Power Rangers the movie - Hopefully, this has less real life murders

Your first look at Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa.

Stars Naomi Scott, Becky G, Billy Cranston, Dacre Montgomery, and Ludi Lin.

Directed by Dean Israelite (Project Almanac)

March 24th, 2017.

I missed the Power Rangers boat, so this franchise holds no attraction for me. I just know it’s like Pokemon in that it’s been a thing forever.

Oh, shit. I never realized that the glory days of having my childhood feel-good franchises reimagined is necessarily going to be followed by the same happening for all that garbage the millennials were raised on. There goes civilization.

Teletubbies EpVI: The Reckoning

Power Rangers is still on TV making new episodes and my 4 year old loves them. How is this going to work? They’re up to Power Rangers Dino Charge now. Or maybe Super Dino Charge? I don’t even know. What pisses me off is every episode Megazord has a new configuration, which means a new toy, which means my son begs for it. Fuck the power rangers.

Well I’m unreasonably excited about this. Did you guys see the short movie on youtube from like… a couple years back that had a darker take on the original Power Rangers? I hope it is something like that.

I’m just a little disappointed that they’re not going to have Tommy, the Green/White ranger in there.

Would be a cold day in hell before I let me kids watch this stuff. They watch tv, but I’m very restrictive.

Behold the Power Rangers!

They look like guyvers that were dropped into food dye vats.

i’m glad that armor has boob shapes built into it, otherwise there’s no way women could fit in there.

Is the yellow ranger still Asian and the black ranger still black? Thats the most important casting question.

No on both counts.

They’re standing so awkwardly. I can just imagine the actors thinking, “… It’s sorta a super-hero gig at least!”

New trailer, which I accidentally started a new thread for. Let that one die!

I was a power ranger fanboy when I was a kid. Had the 6 foot Black Ranger cardboard cutout behind my bed. Brought all my Power Ranger transformers to “show and tell” at school. Saw at least the first movie in theaters. I’ll definitely be seeing this just for the hit of nostalgia. I have no illusions that it will be good.

It wasn’t until I was in college, when I accidentally saw some re-runs of the original cast episodes, that I realized how bad the dub was and that most of the episodes were rehashed from the Japanese version.

Well, you do have to walk in with a certain level of suspended disbelief because of the material and intended audience. It could be very good at what it wishes to accomplish.

It should really go without saying, but this is awful. It makes the recent TMNT movies look like masterpieces.

The TMNT movies are sort of dumb generic action movies aimed at entertaining teens with no standards and hooking the parents with nostalgia. Those aren’t high bars to clear, but you at least understand the point of the franchise.

Power Rangers feels more like it’s aimed at 6 year olds, but without offering nearly enough action and spectacle to keep a child occupied, and plus sometimes the characters say “shit”. And the action there isn’t cool. Say what you will about the weightless CG of TMNT (or most heavily digital generic action films), at least they run with the freedom of cheap CG and do set pieces you could imagine being interesting in a better film (avalanches, dropping tanks out of planets, whatever). Power Rangers has a car chase in a mini-van through a quarry at night—the ultimate “TV budget” move—and then the normal Rangers/Zords/Megazord escalation with no inventiveness at all at the end of the movie. Seriously, they fight the putties in a rock quarry, and the Zord fights happen in this town that might as well be the digital equivalent of cardboard buildings.

Of course it’s possible they thought that was a charming homage to the show, but it’s not. It’s just dumb and isn’t going to entertain anyone.

Ha ha, you saw the Power Rangers movie.

Is Elizabeth Banks at least having fun?

-Tom

Maybe a little more than the rest of the cast, but that’s a low bar to clear. You could re-cast half the team if it gets a sequel and no one would notice.

The review I read this weekend used the word “stupid” five times.