Precursors: Derek Smart is going to be mad

If I recall, you just unzip from the first one, as it’s in two parts.

Arise thread!

So this was apparently Greenlit on Steam y’all.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=764361838

I wonder if, when it comes to steam, it will include all the various fixes and such.

Man, I hope so, it is more or less broken without the patches. One of them added missing audio in the English release, from memory.

Yeah, I was gonna install all that today and give it a revisit, but my GamersGate version crashed while downloading. Poooooooooooopies.

Damn. I bought Precursors and White Gold from Beamdog years ago. Both games show up in my account there, but apparently I am unable to download them?

Apparently they were de-listed there. But Beamdog doesn’t operate like Steam or GOG where you can still download them if you’ve previously bought them?

Sheeeeeeeeeeeit

Seems like mine’s on Gamersgate. Wonder if it runs on Win 10… 5GB download, those were the days.

This was like alternate Russian Mass Effect as I recall.

Let me know if yours downloads properly. Mine crapped out on two attempts.

Great description. Especially the “Russian”* part.

*wonky, buggy, oddly complex

Download was slow but fine. Seems to work fine under Win 10 too. Even managed the 3440 x 1440 resolution, if not necessarily the fov. I don’t think I’ll be playing back through but it seemed smoother than I remember in fact. I can’t remember how patched up my version was.

How is the writing/story in this game? A lot of Eastern European games are BAD in this department. I’m willing to put up with the cheesy graphics if the characters are likable.

I wouldn’t bother tbh. Though I think the graphics are actually fine, I recall the writing as suffering in translation and not featuring any character to speak of. RPS did do a review of this I think.

Well. It’s out. Not sure if it’s all fixed, but I hope to find out.

Was the Russian dialog with English subtitles excessively intrusive? Did it affect your enjoyment at all?

Bought it, ran it, saw it had Russian audio cutscenes with no subtitles, refunded it. It’s the same as the GamersGate copy pre-English patching. What a waste

Are you sure? I haven’t bought it so I can’t confirm, but the sole Steam review says it has English subtitles. (edit: the store page indicates English subtitles too)

It has subtitles once you’re in the game proper, but nothing for the cutscenes. Can confirm.

Ah, got it. Hm.

Certainly something to consider. Thanks, Brian.

Finally got this. Pretty impressive considering the size of the dev team.