Post your pet!

Nice looking baby there, even with the Cone of Shame.

I know the kidney disease problem well. Cat kidneys are almost always the first to go. I’ve lost 3 that way over the years. We did 3 years subcutaneous water on one. I have another now, she’s almost 21, and her kidneys just show the slightest signs–high phosphorus levels so far. I’m dreading the day I have to start subQ water on her.

Your girl there looks like she has some meat on her at least. How old is she?

She’s probably eight or nine - she’s a rescue cat and there’s some ambiguity about her birth date. She’s actually a very small cat - her normal weight is only around six and half pounds; at the time of the photo, she’s about five and a half. Not so good, but she’s been eating a lot since the hospital stay.

Our vet gave as the stuff do subcutaneous hydration for her when we brought her home, but neither my wife nor I have been able to quite manage to do it yet…

I feel for you. We just lost one of our cats to this. The subcutenous drip helped a bit, but he quit eating and just wasted away to almost nothing. We made him as comfortable as possible, it stretched out over 3 weeks till he finally passed. I don’t mean to be a downer, but reading up on it afterwards, the survival rate is pretty low.

That’s a cute bunny you’ve got there.

Cat’s hair got too matted, and we had to have him shaved.

I’ve mentioned my Chihuahua terrier mix before but haven’t posted a picture yet. He’s more like a cat than a dog though. Finicky eater, doesn’t like the cold, doesn’t like getting wet, loves humans and doesn’t like most dogs. Does love riding in the car. The kids named him Drago.

Dog desk.

Look familiar?

Love the expression of the dog in the background.

That’s Gizmo. He was here first. He resents Max, big time. We got Max when my mother passed. Max outweighs Gizmo by about 15 pounds. Gizmo does not care. There have been… arguments. :)

Hahaha, ours are the same. I’ve had Buddy (Frenchie) since he was 12 weeks old. Bear (Chihuahua) was raised by my girlfriend, and is older but more nimble and can jump on the bed and sleep with the humans. Buddy is heavier and not as, “cute,” and resents the hell out of Bear. They tolerate each other and occasionally nap together side by side. But it’s a love/hate relationship. We try to give them equal attention, but it’s really hard.

We got a dog for our dog. She just turned two, and she’s not really great at socializing with other dogs. She likes them, but she can never figure them out. She’s a herding breed, so she prefers to herd and chase the other dogs at the dog park, rather than interacting with them. She’s super playful at home with us, though. Anyhow, we know she has loads of energy, and we try our best to burn it off via play and walks, but we know she had the chance to be bored from time to time - we thought a companion for play would be good for her.

So, we decided to foster a rescue pup, with the intent of adopting if it worked out. We set a two week time limit to see how it’d go. The first couple of days were dicey. Our dog was stressed, she didn’t love the puppy, even when we were limiting the interactions to brief windows… But then, we just kind of … let them go, to see what would happen (with strict supervision, of course).

They are now quickly becoming best friends, sisters. They’ve taken to each other strongly, which is awesome. They’re even starting to snuggle at nap time with one another, which is shocking. The pup is only 11 weeks old, and I think she’ll end up a little bigger than our dog, but since Gipsy is teaching her in the ways of The Big Sister, I think it’ll be okay. We’re so relieved. It helps that this is one of the chillest, sweetest pups we’ve ever encountered.

Anyhow, you came here for puppy pictures, so here’s the little newbie after she discovered the joys of digging. Her mom is half Staffy, half husky. No idea what dad is.

It’s hard to judge the scale based on the pic. Is her head large? If you had not said the mix of the mom I could swear I was looking at a pit bull or staffordshire pup.She’s a cutie, I love her colors.

Heh, just perspective. Her head isn’t particularly large. She’s actually not super big right now, but that’s probably due to age. She’s about 12lbs at 11 weeks, so I think she’ll end up around 50 or so pounds. She’s not stocky like a pit bull pup; she’s actually pretty lean. That may partially be because she was severely malnourished as a pup (like I said, she’s a rescue; I think only 4 of the litter she was a part of survived). I’m curious to see what she ends up looking like. She has a lot of staffy\pit cues at the moment, except the body shape and overall size.

Update; jeebus she’s getting big quick. I think she’ll end up around 50lbs. Her and Gip are now best buds, though, which is awesome. Still only 14 weeks old, and still somehow a complete sweetie.

I kept this in mind over the last month so as not to get my hopes up too high… we’re past four weeks now, but her health is definitely slipping again. Poor kitty. We’ve got a follow-up appointment at the vet tomorrow that I suspect she won’t be returning home from. I’m more prepared for that possibility now then I was a month ago, at least, but losing a pet is big downer.

54%20AM

I’m so sorry, and you’ve been in my thoughts. The critical part seems to be if they are continuing to eat. Our cat just stopped eating and the weight loss was dramatic. In hindsight, both my wife and I felt it would have been better to accelerate the process through euthanasia rather than letting nature take its course. The last week, he couldn’t even walk, and we were carrying him everywhere. We hoped he would pass in the night, but the last day was agonizing to be around, as he kept trying to move on his own and was crying out a lot. We comforted him the best we could, but it was a long 4-5 hours.

Very sorry to hear that. My thoughts to you guys though, and if it must be, a painless process for kitty.

I’ve had to do this many times through the years, and it never gets any easier.

Godspeed to her, and my condolences to you.