Post-Trump Republican Party

I blame Randy Newman.

It’s a pretty funny video. I think Cleveland gets a bit of a bad rap. We’ve visited Cleveland for vacation (yes, on purpose!) and have enjoyed it.

https://youtu.be/yBaCG-HcEBU?t=21

When are we gonna get Drew Carey in here?

I lived there for a decade in the prior millennium. It has its charms.

I have found the people who make fun of Cleveland the most are Clevelanders.

This is one of my favorite 30 Rock bits ever.

Can confirm
– Clevelander

I think if the Q’s take over the Republicans, it will make the party unable to win nationally.

They’ve got the combo of being a majority of Republicans, but so toxic everyone else hates them.

It’s about as popular as running AOC during the time of Bill Clinton.

I’d like to think that’s true, but I thought the same about Trump, so I’m betting this will somehow become the norm for the party acceptable to half the country.

I kind of like that all the press seem to be treating the infrastructure bill as if it’s a Biden accomplishment already, even though I have no idea if it will even pass. I kind of like it. I’m guessing the Infrastructure bill will become the rallying cry in 2022 when the house flips to Republican, just like Obamacare and the outrage over it was the rallying cry back in 2010.

This is the exact same thing practically all of us said about Trump.

Well, too be fair, Trump was a weird outlier. The Q people are batshit insane. That has to make a difference, right? Right? Right?

Only the wind replied.

No one thought Trump could win, so folks stayed home because they hated Hillary.

I don’t think either of those mistakes will be repeated for a while.

No, now folks will stay home because they have nowhere to legally cast a ballot in Republican controlled states.

Little bit further right and I think you’ll have it.

This. The GOP we are seeing at the Federal level may be 10lbs of crazy in a 5lb bag, but the GOP at the state level (while also featuring a fair share of insane people) is laser focused on ensuring their minority amount of voters can withstand any challenge to win elections for years to come thanks to voter suppression, intimidation and disenfranchisement alongside plenty of good old-fashioned gerrymandering.

We also had the Census numbers released this week, and it doesn’t look good for 2022.

Now a “red” state picking up seats doesn’t automatically make those seats Republican because most of the population growth tied to those seats is likely in urban areas of the state that tend to vote Democrat. However, a Republican controlled state picking up a seat means the Republicans in control get to redraw the districts next year, and that means gerrymandering the urban districts even further so that even with heavy Democrat turnout they are likely to remain in Republican hands.

The thing that might help

1. Republicans don’t know if the 2020 realignment is permanent.

2. Angering the suburban voters is going to cost them at state level, those voters will vote.

3. In some cases, governors/courts will block the attempts, and republicans haven’t gerrymandered state supreme courts yet (I suspect this will be coming next)

Trump got more votes in 2020

Oh trust me, the local GOP around here is no less stupid than the national party.

Laser focused brain geniuses, they are not.