Portland OR - Oct 4-8

So, Portland people, anyone have time to grab a beer and/or play some games with me? I’m going to be in town for my brother’s wedding Oct 4-8. I fly in the 4th, rehearsal on the 5th and wedding is the 6th, so those days will be tight. I should have plenty of flexibility on Sunday the 7th and Monday the 8th, though. Then early flight out on the 9th.

We could have some kind of epic QT3 boardgame session if @Brooski @CraigM @Tman @Exodor @nKoan @ironwulf etc could all make a meetup! Maybe even convince @Nesrie from down south or some of those Seattle folks to make the drive.

I would love to head down to hang out with you guys, and I truly do mean that. But my daughter turns 4 that weekend and we’ve got stuff going on, so I must pass. Have fun and drink lots of good beer. Or wine! Or whatever you may enjoy.

@ineffablebob I’m in. My Sunday’s are free, and Monday could work too, depending on location. I believe you said before you grew up in Tigard, and I’m in Hillsboro so realistically after 6:30 works too.

Anyhow my game collection out here is limited, but that shouldn’t prove a problem.

Saturday the 6th is my birthday so that’s right out. I’m available Sunday the 7th for a few beers or whatever. I’m out in Beaverton.

I should be free that Sunday. I live in Portland in the Southwest Hills north of Hillsdale.

Well that is a tempting. It’s over 4 hours although Sunday should mean no real rush hours throughout most the state (I little drive the entire length of OR to get there). It’s a long ways to go for one night. I could consider going up Saturday night. I’ll think about it. Thank you for the invite though either way!

Cool, looks like Sunday the 7th could be a good time for a meetup. I’ll be staying down by Washington Square, but should have transport to get to a bar or game store or someone’s house or whatever. Open to suggestion on best meetup format!

Hey, it’s highly unlikely I’ll be able to attend. Thanks for thinking of me though :)

This sounds awesome. Could you guys do this a little further south? Like a thousand miles? Los Angeles is really nice this time of year.

-Tom

So I guess the next question would be, what do people want to do? If drinking, then Portland has more great bars than any other city in the entire world. My current favorites are Teardrop Lounge and Departure. Those are more cocktail lounges, though, and both are basically downtown. If gaming, then Guardian Games would have plenty of space, be open all day, and be full of people playing Magic. If you wanted to do both, I dunno - Lucky Lab? They might have table space on a Sunday afternoon even though game night is Thursday.

Those are just suggestions. What might be better would be to figure out the general location we want to meet (Beaverton, downtown Portland, Seattle) and then find an appropriate place based on what y’all wanna do there.

Guardian Games also has a bar, though no food. And there isn’t a lot of food without going a few blocks. It does have a good demo collection and dedicated gaming tables. Sunday the bar area tables are all reserved though, that’s X-wing and miniatures day in there. But there are plenty in the main room, and usually several open even on Sundays during league play.

Lucky Lab has both food and beer, but no demo game collection. IBU Public House is also amenable to gaming, and has a full bar/ restaurant. Portland Game Store has a small tap with decent prices, tables, and is close to plenty of food options, including several right next door. Rainy Day Games over in Beaverton/Aloha is another good game store, but no food or beer inside. Not far from plenty.

However if it’s just food you want, I’ll defer to Bruce. He definitely hasn’t the incide track on that.

One other place is Game Knight Lounge on Williams:

http://pdxgameknight.com

They have food AND drink AND games.

Game Knight Lounge looks pretty awesome if people don’t mind traveling downtown. Doesn’t much matter to me, I won’t be the one doing the driving anyway. :) I’m open to wherever is most central/easy to reach for everyone, though!

Aw man, we haven’t done a meetup in these parts in years. Not since we went to Valve, I think. We should work something out.

I just checked and found that I still have five punches left on my ten-punch Game Knight card so I could pay for up to five of us. Only saves five bucks each but, hey.

Oh, I hope Craig makes you all play his little X-Wing toys game! Be sure to take pics and post them. Plz make Geryk play Porkins’ X-Wing.

-Tom

Dammit. That weekend is the HP Lovecraft Film Fest down in Portland. I’ve driven down for it from Seattle every year for the last ten or so.

I think I’d just decided to skip this year, though. I would have to be back early Sunday morning to run my market stall. I also have to watch my cash flow since I quit my job to concentrate on the business for a bit, and I think I’ve decided to spend money on my friend’s little post-Essen boardgame fest here in Seattle instead.

But I may change my mind and drive down on a whim- I get stupid sometimes and make bad decisions. I’ll keep an eye on this thread.

HAHA NERD

I can hold it!

Firmly second tier stuff, Bruce only gets the best.

Porkins first name is “Jek”? Now they’re just making stuff up.

-Tom