Portland OR - Oct 4-8

I’m fairly sure learning Roots requires at least 4 playthroughs, one for each faction. It’s awesome design, but sooooooo complicated.

I am the vulture despot!

Cats are OP.

The Victor!

I need about a dozen more playthroughs of Roots to know what the hell I’m doing, but it was fun being confused!

The home stretch…last game for tonight, Colt Express!

It was a great time guys. @ineffablebob I’m glad you were able to spend the afternoon playing games. @Brooski thanks for bringing out Root. It’s a fascinating design that Skip is right about, we would need to play multiple times to truly ‘get’.

It’s really four different games.

There is much to say about the design, and I look forward to giving it another go some time.

@Exodor it was a pleasure to meet you. Til next time gentlemen!

Thanks to all for the enjoyable day of gaming and beer.

Looking forward to playing again!

Uh-oh, four players? None of you know it? I have a bad feeling about this thread.

…several posts later…

I guess it wasn’t so bad. But now I really want to shoot a teaching video. I sent Bruce an outline for how I teach Root, but it might have included too much shorthand. Glad you guys got to try it in between your filthy casual fare like Chrono Trigger and Cowboy Flick Fest! :)

-Tom

It took me longer than needed to process this. I thought @CraigM had brought his Nintendo mini for a second.

That looked like a great time, and it was heartwarming to read all this, thank you for the report, @Brooski.

I had a great time. Thanks to everyone for being awesome. @CraigM requested a game of War of the Ring with the painter minis, and I’m glad to host a session at my house next month. The rest of this month, unfortunately, is work.

I’m afraid I don’t know what that means, did you paint all the minis? I’m gonna need pics.

Erm, I meant to write “painted minis” but, you know, autocorrect.

I have the Anniversary Edition with the painted minis, larger map, and overall nicer components.

If you look in The Boardgaming 2018 thread you can see the pics of the expansion version that just arrived, with painted minis, etc.

Having seen them in person I can say the pictures hardly do them justice.

Just to close the loop on this trip…I have successfully returned to the Midwest. Where it is in the upper 70s, oddly enough for mid October. Thanks again for some great game time @Exodor @CraigM @Brooski at a very cool venue!

If any QT3 folks have reason to travel up here to West Michigan, we should definitely grab some game time.