Post your pet!

Here are my 3 avian comrades:

Pinkerton the Rose Breasted Cockatoo

Rocket the Derbyan Parrot

Sid the Meyer’s Parrot

Gorgeous birdies! Sid the Meyer’s parrot, indeed. :)

Steve

and

Spinelli

A funny thing happened on the way to Astoria, Queens yesterday. We adopted a puppy from a rescue outfit! He’s 4 months old, named Yuki. A Jindo/Shiba, maybe Corgi mix. We had a Shiba Inu that passed away about 5 years ago when our kids were very little, so this is an exciting moment for everyone.

Cute pup!

Puppy are awesome but eventually they grow up to become dogs.

Which by they way is even MORE AWESOME! Dogs rock.

Congrats on your new family member. Much cute. Very pupper.

RIP Mr. S. Age 16. The house is empty without you, Bud.

I’m sorry for your loss.

Sorry, man. He looks very sweet. That is a nice shot. Very dignified.

Sorry to hear that, Jason. He lived a long life, and as a distinguished looking chap as well.

Thanks for the nice thoughts, folks. He did live a long life and was very active right up until his final illness, which was thankfully very brief.

Wow 16 years. Sorry about that, Jason. Losing a pet is very hard.

He was very fluffy.

A fine doggo.

You have my sympathies on your loss. Its so hard to know what to say in these situations. Fate has played such a cruel joke on man by bring him the dog. Such a loyal, awesome friend and companion but so short lived compared to man. I so dread the day I lose my friend, Chewie, it will kill me inside.

But for now I will enjoy how awesome he is and how lucky Ive been to have him as a friend. This is Chewie a few days ago, contemplating ninjaing a beer on my brothers boat.

It’s always tough, I’m sorry for your loss. I had to make the hard choice four weeks ago with my buddy Tank. He just about made it to 13 which is a pretty good span for a GSD. He had a degenerative spinal disease and in classic “5 stages of grief” fashion I spent the last 6 months sure the vet didn’t know what he was walking about, Tank was just getting old. They said he would have about 6 months after diagnosis and unfortunately that was right on. He seemed “fine” the day before but the next day he wouldn’t get up and wouldn’t drink, I think he was just done. We did an in home Euthanasia service which I’m glad we used it made for an easier goodbye.

We got Tank when my oldest was in Kindergarten and I just dropped him at college this weekend (but that’s a whole different emotional thread :-) )

Here’s my favorite pic from when he wasn’t as gray and his ears still stood up.

And here a few months back with my daughter. These two were inseparable.

Chronic, thanks and what can I say? Only that I know how you feel. And, again, thanks to everybody here for their kind thoughts. Mr. S leaves us with some great memories.

I feel for you. My GSD, Beowulf, went to his reward a few years ago, at almost 13 as well. We did in home too, with our younger girl dog there (the vet said it helped them with their grief, and it seemed to work). It was hard; I carried him in as a puppy, and carried him out on his final ride after the vet did his thing.

But we have our two standard poodles at the moment, and you just have to enjoy them and count your blessings for all the joy they bring. Everything passes, but it’s what you do while your here–and what you get from each other–that matters.

Not to continue on a tough topic, but as someone with two older dogs in the house, can you guys comment on the in-home euthanasia? Did you find that service advertised or just call different vets? And as I’m familiar (unfortunately) with the timeline of the same at the vet, is it a fairly quick process at home as well both for us and for our pet?