Precursors: Derek Smart is going to be mad

I’m liking the game a lot so far. The first mission in the jungle was a bitch and I don’t like the mouselook but I love driving around in the wonderfully strange desert. The missions have been relatively interesting so far. I just have to remember to save and save often.

The key to skip through dialogue is Esc. Thank god for that.

Question about the buggy-if mine is destroyed, how do I go about getting a new one? Will it respawn for me where I originally got one? Should I just take one from the Raiders?
Also, the buggies seem to have a limited amount of ammunition-how do I replenish that?

Great game for $7.50

There’s a buggy mechanic station somewhere in the middle of the desert (where you can refuel and reload). Just steal buggies from others, I think the raiders have some lying around, yours will not respawn if destroyed. I’d try to beeline to getting your spaceship operational, because you can always come back and do the desert missions, and having a spaceship is awesome!

Just a heads up that there’s only a couple more days left to get this for $7.50
So far the game really seems like a diamond in the rough and totally worth it for that price. Only real problem that I have is that the game could probably run a little bit better than it does on my PC. Any good tweaks which would help out the frame rate? I notice that it looks like there’s some kind of filmgrain or something going on. Is there any way to turn that off? The in-game video options don’t seem very detailed.
Anyways it’s been a great game so far and I’m really enjoying the variety of different missions that the game throws at you. Oh and as I mentioned I love traveling around the desert world-it feels so much more alive than Fallout (yes I realize Fallout takes place in a nuclear apocalypse).

Film grain fix:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12436

RPG watch has good stuff for the Precursors. Grab unofficial patch 1.5 from there if it won’t break your save.

I believe the slowdown has to do with the fact that 1) the game is poorly optimized, but also 2) the game doesn’t unload cells you visit. So if you’ve been playing for a while, quit the game and restart.

Remind me again, this is a Russian-made FPS singleplayer?

Yes. And it’s wonderful, kind of in the same way that Space Rangers 2 was wonderful.
It does have its quirks though. In the space levels apparently to change between first person view and third person view is F10 and F11 (right between quick save and load F9 and F12 how stupid is that) but now that I’ve switched into third person view I can’t seem to switch back. Neither F10 nor F11 do anything.

LOL. Aight, I’ll give it a shot if possible.

bump

Unofficial patch 1.7 just came out this weekend. I’m back in it and reminded how much I like this game. It’s such a clunky, charming, ambitious piece of software.

edit: wow, just realized this thread was started in 2006! Seven years ago? Really? Damn.

Thanks for the update. Been meaning to return to this.

Mmm. Maybe I should find a copy of this game.

Sounds really great. $16 at Gamersgate right now. I haven’t checked for other options. Ebay?

GamersGate is where I got it, works great. It goes on sale often enough, so ya might as well wait.

Have a quick read of this thread from reply 151.

Not sure what the current state of the GG version is regarding the audio.

I should also point out that Beamdog is the other good option as they have rolled the missing Russian audio and previous unofficial patches into a single installer.

The beginning of this game is incredibly bad, but then it opens up a lot after first 20 minutes or so. Just have to persevere.

Thanks for the reminder. I’m in a gaming lull right now, and trying to beat my way back into Precursors with a new Wesp patch sounds like a mighty fine idea.

And just to put back in here to remind everyone:

Install the game.
Install the Russian sound pack, all 1+ GB worth.
Install WESP’s 1.7 patch.
INSTALL NOTHING ELSE.

That is all.

Beamdog is asking $20 right now. I’ll keep watch.

And thanks for the patch reminder!

It pops up on Gamersgate sales once in a while, too.
You can set up “price drop” alarms on Gamersgate and they will inform you via email if your game goes down.

And…done. :)

I’ll post here if/when I get an alert.

It sure is a shame that this thing doesn’t register on Steam.

Gamersgate has this for $9.95.
Nuuvem (weird brazilian game store, paypal and “brazilian” address required) has it for $8.48.