Powerline Networking is frickin' awesome!

refurb NETGEAR XAV2001-100NAR Up to 200Mbps Powerline AV 200 Adapter

$29.99! $5.99 Shipping (restrictions apply)

the two i got are working right now. it was awesome, i didn’t even have to press the button on the side: just plugged them in and they worked with the monoprice homeplug av units i got earlier.

Is that a single adapter, not paired? NM, that’s a single. Still a good deal.

Hmm, those netgear refurbs might be worth the risk. I could get two and connect the non router one to a regular switch right? That way I can get the bluray, wii and 360 hooked up via wired instead of wireless.

ok so I bit on a pair of the netgear 200’s, and an extra refurbed one. I just got a second tivo premiere for the bedroom, and I need to have good throughput for the multi-room viewing and transfers from tivo-desktop. Thought about wiring cat6 through the house, then remembered why it is that I’m a computer nerd and not a handyman. Hopefully it’ll be simple plug and play…

well I finally got these suckers working… For some reason, plugging them into my router made my cable modem lose sync with my router, where I lost my wan connection but the lan connection was fine… after a thoroughly annoying session of troubleshooting, I reset my modem, rebooted the router, and everything is resynced… varry naasss, after all is said and done.

Yes. That works.

So an update on this, I bit on two refurbished powerline adapters, and setting it up was a breeze, just plug one into one wall socket, plug the other in another, and the network was up and running…except for one interesting side effect. My computer was plugged into a socket that can be turned and off and reset, (much like most bathroom wall sockets), not entirely sure why my place has it in our second bedroom like that, but having both my computer and a powerline adapter plugged into that socket would cause the socket to turn itself off after 10 minutes or so of use. I worked around it by moving my computer desk 6" over so i could reach the other socket on the same wall.

Anyone else experience any weirdness like that when setting these things up?

Yup, had a little weirdness. My living room wall unit has 3 lights that can turn on inside it. Leaving them plugged into the same circuit as the PL adapter made them come on, brighten and shut off and then repeat the process.
I unplugged them and that took care of it.

I have only done straight 200 combinations, in my case a pair of cheap monoprices and a pair of pricey Cisco ones. They work well together, and I can confirm that the button is not for pairing in a traditional sense (as in establishing a rudimentary connection) but for the security thing and should be avoided unless you have an unusual situation where you share a circuit with powerline-savvy neighbors as it will shut out the non-secure ones and is kind of a pain in the ass.

There are a couple of things that I would suggest as a non-techie in the case of your problem. One would be what your existing setup is, and if you can swap in the new 200 for any of them without problems, to confirm there is no particular problem with the new one (is it also of brand B or are you dealing with a new brand C in the equation?). Then, try connecting all four within close proximity of the base unit plugged into your router (should be easy to verify using just the indicator lights, to see if it’s a raw number of pieces issue. Which is the base unit (from the router to the wall) in your system, an 85 or the 200? Switching that one around might help, although lord knows I couldn’t tell you why.

That seems reasonable. As I said, the expected performance should be “it just works when you plug it into the wall”, so anything other than that is worth rethinking the part itself.

doh! powerline network went down. my wireless works and i’m posting this right now, but the powerline units aren’t delivering. 3 months of perfect service with heavy use and now i get “limited or no connectivity” and !!! (out of 5) Quality. the utility says i got a rate of 11-25Mbps but normally i get 70-100+. nothing new has happened aside from a new dryer, but that’s been there for a two weeks. tried resets, plugging/unplugging. can’t tell what’s wrong. going to try reset and switching a few around.

edit
found the reason: the instructions said to hold button down for <3 seconds, so i just tapped them. what i needed to do was hold the button down until the light blinked, ~1-2 seconds.

Mine doesn’t work when the treadmill’s on. They must be on the same circuit.

Guess I’ll have to wire in a router. There’s already a CAT5 line running across the basement; I can cut that in two and recrimp it, with my old wireless router in between.

It sounds like you are describing a GFCI. They are designed to trip if the current going out does not exactly match the current going in (like, for example, if you were being electrocuted). I’ve seen them act flaky. I had a circuit at my house that was GFCI protected and had a bunch of fluorescent lights on it. It would trip periodically, for no apparent reason.

Yes, that’s exactly what it is, thanks for pointing out the name of it. If it was my own place, I’d probably replace it with a normal set of plugs so I could use it without issues.

Thanks everyone for recommending this. I had heard about it before, but always assumed that it was a gimmick and would suck. I got the NETGEAR Powerline AV 200 Wireless-N Extender Kit XAVNB2001 to get network/wireless into my living room. It is pretty awesome. Setup was easy, and the wired connection works great. I fiddled around with the wireless a little bit, using my phone to determine signal strength. It looks like it might not have a great range, but it still has to be better than the signal I get off of my main access point, considering that there is a 6-foot-thick brick chimney in between in and the living room.

back in stock. 303 left.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=6999

buy. consume. de-savingsify. inflate the economy dammit.

They doubled the price. Boo. That’s not much cheaper than name brand.

damn, sorry, didn’t notice that.

Yeah, I was going to take the plunge so I set up an email notification after the initial round went out of stock. Got the email a day or so ago and noticed they upped the price. Maybe there were a lot of people on the notification list so they jacked up the price.

so, er, I think I need help with this.

I bought 4 Netgear AV500 adapters, meaning I should get 500 Mbps. Instead, the utility tells me I have 22 Rx and 7 Tx. There’s GOT to be something horribly wrong here, but I have no idea what. I mean, that’s serious degradation for two power sockets that aren’t even that far from each other.

Any ideas on what I can try? Note, this is the speed reported by the powerline utility between the two Netgear adapters, not the speed as measured on my desktop.