Post your pet!

Both of my dogs are rescues. The one pictured above was seen around over several months but they could not catch him. He had a massive flea infestation and was underweight, would he eventually die? Probably. But it would take longer than a month.

I spent an overnight on the beach at Coney Island with my buddy Murray the Dealer. We were on the rocks at dawn, smoking joints and hash oil. Suddenly we saw a mass of motion. We ended up running to the boardwalk just in time to miss the pack. Dozens of dogs of all kinds. From German Shepherds to Chihuahuas. All running down the beach. They lived there, under the piers at the end. An amazing and, honestly, scary sight.

I remember the first time my little sister witness one of our kitties killing a mouse. I usually didnā€™t stop them when they were outside, but he was just walking around with this thing freaking out in his mouse and thereā€™s my little, just bawling. I think we rescued that one but had to convince her not to hate the pets for following her instinct. Now my other sister, sheā€™s move stuff so the cats had an easier time getting rodents.

Between the two of themā€¦ I just kind of let things happen but i saved one of the award winning birds, Darwin winning, that came down my chimney.

We rescued a 14 year-old female Chihuahua this weekend. She should be good to babysit our 14 year-old male Chihuahua as a sidekick. Unfortunately she had fleas pretty badly, but weā€™re treating that now and have her scheduled for a vet appointment on Thursday for a full checkup. Sheā€™s SO loving. The prior owner was forced to get rid of several pets, i donā€™t know whatā€™s going on there but she seems literally starved for attention.

This is Rosie:

And her sidekick, Bear, wearing part of his Halloween attire:

Good for you! Rescues are the best. They deserve all of the love.

All of our dogs have been rescues. Bailey came out of an abusive home and is scared of her own shadow. It took two years for her to trust me enough to get next to me on the couch, and she still flinches occasionally when I go to pet her.

They do indeed. And this is the first adult dog Iā€™ve gotten in a while, itā€™s so nice skipping puppy training. Sheā€™s not the best with commands, yet, but she is loving our home, her new food routine and her new brother.

Iā€™m getting some of that vibe from Rosie, while she will follow and whine for my girlfriend, all over the house, sheā€™s afraid of my voice and me and will flinch sometimes when I move near her. She also growls at me from a distance as I approach but that may just be her eyesight. Getting her to not flinch will probably take a while. She did roll over and expose her belly to me yesterday after three days. Thatā€™s a good sign. I gave her the best belly rub.

My dog got traumatized at the dog park, and is now pretty vicious to other dogs unless theyā€™re really chill. I wish there were some way to correct this.

If youā€™re serious about fixing it or it becomes an issue call the most reputable trainer/behaviorist you know or other pet owners near you refer to, you can ask vets as well. Both trainers and behaviorists can typically work with a dog to help calm aggression. On the scale of actual certifications, applied animal behaviorists usually have a doctorate or masters and are probably going to be more expensive to work with. But I know trainers that have worked with some of my friends dogs to GREAT effect.

One particular friend had an aggressive German Shepherd. Pre-training, she was very possessive of her owners, yard, or people around her vs. any other pet nearby. After training you wouldnā€™t EVEN know itā€™s the same dog. She is as calm and gentle as a lamb, and the trainer also worked on commands with her so it was a very big win for my friend. The trainer had the dog for a week and then my friend had in-home follow up sessions with the trainer and her dog, aka owner training.

And whatever you do, ignore Cesar Millan. Heā€™s a dangerous charlatan.

Heā€™s quoted as such, by other behaviorists. I actually liked the show when I watched it. The guy found his niche and went with it. To be fair, trainers and behaviorists can and do conflict with each other. I mean, itā€™s pets weā€™re talking about, they canā€™t -really- tell us the issue or voice their opinions on methods.

As for Cesar, the guy made a career out of helping people with pet problems, but heā€™s written books and been on a number of videos as well as his TV shows and appearances. Anyone that much in the spotlight is going to be a target for everything they do.

That being said, Iā€™m not a certified ANYTHING with regards to pets and I have issues getting mine to even listen to me sometimes. So I really wouldnā€™t know if Cesar is good or bad beyond if he showed up with beer and food and puppies at my house.

Iā€™ve read articles about him. Of course you only see the segments where he succeeds. Not the ones where dogs attack him or he just fails miserably. Also his concept of pack dynamics is flawed and out of style.

I think thatā€™s honestly a lot of it. Dominance based training used to be the thing, itā€™s fallen out of favor.

It is coming up to 4 years since Max had to be put down. He made it 15 1/2 years and was way too smart for his own good, still miss him.

The good news is that Rudy and Tusa are great dogs and a lot of fun to be around.

Have you ever touched snow?

FTFY.

Point made. I suppose that at some point in my life I will look back and have a sort of nostalgia for snow. Then I will take my medication. :)

Take it now! Take it now!

This, of course, always makes snow better.

If I could take my future meds now I certainly would.

A recent pet story:
So, I noticed the day before yesterday that Max peed on a chair, which is not normal for him. I then saw him standing in his litter box for a long while, not doing anything. Doesnā€™t seem like a good sign.

I ended up taking him and Claudia to the vet. Max to get this checked out, Claudia because they were overdue for their annual checkups and vaccinations anyway.

Now, while max was having some issues peeing, otherwise he was acting totally fine. Eating, drinking, playing, agressively licking claudiaā€™s face until she cried and kicked him. But, I figured that Iā€™d take him in before it became something worse.

Anyway, I got the carriers out. Now, the first time I took them to the vet, Claudia was pretty good. Sheā€™s generally a very floppy cat who is snuggly and likes being held. Max is snuggly, but heā€™s less comfortable just being flopped around. He likes attention, but heā€™s generally pretty awkward about it. Like, heā€™ll come up and want pets, but not really know how to sit with you, and will end up sprawled out in some weird position, looking vaguely worried about what is happening.

At the vet the first time, Max was NOT cool with it. Ultimately, they ended up having to put on the animal handling gloves, and hold him during the examination.

Anyway, this time, I expected to get the same kind of reaction for max and claudia.

But instead, I opened up the carriers, and Max just walked over into his sniffed around. I closed the door, and he was like, ā€œOk. Whatever.ā€

Relieved that went so easily, I turned around to get claudia. She was nowhere to be found. I looked all over the house, and eventually found her under my bed, in the exact center, just sitting there. I am honestly impressed that she pretty much knew exactly what was going down when I opened the carrier. It wasnā€™t like the carrier was pulled out of somewhere else and suddenly had some kind of fear scent on it either. They were just sitting in the corner behind a table in the living room the whole time. But Claudia knew that they were going to the vet. It was like a garfield cartoon or something.

Eventually I coaxed her out, and tried to get her into the carrierā€¦ it was not easy. Sheā€™s a tiny floppy cat, but was able to make herself consistently larger and very rigid, impossible to get into the carrier. After a while I did succeed.

She then proceeds to just start howling. Max is pretty chill through all of this, but she is howling.

I take them outside, put them in the car, and off we go. The vetā€™s only about half a mile from my house, so itā€™s a short drive, but sheā€™s howling the whole way.

I get them there, and we go back into the examination room. Claudia quiets down, and weā€™re just sitting there, quietly for a while.

Eventually the vet comes in, and she remembers Max, so she and I are both expecting difficulties. I tell her his symptoms, and she thinks itā€™s probably a urinary tract infection, which is also what I had thought. His stomach wasnā€™t hard or tender or anything, so I didnā€™t think he had some bigger problem.

Anyway, I get him out, and heā€™s totally cool. No fuss, no meowing. He just sits there calmly, lets her examine him. Amazing. Anyway, I put him back in his carrier.

Claudiaā€™s turn. She will not come out. I eventually have to just tip the carrier over and dump her out. She gets examined, and is fine (sheā€™s gotten a bit fatter, and has tartar buildup). But sheā€™s just hissing and growling constantly. She knows sheā€™s gonna get shots (Max didnā€™t get any shots, because they didnā€™t want to give him a vaccination while he was already sick). And she does eventually. She doesnā€™t really fight or try to scratch, she just howls and hisses, literally the entire time.

I put her back in her carrier. The vet decides that itā€™s almost certainly a UTI for Max, and gives me some non absorbent cat litter (basically plastic beads) and says to get a urine sample from him. Turns out, this is impossible, since his UTI is making him think he has to pee all the time, which means heā€™s peeing a tiny bit, and not enough to collect. It just makes the beads wet. So, thatā€™s a losing battle at this point.

Also gave me an antibiotic and an anti-inflamatory for him. Iā€™ve never given a cat pills, and expected it to be much harder than it was. He took the first one without much issue. THe second one he was basically, ā€œOk dude, I was cool with you doing the first one, but this is getting old.ā€ But I did get him to take it.

Anyway, seems like Max will be fine. Upon return home, Max was fine and walking around, Claudia ran under the bed again and hated me for a few hours, but eventually came out and has forgiven me.

Iā€™m still amused though that Claudia had some realization of what was going on before it happenedā€¦ Sheā€™s always been a very smart cat, able to figure out how to open every door and cabinet in my house (which is extremely annoying, and eventually forced me to install child proof latches on the cabinets), but I do wonder exactly what was going through her little peach sized brain when I opened the carrier.

Cats are smart. They even understand physics.

Wrap him in a towel first. Makes it much easier (Iā€™ve found the pill pockets or sticking a pill in something like liverwurst doesnā€™t work at all.)

Hope Max feels better soon. Grandmaā€™s chicken soup might help too.