Pot vs. Booze

Well, if it’s the GOOD goods, then 2 hits oughta do it. And unless you’re spending every day high all day, the good goods should last a while.

Also - any addiction is pathetic (especially if it’s FFVI), but I assumed we were talking about consumption in moderation, where among all other considerations, the substance in question is at its most efficient. And nothing is more efficient than a bowl full of Hydro if you just want to sit around and soak up the ambiance(and do nothing else of consequence) for a few hours.

Ha, ha. Spoken like a true stoner from the 70s!

Who here has paid full price for a computer game in the last month? 2 or more games? 4 or more, at any price? I’m sorry, but you are excused from the Vice Economics subargument.

Although, either way, it does come down to consumption rate. 3 beers an evening (and not every evening) off a 10 dollar 12 pack isn’t going to drive you into the poorhouse, and neither is a couple sweet tokes off a bong. Of course, the big problem with casual small-dose drug use is, the quality of the gear declines fairly sharply. I don’t partake of the wondrous green leaf anymore (never really dug it so much back in college when I did do it more often, save this one awesome day I got called into work at the hotel on my day off, after getting silly high - best work day, ever), so naturally an old buddy of mine secures this retardedly-good chronic bud. Or what the Hell ever, it could be oregano dipped in corn syrup and hops for all I know. As his wonderful, lovely, but altogether volatile spouse (a cacaphonous mixture of full-blooded Sicilian and full-blooded Argentinian rumbling beneath an olive-complexioned veneer of diminutive grace, is his love) bears his as-yet-unborn daughter…well, the man takes steps in lieu of his own sanity, you know? A vacuum-sealer, for one. I bet Mr. Popeil fails to point out in his litany of uses for the Renco Seal-O-Matic, that it keeps your freshy-freshy fresh as well as your trail mix.

Otherwise? After a month, your stash gets crumbly. Smaller packages mean dealing with the dealer more frequently, and nobody (except the dealer) wants that. (cf. A Perfect Circle’s The Package for expo).

Actually, dumb people are one of the main factors, and lots of dumb people drink a lot. Granted, alcohol makes it easier for dumb people to act dumb, but the only thing dumb people are really good at it is finding ways to make acting dumb easier. Put this way: if you managed to stop all trafficking of illegal substances, then made alcohol and tobabcco illegal, then pulled hairspray, airplane glue, whipped cream and any other inhalants off the shelves and made it somehow impossible to inhale gasoline fumes as well, dumb people would smack each other in the forehead with 2x4’s to get a buzz. If you don’t believe me, think about whomever invented glue-sniffing and making each other pass out in grade school.

It turns out that pot does not get along with my blood pressure meds (I have high blood pressure that is under control through these meds and diet and exercise). I found this out at a board game night where we got stoned as we were setting up Twilight Imperium. I’m told that my eyes rolled back in my head and I leaned back in the chair and sat there twitching for about five minutes. All I remember was the world getting all sparkly and then the guys were saying, “So, dude, are you going to play or what? Because if you’re not we have to set up the board different.”

In their defense, they were stoned.

So I quit smoking pot.

And if you think booze makes you smell bad, let me tell you that pot makes you reek. It also makes your house stink.

Having seen others who get on the “get home from work and get stoned” track of life, I would also say that aside from making you stupid, it pretty much robs you of ambition. I have no hard evidence of this, I’ve just seen people get bogged down in dead-end jobs because they spent every waking hour when they weren’t working (and some when they were) stoned.

So those would be negatives to pot, but especially the seizure thing.

Actually, dumb people are one of the main factors, and lots of dumb people drink a lot. Granted, alcohol makes it easier for dumb people to act dumb, but the only thing dumb people are really good at it is finding ways to make acting dumb easier. Put this way: if you managed to stop all trafficking of illegal substances, then made alcohol and tobabcco illegal, then pulled hairspray, airplane glue, whipped cream and any other inhalants off the shelves and made it somehow impossible to inhale gasoline fumes as well, dumb people would smack each other in the forehead with 2x4’s to get a buzz. If you don’t believe me, think about whomever invented glue-sniffing and making each other pass out in grade school.[/quote]
Not really. If anything, men are the main factor.
I’m not saying that alcohol causes violent crime, however, the fact that it makes it easier for violence to happen makes it one of the main factors of violent crime, so I don’t really see how you’re disagreeing. That people would find a substance with equal effect is pure conjecture. That the graphs for violent crime rate and alcohol use have been identical for most of the last 150 years would also suggest otherwise. When alcohol use is down, so is violent crime. Of course, this isn’t a completely causative relationship, alcohol does not cause behavior which in its extremes lead to violence, it merely exacerbates it (and it’s interesting to note that while the graph of alcohol consumption and violence are identical in a great many nations, alcohol consumption and amount of violence does not correlate between nations). One may of course see both as indicative of general unhappiness in a nation, causing both. Personally, though, I say violent behaviour feeds off alcohol consumption. There are so many other ways unhappiness can manifest (or not) itself. As Dean mentions, there are people in the “get home from work and get stoned”-category. If they instead went out drinking, they’d most certainly cause more violence.

I prefer G personally.

Bill, what makes you think dumb people don’t smoke pot? Though actually, a pot vs. alcohol violence comparision adjusted for demographics would be interesting.

Isn’t drinking 5 or 6 beers supposed to be hard to recover from? 6 light beers in 2 hours is enough to get you almost legally drunk at 200 pounds…

http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

Drinking 5 or 6 beers isn’t hard to recover from at my age. No different that a bad (sober) night’s sleep. Assuming about 8 hours of ‘sleep’ time, that is.

Once played 12 straight hours of TIE Fighter with two hits of pink sunshine in me. This may explain why I still think it’s the best game ever.

Anyway, I hung up pot and such about 4 years back. Just too much bullshit involved. Gotta find it, buy it, find a place to smoke it that nobody’s going to say “HEY! Somebody’s smoking POT!!”, etc. Now that I’ve got my own house and moved several states away I just really don’t know anybody to get it from except one guy at work - and I wouldn’t want to involve the office and my supa-excerrent job in pot acquisition.

As for the paranoia… omg. That’s why I pretty much quit, but also one reason I liked it. It made me VERY self conscious and introspective. Almost like seeing myself from the point of view of others, and it helped me do some personality rearrangement. However, the occasional thought that someone might kick the door in, aliens abduct me, or I get a phone call that someone died was a real fucker, so I hung it up.

Maybe I’m just young(er), but six beers over the course of an evening is nothing to me.

Having seen others who get on the “get home from work and get stoned” track of life, I would also say that aside from making you stupid, it pretty much robs you of ambition. I have no hard evidence of this, I’ve just seen people get bogged down in dead-end jobs because they spent every waking hour when they weren’t working (and some when they were) stoned.

That’s probably more like a substance abuse problem than the drug itself being the problem. It wouldn’t be any different if they got home from work and started drinking.

It’s an interesting dichotomy, when you’re younger your body can tolerate more abuse and bounce back, but when you’re older you’re more concerned about your own comfort and do things a little bit more intelligently, thus saving your worn-down body.

For instance, you can drink yourself silly, provided you give yourself about 2 hours of non-drinking before going to sleep, drink a lot of water, and had food on your stomach. When I was younger I didn’t realize the importance of drinking in the correct fashion, and I paid the price. These days, I’m still a frequent drinker, but I only get about two hangovers a year.

There are different kinds of drunks, however. I know a lot of people that lose all sense of the future after the fourth or fifth drink. These are the people who binge, regret, swear off, then binge again. My brain doesn’t really change that much when I drink, wisdom-wise, I’m still careful about the aftermath of any action.

H.

Plus, if you’re doing it right, once you get older you start drinking better beers. The ones without 4.5% alcohol in them, for instance.

That’s true, the best beers all have more than 5% alcohol!

Actually I think it’s more the “positive” of no hangovers from pot. If you came home and got blitzed on a weeknight on booze, you’d pay for it in the morning and then do the “I’ll never do that again” bit for at least a day or two.

It’s a pretty big step to take a drink in the morning to get over a hangover (I find), especially on a weekday with work looming, but you get totally stoned and you just feel a little tired the next day, then by the time you get home from work you feel good enough to fire one up again, whereas with a hangover (if it’s a really fierce one) you’re still dealing with deciding to eat or not by the evening.

Frankly, I think hangovers are a positive on the booze side. They provoke moderation.

I don’t drink anymore- since I have no idea what this ‘moderation’ thing is , a night of drinking usually ends up with me stranded on the side of a highway in a different state.
Pot I won’t smoke outside of my house, so I don’t run into the lost in another state issue.
With gaming- I find it easier to get into the ‘zone’ when stoned, but then sometimes at the beginning of a high , I’ll do the most boneheaded things for a few minutes. Don’t play a mission critical class when you are freshly high.Stick to being a grunt for a while.
The Fear- Never run into this- other than the house is going to burn down, and I’m not gonna smell it:)

You all fail.

[size=1]Don’t tell them about the time with the dimebag, the Brazillian hooker, and Brumblefly .[/size]

I remember, at college, waking up one morning to find Civ II running, presumably from the night before. It was on the easiest setting (chieftain, I think), and had the most bizarre, deranged empire ever. The capital was kind of ok, but then there were a bunch of messed up cities, and then a line of little undeveloped cities just going off around the world, all on exactly the same horizontal row, each five squares apart. With about a 10 square gap for an ocean, and then it started up again on the next continent, where I presume I finally fell asleep.