President Trump Optimism thread

To spin it another way, I’m actually now optimistic that if the House GOP stonewalls on investigations for 18 more months on this, they won’t get re-elected.

There’s no sign that the public is behind Trump or his Congressional defenders. Trump’s in Nixon-during-Watergate or Bush-after-Katrina territory already, and it hasn’t even been a month.

Ah, how I miss the halcyon days of competent, grounded, serious Presidential appointees like Michael D Brown.

Heckuva job!

Clay is right. It’s going to take seeing some consequences first hand before anyone gets too serious about “dump Trump” in the GOP.

And as @Taniel reminded yesterday on Twitter, in 2009 the Democrats had a string of crushing wins in 2009 special elections. It wasn’t until the 2010 midterms that things were revealed to be headed sideways in the House and Senate.

Which means to say that the Republicans may hold the Georgia 6th. They may do OK in the 2017 Virginia statewides. But If this current mess continues, there could be serious repercussions for the party in 2018.

@HumanTon I hope that you’re right about that, but between gerrymandering, the fact that none but the base-iest of the base vote in primaries and that not many more vote in midterm elections (especially Democratic-leaning demographics) I think that people in the safe R districts will keep voting for Rs if only to keep the “Demoncrats” out.

That is absolutely correct, in normal times.

These are clearly not normal times, and it’s looking less and less likely things will have normalized by 2018. Hence my mild optimism about 2018.

Sounding like Harward will be the Flynn replacement. Pretty decent choice, from what I’ve been able to read so far. Putting this in the Optimism thread for now, since he’s looking like a big step up from the previous bozo.

From what I’ve read, the major sticking point of him accepting the job offer is in regards to him being able to replace Flynn’s staff. One of the key members was given a personal guarantee from Trump that their job was safe, but Harward wants to bring in his own people.

Yeah, Harward is basically scrapping all the chumps involved now, and bringing in his own people.

Because they are actual professionals who know how to do the job.

Another f’ing tweet thread worth reading.

Basically, Trunp has been trying to get a trademark in Chins for 20 years and kept losing in court. He magically got it the day after agreeing to the one-China policy. That’s the definition of an emoluments clause violation.

I’m just ready for the payoff. Sick of all the teasing!!

That timeline is misleading. The critical event happened in November, just after the election, on November 13. There was a three-month period where someone could object, which just ended.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/14/the-associated-press-with-trumps-win-in-china-will-trump-toilets-get-flushed.html

I can’t believe more noise hasn’t been made about this.

Well, there have been so many other awful things that also deserved attention. I guess he can claim he wasn’t president when China awarded it to him.

Just a reminder that in the MAGA circles, Trump knocked it out of the park and succeeded on all measures.

https://twitter.com/eminemobama/status/832306610781446144

Did he hold a press conference and bitch about “3-5 million illegal votes” again?

I’d be surprised if he didn’t bring it up. He certainly seemed to bring up everything else

What are gold Muslim curtains? I don’t even know where people come up with that stuff. Is that lady angry because he hasn’t completely redecorated and it’s reminding her of Obama?

That might change- apathy was a big reason millenials didn’t vote- now they are scared just like old boomers are.

They might match the Boomers in fear and hatred now.

They’re the curtains Muslims use when they’re doing muslimy stuff like giving our uranium to Russia and forging birth certificates that can be used 50 years in the future.