Preacher Miniseries - HBO

Agree, but don’t think that would be any different on HBO. It would have a much bigger budget and likely better cast though

So this was ordered to series by AMC this week. Also, apparently Dominic Cooper will star as Jessie Custer. Promising news, I think.

Oh yeah, they cast a few people a while ago and they’re already shooting the pilot (or maybe had finished that up?). They also added a character, so who knows how close they’re sticking to the comic.

So there’s a trailer for this up at IMDB. they have Ruth Negga playing Tulip. While in terms of appearance she’s pretty different from Tulip, I think she will otherwise be a great fit for the character (she can do everything about Tulip personality-wise in her sleep, I think).

OTOH, the trailer suggests that the series is going to be somewhat different than the comic (at least). Also, Cassidy’s accent didn’t sound good to me, but maybe I’m just not awake yet.

Is this on HBO? I assumed it was on AMC when I saw the trailer, but I didn’t maybe pay attention to the final couple seconds and missed that.

EDIT - Oh, wait, this thread was started in 2006. Might want to make a new thread or edit the title maybe?

Trailer

As someone who’s completely unfamiliar with the source material, I gotta say that trailer does nothing for me. All I get out of it is that there’s a preacher who’s unconventional! Oh yeah, he’ll beat people up too, so cue the ultraviolence.

It doesn’t hit on the things I like about the source material either!

As someone who’s read the source material a few times, the trailer looks terrible. No idea who they were trying to reach with this.

I’m only now reading through the material and about…maybe 1/4 of the way through it and this feels nothing like what I’m reading. They are using the phrase “based on” very loosely here. I was actually wondering how they would do this as a tv show because it’s pretty ‘rough’ and violent…looks like they aren’t even going to try.

Yeah… uhh… nothing in that trailer was anything at all like the books. Though, the trailer was super vague.

This was me as well.

I would highly recommend that the source material be read. It is quite excellent.

I dunno if Preacher can ever be quite as excellent as it is when you’re an angry teenager / young adult, but it’s probably still worth a read.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s aged very well. Much of what it did that was novel at the time is now predictable and rote, and a bit embarrassing because of how trite it’s become.

That said, it’s certainly worth a read, and I’m disappointed that the trailer seemed so divorced from the subject matter - I presume it’ll actually be a pretty faithful adaptation, so that trailer is just weird and makes me feel like AMC or someone is embarrassed to show what it’ll really be like.

That’s what I am hoping. Beating up some kid’s abusive father is the most Jessie Custer thing ever (well, beating up anyone is the most Jessie Custer thing ever), so it doesn’t immediately bother me that it’s not from the series. OTOH. . .

Lucy Griffiths as Emily Woodrow: A character described as a “no-nonsense” single mother, waitress, church organist, bookkeeper and Custer’s loyal right hand.

Wat. Jessie Custer has no right hand. He just has Tulip & Cassidy.

Elizabeth Perkins as Vyla Quinncannon: A genteel but formidable businesswoman who owns the local slaughterhouse in Annville, and shares a past with Jesse’s father.[9]

So, I can totally get behind tossing or heavily re-writing Odin Quincannon, because he’s weird and ultimately uninteresting and the one good joke from all of it (the Klansman who complains Odin is too racist) isn’t that good. Not sure about giving this person a relationship with Jessie’s father. I rather liked how contained that was. I don’t want the Superman scenario where it turns out Kal’s parents are the only people who didn’t survive Krypton’s explosion/everybody knows Jessie’s dad better than Jessie.

I wonder how much the Grail will be changed. Probably a good deal.

I guess they plan on doing that stuff in later seasons then? The Quincannon stuff was kind of a break in the main story pretty late, if I remember correctly. Could do that whole plotline first, I guess.

The stuff with the Saint of Killers is what I remember most fondly from that series.

I’m starting to wonder if he’ll be written out, lol.

Let’s be honest…I don’t think many of us see this particular show making it into the ‘seasons’ stage.

Here’s a makeup test for Arseface from the movie that never happened.

Nobody wants to see this each time they open this thread

The Quincannon stuff felt like a break in the story because that’s exactly what it was. Seems like the pacing is fucked anyway if they’re focusing on the congregation, but it’s hard to tell any of that from the trailer, but…

Some thoughts on Jesse

His characterization in the trailer seems way out of whack with him in the comic. If he was going to beat the shit out of the kid’s dad, he would do it right there, not find him in the bar that night. He also wouldn’t be a vicious asshole and break the guy’s arm after the guy was already beaten.