Predator reboot to be written/direcred by Shane Black

It’s the Predator movie an alien would make if the only thing it knows is 80’s movies.
So yeah it’s “80’s” in the sense that it has all the elements without actually understanding what made them work.

I agree, but I don’t think that’s what Teiman meant, is the thing.

Eighties movies are often ridiculous in certain ways, especially the dialogue but that doesn’t mean they are all bad.

When I see a plothole in a movie, I feel is a secret message between the director and me, where he insult my intelligence.

It’s 80’s in the action, especially the base assault at the start of the movie. I watched it recently and it felt like I was watching an episode of the A-Team, right down to explosions going off behind the bad guys and conveniently throwing them into the air and over the camera. It did get better after that, but the original movie has a lot more cheese than I remembered.

I remember the first time I was watching Predator, that was my reaction too. It seemed like a bad, cheesy action flick. And then the Predator shows up, and starts hunting the team, and it just felt so claustraphobic and I still didn’t like it. The jungle felt like a set, not like a real jungle, and the lines were so cheesy.

But then only Arnold is left and he falls in the water, and the whole movie becomes different. I loved the rest of the movie, and I loved the whole movie every time I rewatched it because I knew what was coming and what was being set up in the first half of the movie.

Ok, watched this in retail. Olivia Munn looks very much like a person I know in RL, so that is kind of weird. Other than that, it got a lot of Shane Blackism in it (i.e. witty banter). There is a climate change message in it so it is very progressive.

The whole Predator no, sports hunter mythology is not at all taken seriously. It is all pulp sci-fi at this point. This I don’t mind at all. btw Predators (2010) is underated IMO, it got a lot of the original vibe. This is more a Predator 2 vibe (set in urban area).

IMO definitely worth a rental.

If thou gaze long into a plothole, the plothole will also gaze into thee.

It’s funny that I see the movie in the opposite way. I love the beginning of the original when we’re introduced to the team and their whole complicated backstory is hinted at from time to time.

Dutch explaining to Dillon that the team has morals:
“Why’d you pass on Libya?”
“We’re a rescue team, not assassins.”

Pancho’s moment of hesitation in the jungle while Dutch calms him:
“Remember Afghanistan?”
“Trying to forget. Let’s go.”

Mac’s eulogy to Blain recalling a night in Vietnam where they were the only survivors out of their whole platoon:
“Real number ten night, remember?”

Love it! The point of the film when the team is lost and only Dutch remained, while still very cool, began to feel more like a typical Arnie action flick to me.

I thought it was Crap

Yeah, the original Predator is much more enjoyable prior to solo-Arnold. The Jagged Alliance 2 attack on the camp was one of the only 80s action scenes involving a solo/small group wiping out a much larger one that seemed remotely plausible. They were a fun crew. Well, other than Shane Black - killing him off was fine, but I wish the rest made it.

Has this been posted yet? Probably.

This is so not worth a rental. 99 cents lost to this stupidity. I did have to rewind to see how one of the main characters died because it was so fast and so stupid I just didn’t believe.

I’ve got a great idea too, let’s all become better hunters by injecting ourselves with tiger’s blood or something… oh wait, that’s some other dumbass movie also know as The Titan Netflix, sort of.

Wait, so you don’t find it funny, at all? I loled at all the Shane Black touches. Like the ragtag “group 2” dynamic. And Olivia Munn played it complelely straight at some comedy moments, like the sleeping beauty scene, and towards the predator dog.

All that Predator sci-fi crap (“sports hunter”) is just piss poor, but it was redeemed by the comedy IMO. That Santa holiday short basically “got” this movie completely. It is a sci-fi comedy!

I laughed my ass off at Jane’s “Fuck me in the face with an aardvaark” and Munn’s subsequent face. The first half of the movie was a decent Blackesque comedy, shame about the second half being a god damn terrible Predator movie attempt.

I watched this today on HBO. Not too bad. But not great either, unfortunately. I enjoyed some of it. I just wish they’d gotten some writers to touch some of the lines.

I liked the ideas behind it. The fact that they came up with a reason why the Predator took trophies, that they are upgrading themselves. I even liked the idea of Group 2 group of misfits taking down a predator. But man, the execution in all aspects was so sub-par.

McKenna: What are you?
Predator: What are you?
McKenna: Shut the fuck up.

I disliked this quite a bit. I didn’t care for the story, the writing, or most of the acting. Easily the worst entry in the series.

I felt that the original reasoning behind the Predators taking trophies (they like to hunt and take trophies) was far better than the overly complex genetic engineering stuff.

I hate fan service shit in movies in general, and this was chock full of it. Hey how awesome would it be if someone said “Get to the chopper” in this movie too?? Lol! And maybe we can have someone make an inappropriate joke! Or actually let’s make a dozen of them and run the concept into the ground!

The original is just a perfect SciFi action movie. This was a carnival of stupidity.

I saw it on HBO too. It’s ok, some of the action is good. Much of the humor is forced and the bulk of this thing is forgettable.

But it has one thing going for it that all the others don’t: it doesn’t take itself too seriously.

Why do you feel a movie like Predator shouldn’t take itself seriously?

I don’t mind either way but I thought it was refreshing that a movie that had its share of goofiness was comfortable with itself.