Preacher Miniseries - HBO

Really enjoyed the first season, looking forward to the second

HE IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY SHUT YOUR PIEHOLE.

No seriously, I love that character.

Honestly I liked this show better than the base material, and that just about never happens. Maybe I need to reread the comics, but I wasn’t all that taken with them the first time through. [quote=“abidingdude, post:101, topic:31280, full:true”]
Really enjoyed the first season, looking forward to the second
[/quote]
Wait, is this irony?

Ha! Took me a while to figure this comment out. Cassidy’s rants on “The Big Lebowski” were some of the best scenes this season.

I loved the comics, back in the 90s. I think they’d probably turn out to have some problematic aspects in the light of 2016, and Garth Ennis seems to have this core of misanthropy in all of his writing. It bugs me way more in some of his stuff than others (Preacher, Punisher and Hellblazer all come off pretty well - The Boys gets a bit more out there but is still fundamentally solid; a few other things I did not care for at all). But I feel like in addition to being gorgeously shot and edited and very well acted, the writing in the show has gone to a lot of trouble to expand on and humanize the smaller roles, whether introduced for the show (Donnie, Emily, etc) or present in the comics but in other contexts and with a lot less depth (Sheriff Root, Fiore and Deblanc, Quincannon, arguably Arseface although I don’t like their spin on his origin - granted, no teenager would be nearly invested enough in Kurt Cobain to try to emulate the man these days).

He doesnt get mentioned a lot because theres so much more going on in this show but Jackie Earl Haley was fantastic as Quincannon. Ive never read the graphic novels but as far as the TV show goes, he killed it. So many fantastic characters in this, even the peripheral character had some great moments. Loved the scene with “God”, it was so Terry Gilliam like. The only real disappointment I have is that it will be next year before we get anymore. Oh and Cassidy rocks! Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong! Got to love it when the vampire is the moral compass for the show.

Just finished watching this. Agree with all the positive points so won’t repeat them.

Yes! I was thinking today that he was the most humane and likable character there. I’d watch a show about him.

A question for people who may know more about the source material, is the cowboy guy capable of perma-killing angles?

Absolutely. He’s the Saint of Killers.

First thing he killed was the devil, so yes he is.

I really enjoyed the first season. It’s such an eclectic shows that understood that taking the subject matter seriously would be suicide.

Another of those that I feel was better because of binge watching. We DVR’d the first 9 episodes and then watched them the Friday and Saturday before the finale. If I had to wait a week after some of the weirder episodes, I’m not sure I would’ve stuck with it all the way. Even binge watching, I was mostly just bewildered most of the time, which turned out to be a good thing.

Hoping there is a second season. If Into The Wasteland can manage a second season, I have high hopes for Preacher.

Im pretty its already been renewed for a second season. Yes, it has and its for a 13 episode season

I take back that early comment about Cassidy. He’s awesome. :)

Dang, the singer’s last moment in the old west… Zowie. And what a great representation of what Hell could be.

Not a perfect series, but I’m anxious to see how S2 turns out.

Steve Dillon, the artist and co-creator of the comic The Preacher, apparently died over the weekend in NYC from a burst appendix.

What a fantastic, absurdist fantasy. Almost zero exposition and the very slow reveal of what is going on makes this series baffling to begin with, but very satisfying in the long run. Loved it. Curious to see where this goes, but it will be hard to top this 10 episode story.

Season two starts Sunday! Looking forward to more Tulip time!

First episode is out there and I am still madly in love with this show.

Also, jesus, that has to be the worst possible way to siphon gas.

You think?

Man, this show is fun. If the comics is as fun as this show I might have to read it too. I started watching like two weeks ago and I am already 2 episodes away from the ending :(
Every scene with Herr Starr is pure gold. Such deliciously fun performance. Saint of Killers is also incredible with that ultracharismatic presence of his and the sound design that accompanies him. And I like the main trio a ton as well. Cassidy of course being the standout…love Gilgun since Misfits.

Also, great song to end one of the early season 4 episodes, love it

Btw something weird I realized after a while, are there any F-bombs in this show? It feels like there are none which is weird given how brutally hard R violent the show is.

The first season was really great. The second season started off good, but now it’s a slog. The constant in-fighting between the main 3 characters is getting really old and feels like filler at this point. Does it get better wrapping up Season 2 going into Season 3? I’d enjoy the series a lot more with some peace and respect between the 3 leads. I guess in light of the bitter conflict in America today, I don’t like seeing it in my tv shows as much.

Wouldn’t really be Preacher if it had that. I mean, it’s barely Preacher as it is. I gave up halfway through season 2.

Seeing Graham McTavish on The Witcher this season and Pip Torrens on The Nevers made me a bit nostalgic for Preacher. What an amazing show. Just ludicrously wacky and violent and irreverent from start to finish. It didn’t always work, but worked more often than not. It mined its source material and then left it on the side of the road in all the right ways. One of my favorite guilty pleasure serieses.