President Trump Optimism thread

Meanwhile your boys are fritterin’, I say, fritterin’ away

ahem ahem, can’t remember the rest. Such a great song.

I made a Music Man still my temp FB profile image for a couple days after the election. Sadly I don’t think too many folks got the reference.

I’m just waiting for Trump to call off the House vote and say to everyone, “Aw, this isn’t really for you … healthcare is more of a Shelbyville idea.”

Shirley Jones in that movie was smokin’, so no wonder.

Sort of. Harold Hill turned out to be a great guy once he found a woman to tame his heart.

Isn’t Ivanka getting an office in the White House?

Eww, his daughter is the one who tames his heart?

Edit: Well, I dunno – maybe it could be like a Punky Brewster vibe. If Punky Brewster were a multimillionaire handbag merchant.

When Donald Trump
was watching his 16-year-old daughter Ivanka host the 1997 Miss Teen
USA pageant, he turned to the then-Miss Universe and asked: “Don’t you
think my daughter’s hot? She’s hot, right?”

Umm… yeah… wow… huh…

In the almost 20 years since, Mr Trump has called his eldest daughter
“voluptuous”. He’s said it’s OK to describe her as “a piece of ass”,
though she is a senior executive in his business empire. And he’s said
that, if she wasn’t his daughter, “perhaps [he’d] be dating her”.

On The Howard Stern Show, 2003

Donald Trump bragged about his then-22-year-old daughter’s body,
saying: “You know who’s one of the great beauties of the world,
according to everybody? And I helped create her. Ivanka.

“My daughter, Ivanka. She’s 6 feet tall, she’s got the best body. She made a lot money as a model—a tremendous amount.”

On the Dr Oz show, September 2016

The Republican was discussing long-awaited details about his health,
and was joined on stage for the pre-record by Ivanka. After they kissed,
the host commented: “It’s nice to see a dad kiss his daughter.”

According to several studio witnesses, Mr Trump replied that he
kisses Ivanka “with every chance [he] gets”. The comment was apparently
edited out of the final cut of the show when it went to air.

Plenty more where that came from too.

Yeah, I remember the ‘piece of ass’ comment.

Okay, so, Punky Brewster but with incest and nuclear war. I think we’ve got a hit!

Hey Punky Brewster grew up to be super hot.

Total aside here…

A couple of years ago we had a Project Manager on our team who was a bucket of TMI. We were at a client dinner, just chatting about personal lives and what-not. The subject of kids came up and people started sharing information on how many they have, how old they are, etc. The Project Manager pulls a picture out of her (yes, her) wallet and lays it out on the table. She said something to the effect of "This is my daughter. She’s 15. Doesn’t she look amazing? Look at those breasts! She developed so early. If I was a 20 year old guy, I’d be all over those. Can you imagine what they’ll look like when she’s in her 20’s? ".

It brought the conversation at the table to a screeching halt.

Anyway, that creepy “isn’t my kid F-able” thing is creepy when you see it 3rd hand; it’s, frankly, unsettling when you experience it in person. The stuff Trump says about Ivanka… if I were ever present to witness it in person, it’s possible I would explode in to a flaming ball of uncomfortableness.

It’s strange that FLOTUS doesn’t want to be in the White House, but FDOTUS(?) does? Why specifically does she want to be involved, with no appointed position, other than to appease the whims of her dad, who’s still essentially running his business empire despite the ethics of that.

I remember reading an article that Trump judges ALL women by appearance (as in your physical appearance is a measure of your worth, for men he uses money). He loves his daughter and thinks she is great, so in his head, the only way to say that is to comment on how hot she is and how much he’d totally bone her if he wasn’t her dad. I can see that angle.

It’s still really, really fucking creepy.

New poll out.

Long way to go to the mid-terms and 2020, but thankfully tRump has stamina (I can’t type it like he says it) and I have faith he can keep on being an assclown.

“Although taking a beating, he keeps on tweeting to the point where even his fiercely loyal base appears to be eroding,” said Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll.

“Most alarming for President Donald Trump, the demographic underpinnings of his support, Republicans, white voters, especially men and those without a college degree, are starting to have doubts.”

Ha, that’s a good tagline.

Trump. He takes a beating and keeps on tweeting.

There are two ways to look at the effect of Donald Trump’s presidency on American democracy. One is that he is a menace to the republic: that his attacks on journalists, federal judges, and constitutional norms undermine the rule of law. The other is that he is the greatest thing to happen to America’s civic and political ecosystem in decades.

These views are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they are causally related. The president’s attacks on established institutions have triggered a systemic immune response in the body politic, producing a surge in engagement among his opponents (and also his fans).

[…]

Since the early 1970s, the nation’s civic health—from membership in civic groups to attendance at public meetings to newspaper reading—has been in steady, severe decline. Economic inequality has fed political inequality in a viciously self-reinforcing loop of disenfranchisement and concentration of clout.

But now millions of people, once cynical bystanders, are participating earnestly. In mass marches and packed congressional town meetings, Americans have taken vocal stands for inclusion. At airports and campuses and street corners they have swarmed in defense of Muslim and undocumented neighbors. Membership in the ACLU and the League of Women Voters has swelled, as have subscriptions to leading newspapers.

Uhh… No. I get what the author is going for, but no thanks.

But, on the positive side, way to hit the “optimism” angle!

The Atlantic: Fart-Sniffing Toward Armageddon

There’s a dollop of truth there. Unfortunately, history shows that even if the patient produces tons of new antibodies to fight the infection, that doesn’t guarantee the patient’s health improves.

Immediately after Watergate people made the same argument - this will trigger a new wave of civic engagement. And it was true to an extent. Lots of people were motivated to engage in politics that hadn’t before. But that only applied to some; an even larger number of people more became turned off and alienated. So on net trust in public institutions declined.

It sounds kinda bad when you add it all up…

Doesn’t look like anything to me.