Preacher Miniseries - HBO

Is this not a weekly show? I assumed I’d have a new one on the DVR by now, did my DVR not record something? Or is the second episode not aired yet?

I think it will be weekly but there was no episode this week.

The first episode is out on the 6th of June, at least on Amazon Prime in UK.

Wendelius

That’s what I was trying to say. Thanks for saying it more gooder.

Took a break for Memorial Day weekend.

For those of you expecting Preacher to be a bit more clear after episode 1 ( which is actually ep 2, apparently the pilot is considered episode 0 ) Yeah, not so much. Its pretty much the same as the pilot, very disjointed and a bit confusing. Strange things happen with no explanation. Slow burn is an understatement. Thats not to say I am not enjoying the show, I am but the style is a bit different. Cassidy is definitely interesting. Whenever he is on the screen youre either getting philosophical or getting extremely bloody. And Tulip is just a bundle of batshit crazy fun. I do think they need to throw us a few clues as to whats going on with Preacher though. I get that they kind of want us to learn as Preacher does but theres so much crazy stuff going on that revolves around what is happening to him, that it is just a bit too much confusion for the average viewer. Although I will admit, it sure doesnt seem like the average viewer is exactly the demographic they are aiming at.

We just gave it another shot. The fight scene in the church was great. I think I’ll stick with it a bit longer, although Mrs. tgb is out.

Anyone else picking up a distinct Coen Bros vibe? Some of the scenes gave me that feeling, especially in the way they were framed.

I don’t think it’s particularly disjointed or confusing. The thing is, there’s very little exposition and they seem to be assuming people have read the comic, which is maybe not the smartest approach to take. So if you haven’t, I’m sure stuff like the cold open in this episode and Jackie Earle Haley’s scene seem like weird non-sequiturs. Whereas to someone who has, the precise timing of their introductions seems a bit odd but you would recognize both of those as introducing major characters from the comic.

As I said

it is just a bit too much confusion for the average viewer. Although I will admit, it sure doesnt seem like the average viewer is exactly the demographic they are aiming at.
I havent read the comics myself and to be honest, expecting the majority of their viewership to have done so would make the series such a niche product that its hard to imagine anyone signing off on making the series. Im fine with the series so far but many of my friends have already dropped it because they find it to be a confusing muddled mess. That does not bode well for its continued success.

Well, they DID mention The Big Lebowski more than once in episode 2.

I like how little exposition there is, as that really can blow up pacing in a comic book series. This show is really light on it. The comics were as well though, you didn’t really know Jesse’s past right away, or Cassidy’s past. It was a bit weird that they didn’t mention how Arseface came to be. My girlfriend (who hasn’t read the comics) was really confused about that. I just assumed they would have explained it.

I watched the pilot, and I thought it was awesome. The main 3 cast members are spot on perfect casting, the tone of the show was that excellent mix of dark humor and violent action. I loved it, and I am really excited to see where they go with it all.

The stuff with Tulip was excellent directing work. Having the kids help build a bazooka, and then having the action happen offscreen, with the kids reaction was not only cost-saving, but an ultimately more fun and interesting use of the medium of film. We have all seen helicopters blown up, but it was a lot more fun to see some kids hiding in a cellar reacting to it with an odd sense of childish wonder.

I think this show is in good hands.

If by “Arseface” you mean the kid with the deformed mouth, they definitely did explain it (I had pretty much guessed it anyway).

That’s the one. And yeah, it was a brief moment versus the substantial (and pretty heartbreaking) flashback in the comic, but it’s explained.

The only reason I’m going to keep watching this is because of Ruth Negga. She’s great. I wish the show was just about her. Everyone else seems about as lost as I am.

Which isn’t too surprising, considering this is from the masterminds behind Green Hornet… :)

-Tom

I’m following it just fine, as far as I know. I assume stuff like what’s going on with the Preacher (Word of God?) is supposed to reveal slowly over time. They did answer the question of what’s wrong with that kids face in the second episode, that was the biggest puzzle I couldn’t figure out. Other stuff like “who are those two guys that keep showing up?” and the like I assume are supposed to be unknowns that reveal over time. I’ve never read the comics, but I’m really enjoying the show.

In fact, last week I thought about picking up some Preacher books to read but I decided not to, so as to not know what’s going on!

Yeah, it is kind of baffling how much they are leaving unsaid and unexplained, seems to not have negatively effected audience turnout though. Over 2 million watched episode 2, without much of a dropoff. As someone who has read through the entire graphic novels series, I recommend them, and I know that the show probably can’t do what the books did 100%. But shit is going to get bananas.

Ruth Negga is a treasure though, holy cow.

Also, Scott, the books and show look to be wildly different in a lot of ways at first, but I guess we will see if they reveal that stuff later on.

Not to spoil anything I am basically dying for the “Saint of __” to show up. One of my favorite fictional characters ever.

Pretty sure he already has, if not in that capacity yet.

You guys are making me like this show even MORE, somehow. So exciting!

Have yet to see episode 2. Now, I am even more excited.

I’m working my way through the comics right now as well as watching the show. I have to force myself to go to bed rather than staying up reading “one more issue”.

The show is a different take so far but the major elements are there. I can’t wait to see how they reveal some of the bigger comic plot points.