Precursors: Derek Smart is going to be mad

I played this on my old PC way back when there was only one patch, and I didn’t have the 0-5 FPS problem.
Maybe there were spikes, I can’t remember, but I do remember doing a ton of quests until I got off planet and to another planet via spaceship, also did some spaceship combat, and I can’t imagine I got that far if the game was hardly playable.

That said, I stopped playing soon after, but not because of techinical issues but because the game got extremely dull. I think I did almost everything that was to do on another planet and then didn’t see anywhere to go.
One of the factions hated me and would open fire on sight in space, which would lead to my untimely demise - and thus a reload.
After a while, I began to tire of this affair and shelved it (supposedly for a while) to play something else. Haven’t returned to the game since.

rezaf

Being in the buggy just slaughtered my FPS, and walking the desert isn’t really an option considering the I-can’t-believe-they’re-not-Deathclaws that instantly spawn out of thin air and absolutely destroy you.

And yeah, I have the fan patch. At least the one that was around a year ago. I have an ATI card though, which most of the game’s problems seemed linked to.

Ah, I guess that’s possible - I’ve been on NVidia for years now.

rezaf

So the only way to get this game is the SF one, or are there two versions, one in Russia and one for the rest of the world without this?

Do you need community patches to make it working (url?) or does the retail stuff handle all the issues?

I guess it is still a bit too early to grab the game, knowing how Boiling Point was, so is the game still being updated or have the developers moved onto new things?

As far as I know the developers no longer exist, much less support either Precursors or White Gold - that was part of why it took so long for those games to be made available in English-speaking territories. And the community patches are essential.

(Precursors was released in…2008? I think? And White Gold the year before that. They are not freshly released, they just were not sold outside of Russia until recently.)

Pretty sure the unofficial patch from a year ago did not have the ATI flicker fix included. I experienced no such issues when I installed a few months back. Ran find on my 4870.

Not only is the community patch essential, but so is restoring the original Russian audio. Beyond the Russian language, massive amounts of ambient noise was removed as well. Restoring it makes a huge difference to the game world. And you’ll pick up a little Russian.

Edit - For the URL, check my post on the last page, it links to the other thread here where I posted the steps I went through to deploy the patch and restore the audio. Read a few of the comments though - there was an issue with the first version of the 1.4 patch, so I used the 1.3. No idea what it is up to now. If you buy it from Beamdog, they have rolled the patch and restored audio into their own download patch.

Edit 2 - Bugger it, here is the link to the other thread. Think my post got lost amongst some ridiculous banter about Starforce… :)

Didn’t. That patch is incorporated into the Beamdog build.

Sounds like this has more in common with Derek Smart games than everyone realized. Namely, game killing bugs.

I miss DS. Used to argue with him about DRM and other stuff on the Avault forums in the (good) old days. Wonder what he’s up to now.

Isn’t he still in charge of that Allods MMO?

Alganon.

For reference:
Alganon is a generic humans, elves and orcs fantasy.

Allods has very imaginative visuals, magic necro-steampunk rusian mmo, based on some eyerolls-inducing story about ether-dimensions. High fantasy.

Bugger, sorry to hear that. You might like to try the actual fixes themselves manually. You can get them at Moddb, they basically just replace a couple of dll’s in the install directory or ‘postprocess’ folder.

There is also a fix there to remove the film grain effect, I can’t remember if that was an option in the Wespe patch (and hence Beamdog).

Wesp came out with a new patch, 1.5, over at the Patches Scrolls.

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/precursors.php

This game is on sale at half price over at Gamersgate right now. I don’t think I’ll bite for that price but if it goes on sale for less than $10 then I will pick it up. Assuming I get the game, what are the standard patching procedures? Update with Wesp’s 1.5 beta. Do I need to do something else to fix ATI flickering and change it back to Russian audio or will that take some extra tinkering?

Install the Russian sound pack, all 1+ GB worth.
Install WESP’s 1.5 patch.
INSTALL NOTHING ELSE.

That is all.

Well the game is $7.50 now. Looks like I’ll have to put my money where my mouth is.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-PREC/precursors

Do it! It’s very weird and fun, it feels like reading a translated golden age sci-fi novel. Be sure to play it on easy. And follow the directions of the post above yours!

I can’t seem to get an option to change to widescreen. My monitor is 1366x768.
Is there any way to change this?

Got the resolution figured out-it gave me the option when I restarted the game. Next question, is there any way to skip through the dialogue quickly after reading it? I don’t understand Russian and sometimes they talk forever!

Yes.

What, you were expecting me to tell you what the button is? Sorry, I don’t remember. But I know there was one.