Precursors: Derek Smart is going to be mad

I just wanted to remind everyone how awesome this game is and how they should buy it, now that I’m about 12+ hours in. There is simply nothing like it out there. Well, there’s Parkan II, which is very similar in design and scope, but Parkan II is repetitive and ugly and sucks, while the Precursors is awesome.

Where are the patches again? Been meaning to revisit this.

Gah, totally forgot that I bought this sometime last year.

Wesp’s Precursors Patch (up to 1.8 as of this writing) : http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/3211/60987
Russian Sound Files: For GamersGate users, they are on the right hand panel of the product page once you purchase the game. Two files, total 1.5 GB.

You really need to play this one, Brian. Barrel through one of the worst intro levels ever, and the game just overwhelms with options.

Yessir, thank you!

Welp, got it running, spent forever getting through the stupid FPS shit so they’d finally gave me a ship, and WOW, the space stuff is pretty great. Now I’m excited!

Are you referring to the simulation only or the lead up to getting the ship?

I got it running, too, with little fuss. It was easier than I thought it would be.

One has to do a buncha FPS grindy shit before their ship is fixed and can finally do some space stuff. THEN the game begins to get interesting.

Is this a space sim at its core then, aside from that bad FPS intro?

I forgot I had purchased this from Beamdog a while back. I fired it up and loaded the enhancement pack and ran the patch. Unfortunately, after I exit the log over the acid pool in the intro level, the game turns into a slide show. Not sure why, but I’m assuming it’s a driver issue. My system is more than beefy enough to run this with all the bells and whistles.

Oddly enough, it stutters for me too at odd intervals. Only game I’ve played on my newer rig that stutters at ALL except for Star Citizen. :/

Rock8man, it’s seems to be a Freelancer-esque space combat game where you can land on planets, and there seem to be both planetary and space missions as well. Really excited to dive into this.

No. It’s mostly bad FPS, but a really expansive, surprising, and inventive one. Definitely recommended.

Oh, so there’s more FPS than space stuff? :(

Correct. But all the planets are in space.

Sigh.

Doesn’t the space part suck, though?

LOL

I was just talking about the simulation. I actually don’t mind the ground combat all that much. It gets better once you understand that your PC is very fragile. It gets MUCH better once you collect a sniper rifle and level up a little bit.

Yeah, now that I’ve leveled up a bit I don’t mind the FPS stuff as much, and even on the starting planet there’s plenty to do, I’ve got like five quests going right now, a lot involving driving a buggy around, which I also really enjoy.

The FPS part gets much better, and no, it’s not “mostly FPS”. Once you start running the Gli missions, you’ll do a couple of FPS missions, then a space mission, then groundside again, etc.

If one has only played the intro simulation mission and then maybe a bit of the Goldin FPS missions, then they can’t be blamed for thinking the FPS sucks. It branches out a lot from there. There’s also a sense of progress and planning in the world creation – enemies will get tougher as you progress, new enemies will be introduced on the same planets, etc. It’s not perfect, but it’s better than a lot of the ultra-repetitive Russian free world stuff. If only it had been brought to the Western world by a competent studio… :(

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.