Powers Boothe RIP

Forget all that…this might be a hoax. I seriously hate the internet.

EDIT: Seems to be confirmed now:

Man we need an obituary forum.

Well, whether he is or is not dead, I’d like to take this moment to appreciate the work he did on “Deadwood”.
And many other films I’ve seen, too numerous to mention. Always enjoyed him.

I’m sure seeing a lot of reports of his death.

Yeah, that’s why I was bummed about it…I just finished watching Deadwood for the first time last month, and he was one of the best parts of that show. And, of course, Tombstone. And a movie I have an inexplicable fondness for: U Turn.

I also came way late to that series. I binge watched it 3 years ago, and it blew me away. Seriously awesome.

I always think of him as the downed pilot in Red Dawn. RIP Powers - what a great full name for an actor too.

Oh man… this sucks. Loved his performance in Tombstone.

Oh, looking through his IMDB, totally forgot he played Phillip Marlowe in a series on HBO back in the 80s. Pretty sure I saw all of those at one time or another. Not sure if they’re available legally, but someone’s put them all up on Youtube…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUVQ_YtJ8OM

Is it super weird that I recall him in a movie with Brandon Lee that I liked even with the cheese? I can’t even remember the title, but it had some great action and it’s probably a credit to him that the only two memorable parts were his and Brandon’s.

Someone will Google it for me, but that’s cheating.

RIP. Clancy Brown as Luthor with him as Grodd on Justice League Unlimited was superbrainy supervillain voice acting heaven!

Oh man, thanks for reminding me. I was in my early 20’s then (1983), in my first apartment (one furnished room with its own bathroom for $80/month), and was deep into reading all of Ross Macdonald’s detective novels. I had just purchased my first 20" color TV ($400) and my first VCR (also $400 with wired remote), and my first time with a paid movie channel ($10/month from HBO). I was living the dream.

Then this show came on HBO. I didn’t think that Powers Boothe did a great job in actually capturing Marlowe’s character as it was originally written, but I loved him in the role anyway, as he brought his own charm and plenty of attitude to the part. Good times. I believe I still have a few of those episodes in my library of VHS tapes from back then. I would tape a ton of movies from HBO and store them away. Also the early music videos.
Apologies for all of the excessive personal detail.

Rapid Fire.
And I didn’t really cheat. I just asked my girlfriend, who somehow instantly knew the answer. She wears the movie pants in this house.

I remember it took me a while to recognize him as Curly Bill in Tombstone when I first saw it. Aside from that, my primary memories of him were in Southern Comfort and Extreme Prejudice, both solid films from the 80’s. Oh yeah, Emerald Forest also.

Oh yeah, that’s what it was. Just weird that out of all the things he’s been in that was the first one that popped in my head when I opened the thread.

I watched a couple of episodes of it last night. Powers is great in the role. He’s so good at the snappy wisecrack. Some of the other actors, though, are pretty ropy. There’s way too much hamming it up.

The best part of the whole series is the sets and locations they film in. They did an excellent job of getting period details to feel right.

All in all, it’s definitely worth a rewatch.

Loved him in Frailty and of course, the Jim Jones Story way back and Deadwood. He was one those actors who could captivate without saying a word.

“Natural causes”?

It is clearly dangerous to your real life health to be a villain on Agents of Shield…