Preacher Miniseries - HBO

I could see Jesse breaking the arm of some awful family member that is abusive (given his past).

I think the trailer is intentionally vague because they don’t want to unveil too much.

Then again, I could be totally wrong. In other news, apparently the TPBs of Preacher sold out super fast on Amazon after the trailer came out.

— Alan

Nah, that reminds me of a specific scene that Jesse probably wouldn’t want to repeat.

Spoilers for issue 10, plus violence and some harsh language

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Preacher in name only, unless he gets his powers in later episodes, which is contrary to the comics.

First episode is out. Some enormous changes from the comic, but I quite enjoyed it nonetheless.

Maybe like three things happen the way they did in the comics? But the characters are pretty spot on.

I saw the first episode of this - Ive never seen the comics, nor heard about them, but hated the figting and violence in this show - Way over the top, too graphic and too poor looking as well. The combat was clearly sped up in many places. I turned it off after about 30 minutes.

A shame, because I liked the lead guy, the priest, and his flock , and the interactions he had with them.

I liked the comic 20 years ago, but like a lot of Ennis’s stuff, it hasn’t aged well. That said, I still prefer the comic to the pilot, which was pretty confusing and otherwise muddled, and I’m not really a fan of the casting of any of the 3 leads. It’s a very hard story to adapt, so I don’t think AMC made a bad decision in being liberal with changes - but I hope they don’t change the core storyline and make “genesis” an alien force rather than a supernatural one. I could understand why deleting angels, etc., might (still) be somewhat controversial (although maybe not, given treatment in shows like Supernatural) - in any event, it’s content that’s core and necessary to the story, imo.

But even assuming they don’t change that stuff, I just wasn’t really entertained by the pilot - I would have preferred a little more grounding before introducing less grounded elements, and turning Preacher and Tulip into essentially superheroes (even prior to the “event”) was unnecessary and diminished my interest in them substantially - it reminded me of Agents of SHIELD more than what I was expecting from a Preacher show. I’m going to pass on this show for now and catch up later if it’s well regarded at the end of the season.

The violence didn’t bother me that much but after half and hour of disjointed scenes that only left me going WTF???, I had to turn it off. I may go back tomorrow night to see if it redeems itself.

Never read the comics, but enjoyed the pilot. There’s allot to unkown still but thats what all the other episodes are for. I completely disagree on the casting. Dominic Cooper is just a great actor. Cassidy and Tullip had terrific introductions. I’m fine with a show that doesn’t lay everything out. This isn’t some simple brain dead procedural on CBS. Maybe it doesn’t pay off but it will remain on my schedule for now.

This is where I am; I really enjoyed it. I’m not sure what tgb123 means by disjointed scenes? You mean when they would cut around to different events? That seems pretty normal for some styles of story telling and it didn’t bother me here. They made it clear with those huge letters when it was a new location, which seemed to work okay for me. I’m really interested in seeing more - I never read the comics though.

The tone of the whole thing seemed odd. Tulip’s introduction was like one of those live-action shows on the Disney channel.

What shows feature stuff like people getting ear’s bitten off and metal toy solder’s embedded into their skull on Disney?

I tuned into HBO, I couldn’t find it, I guess I missed the premiere.

:)

It was in the short-lived Kim Possible MAX, also by Ennis.

It takes a big man to admit when he’s wrong and I’m nothing if not a big man. The second hour was a lot more enjoyable than the first 30 minutes. I can’t say I’m hooked, but I’m intrigued enough to come back.

yeah, not sure why people fear creating a new thread when it’s actually warranted.

Turns out this is an Amazon show in the UK. Which is nice.

AMC has put the first episode up on youtube: here it is.

That kind of storytelling doesn’t necessarily bother me either. But the pilot did feel disjointed and confusing.

Without any context, jumping from one location and character to another just made the whole thing feel pretty impenetrable.

A few things kind of come into focus by the end of the episode, but this wasn’t the clearest introduction to characters and a world I knew nothing about beforehand.

Still, I’ll probably keep watching on Amazon for at least a few episodes.

Wendelius