Post your pet!

And toast. Dry.

Jake … and Elwood!

I’m way more of cat person than a dog person and none of these are mine but. This was definitely my twitter thread of the day.

How do you feed that thing?

I only just discovered that this thread exists. I like dogs more than most people, looking through the other posts here has been great.

Here is the first dog I had growing up, named Lizzie, who was a kelpie x king charles spaniel (would have been an interesting couple). She died at 10 which was too young:

Shortly before she died we got a cattledog x jack russell named Myshka, they were friends:

Myshka loves tennis balls very much:

When Lizzie died we added another dog, this time a 3/4 pug x something I forget, named Milly, Milly and Myshka quickly became friends:

photo

Here they are now with Myshka 12 years old and Milly 11:

Milly is now deaf, but we think she still enjoys life alot. Myshka is still at puppy a heart and jumps for balloons, chases balls, and goes crazy during walks, just with much less energy than she used to have. These three dogs have been with me from around 7 to 30 years old. I’ve since moved away from home, but take any excuse to go back to visit them (along with my parents too of course!). Going through photos of Lizzie to post here made writing this very emotional.

I agree, Kelpies are great. My mum grew up in rural Victoria and has always had a thing for Australian work dog breeds, but we never had the space for big energetic dogs like that. I think that’s why two of the dogs were half kelpie or cattle dog, you get the same brain and (broad) look but in a more manageable frame!

Do you see many dingoes where you are? Also, have you seen African wild dogs before? They are amazing animals.

Great dingo photo! I am jealous you see them at all. Around my area in Sydney there are plenty of cool birds, brush turkeys, and pest rabbits. The only really cool land animal we’ve seen is an echidna around a nearby creek.

Seeing dhole would be great, I really hope you see them! My wife and I have been to India, but we stayed in Ranthambore which while great for Tiger encounters has no dhole. If you go to Africa (or back to) we can really recommend South Luangwa National Park in Zambia. We saw two large packs of wild dogs there. With one we were able to stay with them for a few hours and watch them play, sleep, wake up, get each other excited enough to go hunt, and then chase after an impala who unfortunately got away. It’s one of my favourite wildlife memories. You really do see the dog personality in how they behave, yet they also have very interesting wild aspects to them as well. The park is amazing for Leopard as well (probably the best in all of Africa for them).

I never knew they were in Cambodia as well, I will keep that in mind in future as I would like to visit more of South East Asia. Let me know how it goes when you go there.

The Okavango is really beautiful. We were only there for a few days, and didn’t see doggies or much else. We did see dogs in Chobe and Moremi in Botswana, but the quality of the sightings there were nowhere close to Zambia. I have some footage of them in Botswana, but it isn’t good (although seeing the lone dog chase a Red Llechwe is always entertaining for me, particularly as the excited guide is guaranteeing us a kill that doesn’t happen):

Sometime I will edit together the footage of the pack in Zambia. Semi-related we stayed at a lodge in South Luangwa called Flatdogs, which is a slang for crocodile!

We didn’t see any in Tanzania or South Africa. In February we are going to Kenya (and Uganda), but we aren’t going to the area in Kenya that has a good population of dogs called Laikipia. I don’t think they’re seen in the Mara unfortunately.

By the way, I will check out the documentary you linked, thanks for linking it.

Does anyone have pet names for their pets? I have a few I cycle through for my dog:

shnoogie-boogie
smoochie-pooch
snuggle-butt
super-duper-pooper-snooper, or just pooper-snooper
[edit] princess

How about you?

Heh.

Max, the shi tzu, is also known as Dopey Dog and Move Max Move Max Move Max Get Out From Under My Damn Feet MAX!

Gizmo, the yohuahua, is Gizzy, Up Pup, Upper Pupper and Shut Up It’s Only The Damn Wind! and Leave Max Alone Damn You!

Buttfart
Pretty Boy
Dummy

I also call my pug Milly “pig”, “fatty”, “fat blob”. Now that I have written it out it sounds really mean, but I always say it in a nice tone so her dog ears (back when she could hear) would always take these things as compliments.

Tim, are you fat-shaming your dog? That you feed? :)

Haha, when I say my dog I really mean by parents dog, I moved out about 5 years ago but still see them regularly. So my mum has always fed Milly, and so fat-shaming her also worked as a great passive aggressive way to encourage my mum to feed her less. Although really it’s the dogs fault, she isn’t active unless she absolutely has to be.

I am convinced dogs somehow know anyway…

Maybe if, when talking to other humans, I use these terms in a derogatory way to ridicule and injure I can see how a dog would understand, but I have never done that. If you were a dog and a human was saying “bloomja” (or whatever) to you repeatedly in nice soothing tones while fawning over you, you would assume bloomja was a term of endearment (which it is even in this case).

Perhaps I shouldn’t have posted about this, I don’t want to offend anyone by using terms that I would never do in human society even as a joke.

In the same vein, does anyone else ever use their dogs as something like a confessional? You can really say anything to them.

I was just kidding, Tim. :)

I’m not saying dogs are offended or upset. (They will forgive almost anything.) But I think over time they come to know you well enough to know when you’re poking fun at them, even when using a “nice” voice. Maybe a puppy is too dumb/eager to do this.

LOL, that’s great.

I’ve generalyl done the whole baby thing with my cats. But these two guys I just call “buddy” It seems to fit them.

I’m a little late to the nick name conversation but I do this constantly and to a fault.

Chut, Chutbutt, The Butt, Buttney, Bear, Bear Bear, Stinky, Stinky Monster

😝