Prepping for 3DS, best Nintendo DS games?

You will be able to transfer your DSiware games to your 3DS and buy DSiware games on the 3DS. Just not at launch, it’ll be a later update.

Advance Wars, the Mario & Luigi games and the Castlevania Games are probably my favourite DS titles.

Speaking of which, are there any other Metroidvania-style platformers out there? I’m in the mood to play another one.

OK, here’s my plan.
Launch Day on 3DS getting SS4, Lego StarWars 3 and maybe Pilotwings. Not much to get excited about.

Whenever they launch I will get Zelda 3D, Mario 3D, Metal Gear Solid and Kid Icarus 3D & maybe Dead or Alive.

I have for the DS already:
Mario Kart DS

Will pick up as soon as I can, pretty much in order of interest:
Metroid Prime Hunters
New Super Mario Brothers
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Scribblenauts
Zelda Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass

Will get if I find at a good price:
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Symphony of the Night, and Order of Ecclesia (in that order?)
Lego Star Wars Complete Saga
Any of the Henry Hatsworth, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton series
Space Invaders Extreme
Mario and Luigi Inside Bowser

Will get if I find clearance priced:
World Ends with you
Rocket Slime
Contra 4
M&M Heros
Elite Beat Agents
Meteos
Advanced Wars
Trauma Center

Passes on those recommended:
Peggle: Have on 3 systems
Final Fantasy: ABSOLUTELY cannot get into any of these Japanese RPGs
Kirby & Nintendogs: Seems too kiddy for me, am I off on that?
Clubhouse: Seems like I have card games well covered on the iPhone.

Anything I’ve missed that’s a ‘must have’ for the system? Are there any MGS games for the DS that I should find?

If you’re going to start adding rpgs:
-World ends with you
-devil survivor
-infinite space
-radiant historia

Are basically the best rpgs on DS.

Quick note: The second DS Castlevania game is Portrait of Ruin, not Symphony of the Night. You do have the order on them correct, though.

Other than that, there are no MGS games on the DS, and anything else I would personally classify as a “must-have” has either already been mentioned in the thread here or does not meet your criteria and isn’t worth mentioning.

FYI, the first Phoenix Wright is available on iPhone, and you could just get Space Invaders Infinity Gene as well.

If you’ve played Critter Crunch on your phone, then you have some idea of the main mechanic (and also the quality) of the M&M game.

Lots of great titles listed.

Metroid Prime Hunters is pretty awful - the controls were a pain and the game lacks most of the design quality and exploration of the console Metroid Prime games. Single player felt like a slight coat of paint slapped onto the (completely unnecessary) multiplayer.

I’m also getting a 3DS and wanted to pick up some old DS games on the cheap and I’m amazed at how expensive old games still are. Super Mario 64 DS a launch title still can’t be found for cheaper then $25. New Super Mario Bros, Super Scribblenauts, these games are pricey!

I’m hearing the 3DS doesn’t do a great job scaling up old DS games. They mention on Giant Bomb that it looks particularly bad with 2D backdrops like in Layton.

Kinda sucks. I wonder it renders the 3D in DS games at higher rez for the 3D parts, at least, like PC emulators do?

What, no Etrian Odyssey? Any of them, really, but especially 1 or 3.

I’d have included that in my list if “100 hour RPGs” had not been ruled out from the start. Even if it’s not a full hundred hours, the general sentiment rings true for the Etrian Odyssey series.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showpost.php?p=1817617&postcount=9