President Trump Optimism thread

Precisely why I amended rich’s statement. Trump seems hell bent on fucking up his way into a war.

Yeah, John Oliver raised similar concerns last week. Who would step up to the plate if Trump were to be impeached / removed.

If Trump gets impeached, the GOP isn’t going to be able to do anything. That’s why they will resist it as much as possible. It’s not like they are going to be able to say, “yeah… So that guy who we all totally supported and said was fine turned out to be so bad that we had to impeach him… But we are totally cool now! Trust us!”

No. That’s what this has demonstrated. The GOP is not qualified to govern, at all.

George Washington was not born in the U.S. either, but they sure took Obama to task over that.

My concern is that the Republicans have already crossed the Rubicon. If they think that losing an election= going to jail, I’m really afraid that in the areas they control, it will be outright rigging Venezuela-style to keep power.

I remember the General Assembly putting on the table in 2016 in the governor’s election here just saying the vote total was in dispute so we declare McCrory the winner because we can.

I really hope it doesn’t come down to such a scenario- the military will have to involve itself at that point, as it’s almost certain that in an obviously stolen election parts of the country would just declare the federal government invalid and probably start a legitimate government.

Also, I’m concerned that Trump will convince the Dems (with very legitimate reasons) that it’s ok for them to use the same raw power politics (though I’d probably cheer it). This will cause a violent reaction in red areas.

They won’t impeach him. Any wrong during prior to the election will be “but he was a private citizen.” Any wrongdoing after …¯_(ツ)_/¯

If Dem’s flip the House, it would behoove them not to impeach trump (for a host of reasons) even if there is broad public support. Republicans have to own this assclown - and they won’t. There is literally nothing trump can do short of raising the top marginal tax rate that will compel them to abandon him.

Imagine a scenario where Clinton won, Comey re-opened the email investigation and she responded by firing him. Benghazi!

EDIT: Completely irrelevant but this is hilarious - the lasting impact of trump:

No it wouldn’t. It would prove the “they’re all the same” argument and they’d lose the next election. The Democrats have a chance to be the party of law and order, the Republicans have officially given up that mantle and it’s free for the taking. The entire GOP is corrupt and everyone can see it. Impeaching Trump and stonewalling Pence is the path. Mostly because Pence isn’t likely to start any wars or destroy international accords.

The smart move would be that they start passing a ton of laws restricting the power of the President, but they wont do that because they’re going to win in 2020, so they want their guy to have all these nigh-unlimited powers that Trump just discovered for them.

He won’t get convicted in the Senate even if he’s impeached, so there’s no Pence regardless.

Republicans have to own trump; if Democrats impeach him, Republicans will claim Democrats are delegitimizing the democratic process, and the MSM in their BothSides zeal will (gleefully) pick up that baton and run with it. Instead of focusing on the merits, we’ll be faced with think pieces from “very serious liberals” that “yes trump has done wrong but ‘we’ shouldn’t subvert the will of the people yadayada …” and I’m afraid it will backfire (see Clinton’s approval ratings after he was impeached.) At least that’s my take.

Totally agree with this though!

Yeah, because it gets viewers, expect lots of chirons and huge headlines that say “Are Democrats thwarting the will of the voters with impeachment?” And it’ll be on CNN, not just FOX News and Breitbart.

Since this is the optimism thread: Donnie is actually learning!

Donald Trump has told Theresa May in a phone call he does not want to go ahead with a state visit to Britain until the British public supports him coming.

The US president said he did not want to come if there were large-scale protests and his remarks in effect put the visit on hold for some time.

The call was made in recent weeks, according to a Downing Street adviser who was in the room. The statement surprised May, according to those present.

I mean sure, “I don’t want to come to your country because I’ll look bad, and oh yeah, you’ll have to spend a bunch to manage the protesters” isn’t the height of tact. But given what he probably wanted to say is, “Screw you and your whole country. You’re all losers!” it’s a major jump in diplomacy for him.

Oh, and your regular reminder as to how incompetent the Trump Administration is:

Trump has named Woody Johnson, a Republican donor and owner of the New York Jets, as the new ambassador to the UK but has yet to nominate him formally. A large number of US ambassadorial positions remain unfilled worldwide largely due to the Trump team failing to make any formal nominations.

But it’s fine, it’s not like the UK is a major ally or anything.

They have a free press and he will have to listen to questions about Russia. Of course he doesn’t want to go.

Donnie needs his safe space

“To paraphrase the late Christopher Hitchens, if Donald Trump were given an enema before his funeral, they could bury him in a match box.”

May is now saying the visit isn’t cancelled … but notably isn’t mentioning any time frame for it to take place, even a very general one. So, a non-confirmation confirmation.

Just on hold until it can be assured that the crowds won’t be all booing or doing an impression of Scots in Braveheart. Might take a while…

[quote]Taken together that is a 16-point swing, from a net 7 percentage points on the positive side in the first 100 days to a net 9 points on the negative side in May. That’s far greater than the overall change in the Gallup data and it may be a sign of an important shift in those places.

The military communities weren’t the only big movers in the Gallup data. Trump’s job approval in exurban communities — wealthy conservative places largely on the edges of urban centers — slid 12 points and dropped into negative territory. But the decline in military communities would be especially noteworthy if it holds in future polls.[/quote]

None of that means anything. They might not approve of the job Trump is doing, but they still won’t vote for a Democrat.

Assuming that’s how it actually happened. My guess is that they were told, “We’re delaying any visit for the foreseeable future, make up your own cover of how you did this of your own volition to save face”.

You’d be surprised.

Bernie’s popularity in polls was only a bit behind Trump’s. They hated Hillary though. Saw a bunch of AF Times polls back during the 2016 primaries.