President Trump Optimism thread

If Ravi plays the inauguration using a Wii, it will be the single greatest thing in the history of inaugurations.

Oh lord.

Wait. Was 3 doors down singing all Star? Isn’t that a smash mouth song?

And it sounded… like… Really terrible, right? Like worse than you would expect. Which is bad.

And it sounded like the were only 100 people in the crowd.

That, sadly, didn’t actually happen.

Yet…

Damn, I couldn’t even finish watching that video. That shit is just too real, I can’t find it in me to laugh (just seethe with rage).

“Too soon”, I guess. :)

Still waiting for Trump’s tweet about how he had the largest inaugural concert in history. But I suppose it isn’t 3am yet.

Optimism : Trump actually sounds coherent. He’s speaking in full sentences, not getting distracted, not making things about himself and his past actions. It sounds like a real prepared speech, and he’s delivering it with conviction. Dare I say he’s looking and sounding fairly Presidential with this Inaugural Address?

Pessimism : Holy shit is his speech pretty much textbook Isolationism. It was also sprinkled very heavily with Populist themes and rhetoric. At a time when the country needs the hope of unification, he makes a few token references to such and then comes out swinging against government, including the four former Presidents sitting right there, and pretty much reiterates his desire to burn everything down and remake Washington in a fantasy populist image.

So my end impression is 50/50, I’m not a fan of the message, but I did find a small glimmer of optimism in the way it was delivered. I’d feared a rambling, incoherent and ridiculous stump from the pulpit. Now I’m not sure if I wouldn’t have preferred such.

I wouldn’t get too excited. He’s had moments of lucidity before. This will pass.

He’s reading a speech that someone else wrote. He’s done that before, at the RNC, etc.

He’s reading it from a teleprompter. Badly. You can always tell when he’s doing this, because his eyes totally lock onto the teleprompter. You’ll see them lock onto the 3 teleprompter screens as he turns back and forth, clearly staring at them and reading the words directly from the screen.

For all the shit he gave obama for using a teleprompter, he is incapable of even doing that.

Yes, it’s Bernie Sanders’ message, but with bonus xenophobia and racism. Also, disingenuous, because he totally intends for the rich folks to get richer. Bernie at least believed in the message, flawed though its logic may be.

Sources are claiming it is his own speech. Believe that or not. I do think if you are ever going to give a serious speech it is probably at your inauguration.

Just imagine what his first State of the Union speech will be like. :)

“My fellow Americans, the state of the Soviet Union is … uh, whoops, heh heh.”

Here’s the thing: When you tell me that Obama wrote his own speech for whatever occasion, I accept that with very little question. We’ve all seen him speak extemporaneously in interviews and briefings. He’s eloquent, measured, and thoughtful. His publicly available writings previous to becoming President are similar. I may suspect he’s let advisers give the speech a pass for fact-checking or basic editing, but I believe the words are his because I’ve seen him speak that way with no preparation.

When you tell me Trump has written his own speech and it’s not a meandering, incomprehensible, repetitious word-salad of “big league” and “fabulous” and “believe me” and “we’re gonna have the best blah blah” I have a hard time believing that. He talks like a buffoon and any of his own writing that I’ve seen (not The Art of the Deal) looks like a damn 10-year-old wrote it.

I don’t know, that speech sounded an awful lot like something Trump would have written out himself (with help from Ivanka and others) in his more lucid moments. If he used a speechwriter, they did a very nice job of making it sound like him. It was completely un-Presidential, and totally the wrong message to send in the moment, but it wasn’t a rambling mess either.

I look forward to the media picking it apart piece by piece this evening. It also probably had the intended effect, which was to shore up his popularity among some of his base who had been slowly starting to doubt his conviction. Trumpsters will be ecstatic today, reveling in the thought that their guy has reiterated his promises to drain the swamp, bring back the good jobs and put the JESUS back into 'Murica!

Oh, good. The official White House web site changeover has happened.

Edit: Plus, the LGBT page is gone too. Oh well. At least they added this one:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/law-enforcement-community

[quote]
The dangerous anti-police atmosphere in America is wrong. The Trump Administration will end it.[/quote]

Here’s some fun.

Compare President Obama’s archived White House Energy Policy page:

With President Trump’s page:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/america-first-energy