I’m less than 2 miles away from Hillsdale and the difference is between “light dusting, not sticking” and “1-2 inches of snow accumulation on the roads” (and, as the name implies, it is very hilly and makes the roads treacherous with even just that).

A few hundred feet really can make all the difference. I’ve always found it interesting to watch the mountains and see a very stark line at wherever the snow level ends up being, in spring and fall. It really goes from “no snow on the ground at all” to “bring some skis!” really quick.

My daughter in Beaverton has had several dusting of snow this winter. She is currently looking for a place NE of there though, closer to where she works downtown.

This year very likely was the snowiest since I moved out here in 2018.

Yeah the rule of thumb when climbing is ~5°F every 1000’. Even in the summer when it’s 90° out, the summit of Mt Hood may be just barely above freezing.

It was probably in the 40s when I went last summer, but the fact that there’s anything skiable at all in the summer is wild. Even at lower elevations, it’s a big part of why mountain hikes are so refreshing in the summer, especially in the years before the massive heatwaves demanded we start using A/C up here.

I’m surprised JMJ hasn’t replied to this thread yet.

SNOW DAY!

Not a ton compared to other places I’ve lived, but everything(even the airport) is closed.

I measured it at 5-6 inches.

Planning to drop in this Sunday and I’ll be staying a few nights at a youth hostel while I scout apartments!

I’ve made a bunch of calls and have several tours booked, but can anyone recommend any decent apartment buildings on the west side? Southwest preferred (easier access to Beaverton where my kid lives) but I’m open to northwest as well. Also interested in storage facilities, no idea which are recommendable yet.

My daughter just moved from Beaverton closer to downtown Portland to be closer to her work. She lived in Beaverton across the street from a really nice shopping center. I understand why she moved but the area she left was really nice.

I rented a room in that area during my first year out here, before ultimately moving in to Hillsboro.

Tigard will generally probably be on the more affordable side of things close to the city.

Tigard, that’s where my friend used to live when I moved out here. I remember there was a great little sushi place there, had the little plates on boats and you grabbed what you like. There was something called a Portland roll that I really loved there. I haven’t been there in forever.

I lived in Tigard for a few years but years ago. Good access to I5 and small enough to not be annoying and should be cheaper than Beaverton area.

Just got home in Eugene after scouting Portland apartments for several days (was staying at the International Hostel in Pearl), and got confirmation this morning that I’m approved for an apartment in the Overlook neighborhood. I’ll be signing a lease at some point today, and can begin moving at the end of the month. Super excited!

Congrats!