Prebuilt config check

$1,950:

• CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i5-11600KF 6/12 3.90GHz [Turbo 4.9GHz] 12MB Cache LGA1200 [w/o Integrated Graphic] [-610]
  • HDD: 1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 2400/1950 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 410/405k (Single Drive)
  • MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE Z590 UD AC ATX, ARGB, 802.11ac, 2.5GbE LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 5 SATA3, 3x M.2 SATA/PCIe
  • VIDEO: [Extra 4 Weeks Lead Time] GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X (Ampere) [VR Ready] [+211] (Single Card)

If the 3080 is still stupid hot in two months when this ships, it will be worth more than the entire config.

Unfortunately, this computer will not function at all for one very obvious, terrifying, and–most importantly–real and true and existing reason, one which I won’t put in this post to make you worry and fret, but that you should trust me about the existence of.

Case? Memory? PSU? Also, slightly worried by the lack of brand on the 3080, but I suppose you can always flip it if it sucks.

It’s a CyberPower, case is 3x120mm fans, 8GB of 3200 memory, nice cooler but not liquid. The lack of OEM designation on the GPU does give me pause, though.

As noted, PSU is going to be important to double check on anything with a 3080 on up. It’s not a bad price, given the market conditions and assuming solid surrounding components.

Making some guesses:
$250 for the CPU
$110 for the SSD
$210 for the motherboard
$750++ (assuming AIB) for the GPU
$50-$75 for the RAM
$50-$75 for the case
$75-$125 for the PSU
$50 for a good cooler

So $1545-$1645 plus any GPU overhead, and you’re paying $300-$400 to avoid the headaches of putting it all together and procuring the 3080 (plus an OEM Windows 10 key). Yeah, I’d certainly do that in this day & age.

I’m sure you know you’ll want to get a 16GB RAM kit sooner than later, but at least this should get you up and running.

I’ve been looking heavy into prebuilt machines the past couple weeks as I’m in desperate need for an upgrade. It seems like the Cyperpower pc’s are ok, but from what I gather they do tend to run hot. Seems like many people end up upgrading fans or cases to keep the CPU temps down.

As far as the video card not being called out, that seems to be pretty common practice among pre-builts as they are going to use whatever card they can get ahold of at the time. You can usually search around a bit though and see what other people have been receiving in their builds.

I would recommend getting at least 16gigs, 8 just isn’t enough anymore.

That’s minimal ventilation for that equipment, imo. Have you identified what the actual case model is? Perhaps additional fans could be installed.

This is a good point

edit - I run my 3080 in a Lian Li O11 XL and it barely warms up even under duress, but I… have 9 fans blowing, including a pair of intakes directly below it.

Cyberpower let you customise the cases, though maybe not for this deal. I would definitely look at the models available and find one with decent airflow and other features you want. Having a decent case makes tinkering so much easier.

And, yes, definitely get at least 16GB, though obviously that’s an easy aftermarket upgrade.

+1, like, etc

It’s very customizable re: case and cooling, I just don’t know what would be appropriate.

Plus many more.

You’re spending two thousand dollars, if you have questions call them and ask.

I’d look at some case reviews for available models that you like the look of. Personally, I much prefer larger fans (e.g. 140mm) because they can move more air with less noise. You might also look at which cases have intake filters, if that is something that concerns you.

To me, this is an area where you can spend a little extra for a big overall impact.

Agree, get a high airflow case (mesh front) with 140mm fans.

Having bought a CyberPower last year (and had to spend $200 more into it to fix the cooling on their stock config), just be sure to specify all of the components, because their low-priced power supplies suck, and their custom cases run pretty hot.

From my Core i9/3080 build last year, I’d suggest:

• Opt for a Corsair, Enermax, or Thermaltake power supply. The “standard” power supply CyberPowerPC uses is super-cheap and I’m surprised I haven’t had to replace it yet.

• The stock CPU cooling they offer for that model is their single-fan 120mm liquid cooler. DO NOT BUY THIS. I have one in a box in my garage. It’s horrible and your CPU will end up throttling at load. Mine was idling near 80C and hitting 90C+ at load. I replaced it with an air cooler that’s dramatically better. Personally I would go for the Phanteks PH-TC12DX or ENERMAX ETS-T50 air coolers and forego the liquid. If you must have liquid, get one with at least two (“240mm”) fans, not one of the single-fan jobs, as those aren’t sufficient for these CPUs.

• Get six fans. Note that mine was wired into a fan controller that used the reset button instead of being connected to the motherboard’s PWM speed control headers, so I’d avoid one with a controller since the motherboard can do it and maybe CyberPowerPC will wire them better that way. Phanteks are quiet and reliable, and they offer a six-fan set for an additional $39. (140mm is also an option, as others mentioned, but I prefer the 6 120mm option.)

• If you plan to upgrade stuff later, add drives, etc, I’d suggest a Corsair or Lian LI case, and I’d go for one of the “360mm liquid cooling support” versions for maximum flexibility if you upgrade CPUs down the road.

If I was buying an i5/3080 system from them today, this is config I would opt for:
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1PEA15

Yeah, I’ve had a couple Cyberpower rigs in the past, and I’ve been mostly happy with them, save for the cost, but I’ve always specified every single part, and been pretty particular about it too.

Thanks for that effort, that’s the stuff I have no idea about these days. I’m much more about quiet than I am about wringing out percentages.

Then you definitely want good airflow (Case and fans), a quality Cpu cooler (e.g. noctua) and imo, a strong power supply.

Yep. And if quiet is a key, I’d definitely research the cases available and consider 140mm fans – the suggestion I made was based on trying not to increase your cost much! :)

$3000 but apparently in stock, delivery within one day. And you aren’t just paying for the 3080, the rest of the system is highly specced.

https://www.costco.com/msi-aegis-rs-gaming-desktop---10th-gen-intel-core-i9-10900k---geforce-rtx-3080.product.100719183.html

10th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-10900K Processor
64GB DDR4 2933MHz 4-DIMM
Drives:
2TB 7200 HDD + 2TB NVMe™ M.2 Solid State Drive
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080, 10GB