President Trump Optimism thread

Optimism time: the fiduciary rule came into effect, even though Trump said he would repeal it, because he’s too lazy to nominate people to run the department in charge.

Awesome AP fact check:

You only ask folks who you know really well to pledge their loyalty to you.

One time I asked some strangers to be loyal to me and the next thing I know I’m at the head of an army. You gotta be careful with that shit; we sacked Cleveland before I realized how far things had gone.

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/873290967297789952

… and the Cuyahoga burned once more ;)

This. Watching Trump implode over his final two years and reaping the benefit in the 2020 elections would be wonderful.

The hell it would. He’s too dangerous.

Well, short of him dying in office or resigning I wouldn’t count on him being out of the White House before 2020. The GOP senate is not going to impeach him.

I don’t disagree, but that doesn’t mean watching him implode and potentially try to set the world on fire is something I will relish. Frankly, he doesn’t need the democrats to have a majority to stop legislation from getting done. We’ve already seen that. It might be better to force republicans to completely own this until 2020 and not give them “obstructionist democrats” as an excuse (which Trump is already using, but it is a ridiculously lame excuse to cover for his own massive incompetence and everyone but his most ardent supporters (whose minds won’t be changed) already know this.

I think there are two things going on. One is, Republicans in Power. Whether it’s President Trump, Pence, Ryan, Hatch, will mean the same for legislation and judicial appointments. Two is whether Trump’s colossal incompetence may have deeper consequences than the usual left/right issues (best case: weakened U.S. leadership; worst case: flooded coastlines and/or nuclear war).

Whatever happens, I don’t really see how we resolve the problem that there are 60 million people who thought it was a good idea to make this guy President. Team membership has overridden all other values in our society. People would literally rather watch the world burn (or bake) just because it pisses off liberals.

Things are pretty grim. What encouragement I have I take from the relative absence of total dumbassery in certain other countries, plus some bright minds in our own private sector.

I’m curious if, just as Brexit seemed to presage our election of Trump, this latest election in Britain will foretell a coming backlash against him. I realize it’s not an exact 1:1 but the same forces seem to be in play.

That they are. The GOP isn’t even releasing a draft for their Wealth Care bill - they’re sending it to CBO for scoring and then a vote. IOW they are passing legislation in secret. The Russians don’t have to screw with our democracy, Republicans are doing it all on their own.

Reince the brown-noser in chief

All I could think of is this scene from Blazing Saddles if someone didn’t join in:

I honestly still don’t understand how the latest vote in the UK translates to support for Brexit.

Who did the UKIP voters vote for this time? Were they voting for the conservative party? For labor? It seems like there’s reactionary nationalist elements in both of those parties.

Is this recent election being seen as a rejection of Brexit?

Heh, and Chuck Schumer responds:

This is what I’m seeing, though I am no expert and haven’t followed very closely. More directly, it’s a rejection of May obviously, and her party.

OMG that’s hilarious

A bit of both. Based on the data so far, it seems mostly Tory, but not as overwhelmingly so as expected.

It seems the breakdown of votes was 54% center left/ left, 45% center right/ right. So while it is hard to parse if this was a rejection of Brexit on principle, it almost certainly is a clear rejection of the hard Brexit that May was pushing. But so many other issues crop up that any clear implications on whether people want to remain in the EU are tough to tell.

Obvious caveat of American who is largely reading what smarter people are saying on this subject (i.e. reading what various British sources are saying)