Predator reboot to be written/direcred by Shane Black

To each their own, of course. Jeremy Jahns’ intro is loud. And he is animated when he speaks. But he is a decent reviewer with views on movies I find useful personally.

He’s also generally very careful about spoilers. You shouldn’t get more than you saw in the trailers in his review

That said, I like text too. It’s just sometimes nice to listen to someone speaking about a movie while you are busy doing something else.

This just clicked for me: an ex-child predator appearing in The Predator. Irony meter is going off the chart.

Having said that, IMO once he has served his time, he must be given a chance, otherwise we may as well lock up criminals forever. If he regreted his crime and is on the straight and narrow since his release, there is no reason not to hire him if he is a good enough actor. And he isn’t even working with kids, just Olivia Munn. Maybe Shane Black should have been more forthcoming with the cast, crew and the studio though.

Predator is a hot hot mess. The cast is surprisingly good together, though their characters have zero development and are completely disposable. I couldn’t tell you the names of any of the characters in the movie other than Boyd Holbrook’s “McKenna” and that’s only because the predator says it 3 times to help you remember.

Shane Black is on point with the dialogue and humor, but the story, tone, pacing and editing are all suffering from dissociative identity. Predator can’t decide if it wants to be a comedy, horror, action, or marvel movie. It is not a good movie. It’s not even a good Predator movie, but somehow I still had fun watching it. That said, can we please go back to making the predator scary, invisible, and leave the kids, dogs, and scientists out.

Ive seen it. I’m now looking forward to the PREDATOR: The Opsis.

Predator was a really bad movie. Is remembered because it was innovative, but it was shit.

This reboot/nostalgiaexplotation thing is going to be even worse. Like a 90’s sitcon.

Cut. It. Out.

Oh no you didn’t!

You’re hit, man! You’re bleeding.

Just got back from seeing it with the boy. It’s a rental if you’re bored, having nothing better to watch, and are in the mood for a mindless action film with Olivia Munn going from scientist to kick-ass warrior goddess in 2-3 seconds.

Trying to figure which of these opinions is the most wrong.

I think we should mix the Predator and Stargate universes. So that the different pyramids belong to different alien races and then they all show back up and once and Jagers and shit just gets real.

It goes without saying that Predator is amazing.

It’s very good; less than the original but this is not a slight (the original was first after all, and actually quite clever). There are many things about it I love though. The setup of the universe is amazing. The gangs are extraordinarily well armed and this is shown off in numerous early confrontations with police and each other.
Seriously, they’re better armed than both the teams Dillon sent after the original beast, and he wasn’t skimping on gear. The area of LA represented is practically a war zone. The police headquarters is surrounded by anti-vehicle thingies and other defensive structures and there’s this palpable feeling that the police are being pushed back by the superior firepower and ruthelessness of the gangs. It’s the perfect hunting zone for a Predator; dangerous but rife with high value targets. Harrigan’s team is excellently written and acted (Blades, Paxton, and 80s queen Maria Conchita Alonso). I love how collected and composed the veterans are and Paxton’s asshole newbie still fits in great.

And then Gary Busey shows up with a young Adam Baldwin in tow!

I watched a good bit of it recently and it holds up marvelously. I wish Robert Davi had been in it more.

@Teiman only likes Ingmar Bergman and early Orson Welles. He has a vision that the rest of us don’t share.

My wife and daughter love the first move (because it’s amazing, natch) and wanted to watch the second one before we see the new one tomorrow afternoon. So, I picked up a blu-ray copy for $7 on Amazon and yeah, it holds up damned well. My wife pointed out the movie is pretty cheesy, but I think that’s more the product of the era is was made in than the story or anything. I actually really like the characters and the overall plot, and of course every time the Predator shows up it’s a party.

Just finished watching it. I went in expecting garbage. I laughed a lot, the action was good, the quips quippy.

What did you all expect from Predator part 6? This was as good as it could be. 4 stars.

You mean part 4? AvP does not count in my book.

I was expecting total garbage based on the original trailer.

Our showing was canceled with a couple of hours notice for “technical reasons”, but I think the actual reason was that they’d only sold two tickets. That meant we had to downgrade to seeing it in 3d in another theater. So some additional bad signs there.

The movie itself is bizarre. The first half is basically back-to-back quips (and pretty good ones too). It’s like Marvel’s The Predator. Nothing at all like the grimdark trailer. And then the second half is just a sequence of the shoddiest action sequences you can imaginee. And holy mother forking shirt balls that ending…

But hey, The Predator (or Predator - Upgrade as it’s titled here) wasn’t the worst movie I’ve seen this year. Maybe even not bottom three. So expectations exceeded.

Oh, so you’ve seen the Meg? :P

I enjoyed The Meg more than The Predator. This film is godawful.

We disagree with the general consensus and thought it was a lot of fun and looked great to boot! Great popcorn flick, just like the previous entries. Some of the story beats I thought were very interesting…

The original Predator was a very good McTiernan directed action movie (whatever Teiman thinks) where hardened soldiers are fighting for their lives against a deadly invisible enemy.

It had one liners and memorable lines. But, at its heart, it was a greated hunter / hunted flick.

The new one sounds like it’s gone for non-stop quips and humour. A Predator that’s not nearly as intimidating. And soldiers who don’t care anyway.

It might be a fun popcorn movie. But do we need even Predator movies to be MCU-like humour fests?

What next? Same treatment for an Alien movie?

Of course, I haven’t seen it yet. So I concede that you are speaking with more knowledge about it than I do!

I might rent it when it comes out. But nothing I’ve heard in this thread or elsewhere is making this sound like a worthy Predator sequel. That’s a bit sad.